Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Track Bucket build

Found a good arrival about they bucket. Can’t make the link work but go to “Tbucket Plans . Com then blog and scroll down.

Assuming I deciphered this correctly I went through all 23 pages of the blog on that page and didn't see any of the titles mentions corvair steering box rebuilds

I finally got to take my car out on the dirt to play! It was a blast!!! After the first 2 sessions i was feeling comfortable with the car and was able to slide it through the turns a little and got up to 50 mph in the straights and 40 through the turns. I did break the mount for the steering box but that was attached by the previous owner and I wanted to move it anyway.

348285213_1195964381063521_5886373403142678812_n.jpg

348581980_950206159360016_5516112092218361634_n.jpg

This one is a special once a year event at this location. There are several others though and they also do vintage track time at some of the modern diet track car races. There are also 3 paved drag racing events, 2 gravel drag events(4 days) and a road course setup on actual streets!

This event was Circle M speedway in Auburn PA
Last weekend was a vintage dirt track event at Lincoln Speedway near Hanover PA
The drag events are in Boiling Springs PA
Gravel drags in Allentown PA
Road course is in Coatesville PA

This is the first time in my recollection that one of our members has posted pictures of a competition of this type on this site. Looks like a barrel of fun and I am envious. Most of our T-buckets look like they would be at home on an asphalt drag strip, but there aren't many that would look right (as yours does!) on a track. Way to go, and please keep posting race pics from any events you participate in. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

(PS - Almost makes me want to build another T just for vintage track racing! almost :rolleyes:)

BUILD IT BUILD IT!!!! It sure is a lot of fun. I will definitely keep posting updates from the races. Thanks for the compliment of my car lookign right on the track, I've been working hard trying to make this car look that part.

I'm going to try removing the steering box mount tonight and look at new options for closer to the firewall. I think i'm going to have to mount it flat to the frame so I can't use a lifted mount like CCR sells. I will try to gusset the flat mount to the frame on both sides if i can. I hope i can get all the bolt holes to clear around the frame though.

After removing the box it looks like I won't be able to mount it as close to the firewall as I thought as it will hit the trans support bracket. I think the below photo is my only location to mount it.
o9Mrxw1_Qg9OGXJ8RoiJHS2SVyTdwmqkY8j3DN-9KGiycD4rSNXWj_mDpMxU67s1oG-tNodi9tPFPA6u69ijSCL7JDRlFuVElSyb7VpNYT3MK3mY19OUIrToDIeFaVLGei2Se0hq0PoLKRGL6JFkmlKSZZw98X0CrFvXIdu5NZDsWd3BxYsO18cK4JTUsULeHfV_Y1Xf03WzjpsTKQYiqy8_fswAMo-NMep4Jx3D7pJBBDzJ7z5Wa1WKuosHdmsm2B7HxbgUtJs2A-m8LjC31GhdByb6mKohP8t43D-SCr_vDOo9xB6XmvrKFiD8rlOTwynIjbzp5n6jlAInpd3duU2u_Htu-WCv-5JeGg09CmUaIxRwI-SN4O9FhxlyrUs8vacFVSH8eQtX5xaWydlkrhRdaMecL8QFjhcKHjIL4MObgy7Gd8u6Hc2vT_z4qr3pyg5bFX5_AYxqhzY9VLq_rVUvPimVpsexprHBUKKik6_o_NfRHcZTso5eopBPF4nkkSfq2E2ihtLcwHB5Utz6wKSVQ-5zTASoCNoA-0QG69Cy7D1GxztK5fkDKX3caCURLJmJPi2UNth6Yx-n26rtm6igKiBJe5cpo-kfD0RqLEGsysyeMZyZNxT6u9dX_D6YglgRNPqyM4OlG70nfgllCX-KMDw_gI3iTRBXpwuwUiZ0gm4m49DIMCrkBNehBUFuwjeP7Cj2XrUlFlOjBqjx_nrPIu2qlsUJzozGt3C0yDImStFD01dhHUUeOUOq1Cp1pecAftyLZRXOfKiSshFA-3ygf6YVODV7LIRRpwGaV9n-CL6DKtrarbqtV28zjMGrSfvWpeVwk68_u9mhJSCd6Y87-Sqjr0XiWQGdcQuIEmqPbYrM_aB-dj54s0Z5rxAFy_YkfbvnZYr83ay3zWY3iZkaBIoiwgxf7pGLKEoOcp4VN9qzjQ=w1752-h1314-s-no

