Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Canadians ordering from the US -save brokerage fees

all-world1

I found this neat article in the latest local street rod assn newsletter. It's an instruction on how to clear your own UPS package and save on both duty and outrageous brokerage fees.

1. Take Tracking # (package ID #) over to your local UPS Depot. Supply them with the Tracking # or Package ID #. Tell them you are clearing your package from whomever. They will hand you the paperwork.

2. Take your paperwork over to Canada Border Services Agency (formerly Canada Customs). Tell them you are clearing a package. They will check the paperwork and ask any questions. If these are antique auto parts, make sure you state that because they are duty free. (best to have the supplier mark antique auto parts on the package before shipping). They will convert the US $ value to Can $ and charge you the PST and GST on the Can $ value.

3. Take the stamped papers over to the UPS Depot and pick up your package. They will return the papers to you.

der Spieler said:
Yeah. What about NAFTA!!

I guess it ain't for the little guy. If they can find a way tax you, bend over. :eek:

That does work, but only catch is that most of the custom houses are on the border, if you are not close to the border you have to drive there to do this for me that is a 4 hour drive :|

Another way around it is to use the USPS, they do not charge a "brokerage" fee (for UPS its $39.99) but you will still get hit taxes.

The last way around it and one that I have used a couple times is to have the sender mark it as a "gift". I usually have things shipped to my folks in Ohio and they forward it up to me. So far so good.

USPS works well, but some suppliers won't use them because of inconvenience or they're already setup with UPS or Fedex.

I could use someone to send me a t body as a gift...lol

Crossed the border several times but never ship anything across. guess I never worry about it? lol
Allworld1 do you got a boat? I could meet ya someplace out in the middle of lake of the woods next time you need a body. Always looking for an excuse to go fishing. hehehe. I suppose the border patrol is already following this thread. Oh well, wouldnt be the first time Ive been stripped down to my underwear by them guys...

norseman said:
Crossed the border several times but never ship anything across. guess I never worry about it? lol
Allworld1 do you got a boat? I could meet ya someplace out in the middle of lake of the woods next time you need a body. Always looking for an excuse to go fishing. hehehe. I suppose the border patrol is already following this thread. Oh well, wouldnt be the first time Ive been stripped down to my underwear by them guys...

That's hilarious norseman. Funny you should mention it, I do have a housetrailer and boat on Longbow which drains into L of the Woods but I never thought of using it for "practical purposes". Don't think I'll cross into US waters because Youngster will want to strip out the 3.0L chev engine...lol

I can read the headlines now, t bucket parts smuggling ring busted , operators stripped of their canpasses..
Its cool with the new GPS technology you can see where the border is right on your screen. Fished minnesota/ontario/manitoba in the same day a few times, mostly by accident! lol.

not to worry craig. just found a boat motor and trailer for $100. i could glass the floor in my speedway body, put some numbers on it and row it to you though!!

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back