Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Carbon fouling plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once the idle Mixture is correct, .... shouldn't care how its done.... either by turning some screws on the side of a metering plate, Making a boomarang fly thru a hole, or wrinkle your mouth while doing a shot of tequila. All other parimeters should be established to be correct, then and only then can a correct diagnosis be established.
Get the motor close, timing wise, have the correct thermo installed, have some good clean fuel in there, idled correctly, NO Major Vaccum Leaks, and carb set as it should be, then we can diagnose the running rich. Its best not to go willy/nilly changing heat ranges more than 2 ranges on a stock motor. I know he only said one....but that should not need to be done on a stock motor
Before we can tell someone that a holley blue pump is pushing fuel past a needle valve, causing a over-rich situation in the carb, we need to know all else is correct, as per Mike!
This scattergun approach isn't good for the diagnosis, my head, the cars plugs or the motor. If your fouling plugs, how do you know your not washing out your rings? If your washing the cylinder wall down with some raw fuel, before the plug fires and burns it....your removing ring lubrication on the cylinderwalls....and that is oil....from the crankcase.

Almost a full page of posts and we aren't any closer to diagnosing this ailment....
I hear a saying from a old television series, 'The Prisoner', where #2 always says what he wants....'INFOMATION'

Last edited:
Almost a full page of posts and we aren't any closer to diagnosing this ailment....
I suspect the OP isn't overly familiar with carb principles. His posts suggest a belief that the motor is running rich because the carb is too big:

"I put smaller jets in the carb to try to stop it from running so rich for this engine. Got it down to about what a 500 carb should be." Later, he also said that "The 600 is too much carb for this engine BUT it is cheaper than the 500 CFM. I just changed the jets to the smallest on the Edelbrock scale chart."

I can't tell you what the problem is, but it clearly has nothing to do with carburetor size or jetting. Heck, it might not even be fuel-related. If the OP is still here, someone needs to work through this with him one step at a time. A good question and answer session would get that off to a running start... ;)

Jack

I concurr....A couple of good photos of the ass end of the plugs would help emensely.

Correction....
I concurr....A couple of good photos of the ass end of the (carbon fouled) plugs would help emensely.

Yep, pics of the plugs would be a big help. Here's where I would start with Q&A. These are very general questions, tailored to the OP's description of the motor:

Does the motor smoke (idle or accelerating or decelerating)?

Do the plugs look like they're fouled with oil or with gas?

Are all the plugs fouled?

Do both idle screws peak the motor RPM (turning them either direction from the peak causes RPM to decrease)?

Is the choke off?

Is the air cleaner in good condition?

Is the idle smooth?

Does the motor miss under acceleration with new plugs?

Has the dwell been set?

Has the timing been set with vacuum advance disconnected from the distributor?

Just my $.02 on the situation...

Is the choke off?
Asked and answered. See Post #18. He has defeated the choke, by wiring it open. Which may be part of his problem, if all of his driving is short trips. But, until he chooses to supply additional details, we are spinning our wheels

That is the problem with these kinds of threads. People ask for help and then the thread fills up with posts that are of little help, at all. All the way from people offering pi**-poor advice, such as how to incorrectly set idle mixture screws, to people re-asking answered questions. And let's face it, if you asked for help and someone offered you the kind of bass-ackwards advice as 21Scott provided, that would do nothing but put you out in left field. And I don't know about you, but when someone gives me a bum steer, I generally don't come back for more of the same. 21Scott has a boo-boo lip over my calling out his nonsense, but when people without a clue start trying to offer useless and flat-out wrong advice, it is time to change the way things are being done.

Several people have asked for additional details, which have not been supplied. That tells me that either the Butch has solved the problem, or is no longer seeking help for the problem. For multiple people to pile in here, asking for the same answers to the same questions that were answered several posts back is not going to accomplish anything. My position on this is that if Butch needs additional help, then I am confident he will supply additional details. If he does not, then there is nothing we can do, except continue to re-ask the same questions, time and again. And that gets us where, exactly? The ball is in Butch's court, so let's just give him the opportunity to do with it as he will, OK?

Maybe it is time to remind everyone of the post that is pinned to the top of this forum, on how to go about asking for help. I know several of us really like to be able to help others sort out problems. I've even walked some of our members through their problems on the telephone. But when these threads go on for page after page without any effective or useful exchange of communication, it gets pretty frustrating for those of us who are watching these threads to be sure they do not take bad turns.

O.K. guys; here goes. It starts more than great -- Idles smooth- -always clean air filter-- timing set correctly --no bog off the line. I now think it is just from running short trips. Our club ( Memories in Motion) has an all-day cruise in a few weeks. So we'll see how it does--(weather permitting). LOL

Scott21 - That'll teach ya'. Try to contribute something useful, make a mistake, someone will try to make it a personal issue. I've had similar experiences with Holleys, so I know where you're coming from. At least you understand that the idle screws actually do change the A/F ratio. :thumbsup:

Butch27 - Why would short trips load up the plugs if the choke is wired open? The motor should run lean when it's cold.

Jack

Holy Bride, it's the thread that won't flipping die!

Butch, if you need some additional help, please open up a new thread. We will be happy to try to help you out. I am only locking this one down to prevent it from growing another 50 or 60 posts before you have an opportunity to get back to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back