Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Carter AFB tuning tricks ?

Oldwolf

Hi fellow T-lovers I am new here, so bear with me. I have a 302 Ford with mild cam. I installed an old Offy intake with 2 Carter AFB carbs. I believe they about 600 ? cfm. It runs really good, starts up right away, idles really well. My question is that it seems to be running rich, and was wondering if you could suggest how to lean it down a bit. Can I adjust the mixture screws enough or should I replace the jets, and what size would you suggest. I really like this forum board and think you guys are really swell. Thanks for your time and understanding. Oldwolf

Questions if you don't mind answering them
What year 302
what cam -- 302-- or-- 351
and you are running - 2 - Carter AFB's
I hope I'm reading this wrong, you should be drowning that motor in fuel !
bob

It is a lot of carb for the engine, but if you have a progressive linkage on the carbs, you can adjust it to run on the primary carb until almost WOT. In that case it should run fine if it's tuned correctly.

Well, the AFB's and the ThermoQuads are good carbs....instead of my trying to explain the laws, the physics, the temperment of these things and the underlaying adjustments and reasons why.....do a search for performance Carter AFB's or Hotrodding the carter AFB's....theres been whole books wrote on them. As have Holley, as have the QuadraJet, As have the Stromberg's....
Google is your friend.
Whatever you do, clean them good, get them boiled out....and put a good quality rebuild kit in them. Get yourself to a good basic 'baseline' carb before you go trying to hotrod things.
Unless you get a good, basic, dependable carb, FIRST, they will be more trouble than they're worth...
There alot of articles and alot of performance buildups for them. Hell, there are performance rebuild books for them....

Not a good idea, in my experience , to run progressive linkage w/ a tunnel ram , the cyl.'s under the primary carb will be rich while under the sec. carb w/be lean . Besides that, the engine will not be as responsive. The best I can tell you is get the carbs set up AS THEY CAME FROM THE FACTORY... that's a good place to start . Be aware that w/ a tunnel ram , driving will be different than your EFI DD. Most problems w/ guys running tunnel rams are the guys, they expect performance [low rpm responsiveness etc. ...] that these setups simply are not capable of..... also IMO , tunnel rams don't play well w/automatic transmissions...
dave

And don't even think about getting the carter from O'Reillys for $100 and going that way. Usually your getting a worn out carb with a kit in it. They have been picked thru so many times....
There are places that will get your carb and put it back like new, and will run accordingly. These folks make their living doing this, This is usually the best way to go, as they are done right....
also:

Carter AFBs

http://www.ehow.com/how_7959372_adjust-carter-afb-carburetor.html

http://www.raylinrestoration.com/TechnicalPages/Carburetors/AFB Tuning.pdf

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/2009/AFB_Rebuild_Guide.pdf

Hi Thanks for all the info. Its not tunnel ram intake. Does have progressive linkage, so will try that. My son says if we take the baffles out of the headers, it will lean it down some. We will try to lean down the secondary carb as well. Any more info along these lines is greatly appreciated. Have a great weekend. Oldwolf

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back