Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Budget bucket build....

well it looks like its time to start on another one....

I've had a bunch of parts laying around for quite a while now and now i have a couple of bucks to put into the thing so lets get rolling.

so far i have a pretty heavy and solid 23 body, a 454/thm400, a 40 ford front axle, split wishbones, 55 chevy rear end with 3.55 gears (needs brakes), 48 ford front spindles and kingpins, assorted rear springs, mustang radiator, windshield, steering wheel headlight stands, real nice chrome 5 spokes and coker wide white bigs n littles, and maybe a couple of other odds and ends...

i'm seriously considering unloading the engine/trans for a nice small block (if anyone is interested) but we'll see how that plays out.... i have more small block parts lying around than big block stuff.

right now i have about $0 in the whole thing as all of this is leftovers from past projects that i have turned profit on.

i'm going to give myself an initial budget of 2000-2500 to get it as far as i can.

first things first... build a frame
need to get it rolling so i need a front spring and front brakes (disc) and rear radius rods. after that its going to be scroungeville to put the rest of it together.

deep breath..... exhale....

time to start shopping....

What spring do you want a regular or reversed I have both.The regular is 31" I think the reversed is 29 I will have to measure.Check with Ron at RPM one of our sponsors for radius rods.

Your list looks like a great start to a pretty cool little bucket. Be sure to take lots of pictures and do updates often..........we love both. :):)

Don

If you are going to mount the front spring between the 'bones you want a 31" spring.

Ron

As per usual... all of my plans went out the window.

I have a pretty solid idea what a t bucket should look like and my pile of parts wasn't going to get it, so i'm going to push them off to the side and do some hustling.

i sold a couple of frames and an old body to come up with some scratch.

the rear wheels i have are ford pattern but my rear end is a chevy. i really dont wanna run adapters so i found a nice narrow 9" instead.

I didnt wanna mess with turning radius issues with the 40 axle and split wishbones so i"m picking up a new so-cal 4" dropped I beam axle and i bought a posies low reversed eye spring.

i decided that since i dont wanna mess with spindle mount wires and alot of the stuff that makes a real nice early 60's bucket, i'm going to go back to my first love which is the t-modified.

gonna fab up a model a style frame and take it from there.

the idea is to build a car that looks like it was built for the dry lakes and updated in the 60's. 32 grille shell, full hood, tonneau, the whole bit.

so the big block is out. picked up an early 327 builder and trans. the BBC and TH400 goes on the market to fund all of the engine work

i still need to order a bunch of speedway stuff so i can put the chassis on wheels, so hopefully in about 2 months I'll have a roller.

Yippie!

Sounds like a great plan. I like the theme, the t modified! What year body are you using?

Ron

You sound like me. I change directions on a build daily. :eek: Usually it works out in the end though.

I think you made some good decisions with the front end and all .

Don

well...
i did it again.

I found a real nice steel 23 body, turtle deck and tank in the local classifieds...

time to sell this glass body and some other stuff to pay for it...

also found a guy who fabricates model A front frame sections so i bought a pair.

picked up my 9 inch rear end on sunday.

my spring gets shipped tomorrow.

got some model a headlights.

i think i'm gonna buy a welders series flat front cross member .

moving right along.

and it happens again.

talking to a guy about trading my engine for this and that, i wound up trading my 23 body for a nice steel 27 body (which is what i really wanted anyway)

found a pretty nice A frame locally

found some 36 rear bones on the net

bought a like new Miller syncrowave 180sd over the weekend.

still need my front axle and stuff to bolt my front wheels to, but we're moving right along.

I'm not starting ANYTHING until i have everything to put together the roller.

Sounds like your having fun collecting parts.

Once you figure out what some of the parts will be, post pictures. Don't post pictures of stuff that you will end up trading though, that would be anti-clamactic.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back