Mounting it here also allows me to access the adjustment screw on the opposite side. Not sure if that is too much angle in the u joint though. Below is a photo showing the bracket that's in the way when I try to mount it lower
8m3IcBfTibX8Fpegtj8Op9nunhenglaxG8vaA4e-FfGkm2GjUr9noLPYDOpRaDa54nksmLsSVPkJxA6H2pTMQLWTzgMuHxXI5UDFLziZh4h9h44qcYSiSDDMmZffdpATwv4m7nRB14OpYpMQiACtVYlKxxdhrHMPzm9fCCDqbFoxGJS9apb4bkHw72N7xcslNeh9rX4sfzP3cn1eqHpXiuWWWCQqXgwLdZ8t6xkSTWgQWwQvMvFy7nuQM_76Ee4yMOLfHYz3838C1ZUjyy2_935kI_sKPKROF2SpjemAComdASlnD333291HWsTYPzuCCrwbtrfnVWFhbnv3iuyNYy43gu3WVAdEZKk-Zpmzb2-X02hyqIKUTXdrvim9k43AJGbnC9IbCx6VrB7t00cgLOCcwe4GcB4k1bjuEchahA7N4c1BstftATqLJEWQ8bIbOIpkcMlXwK01McmlYVDy9AWIYQ6f-4BITNpsW9mJ7BtMeftcWqJC2b-2YHdPwzAQxas6ukLJPUwCp8llVtMu2s_1VdMZBasw58ikDUso6rrbBm0GjNQIpWL71y5f4tPfupQVKzhnSgGB3Qu5jCJBsbkbZ6IrA8E5AXAXDMTTR08XmZihfNgl_WVVhH3g3o-sEx0tPGE43UK3FxglFWNRaiDVG1Au-JKKqWFQ-zkqILluSmi6D4pvtqefvjIt5AwBo0tV8zmcKBch7prs6-kLS3Et09c2SMlw9eXZ2AUCxLYmsPBfV7ZXM7NmZpSfYoER1v6k0gNsFYOnXgFj8MBRIDnJrERahi8eZ3NyvyGuTkmKS7M4cBz4eI4iSSMa5YX32P2Q3hX9sST3HEDVvYGNpIVDAI7FU5CVQdnEpYlEE3ARxUT9D92B_Uiro4e9Z_O8W7FxkNds1YcRNXF1y1cbkme23gMXcvQGgF2Z1qdOGbFslkN1cA=w1752-h1314-s-no

Make sure that u-joint angle is not greater than 35 degrees. From the camera angle it looks pretty close. If it is, you might want to change to a double u-joint coupler. You don't want to over stress that u-joint in a race and break it.

Thanks I thought the angle looked like a lot. I figured there was a number not to go past. I will check the angle out tonight and see if I can find any other mounting positions for the box

Ugh this project is still fighting me the entire way! After more garage time putting the steering box in various locations it either hits the trans bracket or won't line up with the steering column. I can't move the steering column at the firewall because i'm going to use one of these flange bearings to support it which means there isn't much wiggle room in mounting.
iu

I thought of trying to use a double u joint but then that would require a support heim which i'm not sure where'd i'd mount that and then I feel like it's going to start looking like a cobbled mess.
https://www.amazon.com/SOUTHWEST-STEERING-STRENGTH-UNIVERSAL-BEARINGS/dp/B01HBWGT72?th=1

I don't even think the position i posted before would work because there is not enough engagement on the steering box splines. I'd have to mount the box lower and get a longer steering shaft but then the box is going to interfere with the trans support bracket.

I think i'm going to name this car PITA

Sorry you're having these issues. There IS a solution: we just have to find it! What about rethinking the transmission bracket that's causing the interference? If it were more of an "L" shape, dropping straight down from the engine block and then back to the transmission at a right angle would it cause less interference? Someone with a plasma cutter could cut one out of 1/4 inch plate for you in a heartbeat (Ron Pope?) and even weld a little gusset for added rigidity if necessary. Whaddaya think?

Sorry you're having these issues. There IS a solution: we just have to find it! What about rethinking the transmission bracket that's causing the interference? If it were more of an "L" shape, dropping straight down from the engine block and then back to the transmission at a right angle would it cause less interference? Someone with a plasma cutter could cut one out of 1/4 inch plate for you in a heartbeat (Ron Pope?) and even weld a little gusset for added rigidity if necessary. Whaddaya think?

I was thinking about that if there would be any way to make the bracket hug the block more. Tomorrow I will take the bracket off and see how much room it could give me. I think it may already be pretty close to the block though.

But just for confirmation when using a u joint such as this...
41NvcKpQ4ZL._AC_.jpg

it would need to be supported in the middle right?

...Maybe try removing the trans bracket, fit the steering box to where it needs to be, then redesign the bracket. a thick plate on the flywheel shield(it can even be bigger to catch any bolts that are lower) and then have the bracket hug the oil pan

If the steering shaft is supported (like you're going to) and the steering box is mounted solid, I don't see why you would need a centre support on the double uni.

But just for confirmation when using a u joint such as this...
41NvcKpQ4ZL._AC_.jpg

it would need to be supported in the middle right?

Not really. My support bearing is about 3" away from the double U. The idea is to support the shaft so it's not too "floppy" with the double U.

This is what I had to do using a double U Joint..........This half rack Steering gear will fix the problems.......More photos can be had...........

Attachments

• 36641623_10215721157958356_2789888572251963392_n.jpg
    36641623_10215721157958356_2789888572251963392_n.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 21
Thanks everybody I misunderstood what it meant when it's said that double u joints need to be supported, I thought it had to be supported in the center between the two actual u joints. I think a double u joint with the support bearing at the firewall will work out well and not require any modifications or remaking the trans brace.

That's a slick setup lincolnut, the unisteer is really cool but i want to use a steering box to maintain the vintage look of the car.

I will order the double u tonight and post photos of mounting locations once it arrives. Thanks again!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back