Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Books?

jbisme

Okay, I need some bedtime reading material. The truck I just purchased for my in-laws is a 1985 F-150 with the 351 Windsor engine. Would you recommend these books? I think I will buy these 2 for the 351, but if you think there is a better book out there, tell me about it.

Full color pictures could be a plus with this one.
[ame=[url]http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Small-Block-Ford-Color-Design/dp/1932494898/ref=pd_sim_b_10]Amazon.com[/url]: How to Rebuild the Small Block Ford-Color Edition (SA Design) (9781932494891): George Reid: Books[/ame]

Speedway also sells this one and the Amazon comments seem positive.
[ame=[url]http://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-Small-Block-Ford-Engines/dp/0912656891/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b]Amazon.com[/url]: How to Rebuild Small-Block Ford Engines (0075478568918): Tom Monroe: Books[/ame]

Also, I'm looking for a book on the 1966 352 big block Ford engine and this book might be okay as it is highly rated.
[ame=[url]http://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-BIG-BLOCK-FORD-ENGINES/dp/0895860708/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2WCRTL5ZDGBET&colid=JFDHW0XRSLUI]Amazon.com[/url]: How To Rebuild BIG-BLOCK FORD ENGINES (9780895860705): Steve Christ: Books[/ame]

Any suggestions would be great. Especially if you can offere an additional book I should have. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm capable of following good instructions with lots of pictures. The Chilton books that O'Reilly parts sells are okay, and I will get one for this truck; but they can be vague in their descriptions and sometimes not very helpful.

I used to be a magazine and car book junkie, bought everything I could find on the news stands or book store. But since the advent of the internet I hardly ever buy one these days. There is just so much good info and you can literally put in any key words and get tons of things to look at. It is the one thing Al Gore was right about.

I can't speak directly about the books you have cited, but it has been my experience that most of them have old information or information that does not directly relate to what a person is doing. Whereas the internet is constantly being updated and forums like this one host questions on a daily basis that can solve lots of problems for you.

Perfect example is the engine I am putting together for my 27 Ford. It always had a 30 over 302 Ford in it so I was just going to go with that same combo again, but with a roller cam version. However, after much reading on the internet I considered a 347 stroker, but read so much about oil burning and shortened life that I just ordered a 331 stroker kit instead. Without the internet I wouldn't have known which direction to go.

Just my opinion.

Don

Try this one its called How to get a wore out 1985 F-150 with the 351 Windsor engine to run another 100,000 miles. It might be in the fiction section.

JBiz bill get it figured out he dont need no book.

Maybe I need a book if I want to read during my lunch break at work. Did you ever think of that one, bad chicken? :lol: Wore out 351, hardly. :naughty: If I had a movie camera, you would see it doesn't even shake the truck at an idle. I wish I could say the same for my 1991 strait 6. I'm very impressed by this truck.

I can't speak directly about the books you have cited, but it has been my experience that most of them have old information or information that does not directly relate to what a person is doing. Whereas the internet is constantly being updated and forums like this one host questions on a daily basis that can solve lots of problems for you.

Perfect example is the engine I am putting together for my 27 Ford. It always had a 30 over 302 Ford in it so I was just going to go with that same combo again, but with a roller cam version. However, after much reading on the internet I considered a 347 stroker, but read so much about oil burning and shortened life that I just ordered a 331 stroker kit instead. Without the internet I wouldn't have known which direction to go.

Don, I'm a novice mechanic at best, I don't understand what a 347 or 331 stroker is without looking it up. I know what a 302 Ford is, only because a former car of mine had one. (I hated that car!) Sorry, the words "30 over" don't mean anything to me.:confused:

When I get back to the boat car and I'm finally ready to work on the 352 engine, there could be hundreds of questions followed by hundreds of "please explain that to me's." I can rebuild carbureators and brakes, so I know I'm capable of anything else engine-wise, but I lack the experience.

Keep after me guys, you'll teach this kid stuff.

I can rebuild carbureators and brakes, so I know I'm capable of anything else engine-wise, but I lack the experience.

By "Rebuilding Carbureators" do you mean you can replace parts or you can hot tank the body to flush out the shellac built up inside?

Take apart, put in new parts and it still works when I'm done.

Funny story, when I was 7 I thought the lawnmower needed some work and I took every screw and needle out of the carbureator. It didn't need all those pesky screws, did it?

Now see if I had a book, I would have known better.

If you go to your search engine and do a search for google books then at their site search for what your are interested in ...you will get a listing and a lot of them have a preview and some actually have the entire book to preview.... search for hot rod, or small block ford, etc and see if you want to buy the printed copy

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back