Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

brake plumbing

Johnny

Alright, guys, I'm going to start getting things together for plumbing the brakes. Opinions and thoughts: Would it be money well spent to purchase a kit, or cheaper to buy the parts? What parts do I need?
I think it would be:
3/16 steel line; 3/8 inverted flare fittings(several); MC fittings to adapt to 3/8 inverted flare; T fittings(2); 3/16 line clamps; proportioning valve; 2 lb. and 10 lb. residual valves; flexible brake lines to each wheel.

Does that look about right? Also, when ya purchase the flare fittings, do ya have to buy male and female separate or do they come in sets?

Thanks,
Johnny

If you are using 3/16" line why do you have 3/8" fittings listed. If using inverted flare fittings for brakes you'll have to purchase a "double flare" tool. You should never use a single 45 degree flare on brakes. If you want to avoid the double flaring, you can use AN fitting as they only need a single 37 degree flare but you'll have to purchase a 37 degree flaring tool. Also, if you choose to go the AN route I would highly advise not using aluminum fittings because of the high pressure in the system.

Jim

Here is a good set of videos from spirit telling exactly what you need.
1st video

2nd

3rd

4th

Didn't want to post actual videos this is better uses less bandwidth.
got order screwed up somehow but they are there.

If you are using 3/16" line why do you have 3/8" fittings listed. If using inverted flare fittings for brakes you'll have to purchase a "double flare" tool. You should never use a single 45 degree flare on brakes. If you want to avoid the double flaring, you can use AN fitting as they only need a single 37 degree flare but you'll have to purchase a 37 degree flaring tool. Also, if you choose to go the AN route I would highly advise not using aluminum fittings because of the high pressure in the system.

Jim

I'm a dumb newbie, Jim. I do want to use double flare fittings. Which do I have wrong? The size of brake line or the fittings? The AN stuff is more expensive, and won't fit into my budget.

Thanks,
Johnny

I'm a dumb newbie, Jim. I do want to use double flare fittings. Which do I have wrong? The size of brake line or the fittings? The AN stuff is more expensive, and won't fit into my budget.

Thanks,
Johnny
Watch the videos they explain everything they tell the whole story. Your fittings should match your line size.Unless you are talking about the size wrench it takes then they are right.

Okay, I'm getting really confused here. I just looked in the Speedway book and it says to use the 3/8"-24 inverted flare nuts with the 3/16" brake line. Help! What am I not getting?

Thanks, guys, for your patience with a newbie.

Johnny, yes you need the 3/8-24 fittings, to connect your lines to your tee's and and front and rear brakes cylinders.

Eric

Ok hate to be the bearer of bad news but with the questions asked.I would recommend you get somebody that knows brakes over to help you with this part of the project. Seeing that this could have major repercussions if done wrong. Sorry just don't want to see anybody hurt.Usually we can talk somebody through a problem but I don't want to be responsible when it comes to brakes. With someone inexperienced.JMO

Okay, I'm getting really confused here. I just looked in the Speedway book and it says to use the 3/8"-24 inverted flare nuts with the 3/16" brake line. Help! What am I not getting?

Thanks, guys, for your patience with a newbie.

The 3/8" refers the outside diameter the body of the fitting NOT the tubing size and the 24 refers to the number of threads per inch on that fitting. In the case of the nut it refers to the inside of it not the tubing size. I hope that this clears things up a bit for you.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back