Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Carter Electric Fuel Pump

engine24355

I have a Carter electric fuel pump that I am trying to find the specs on. I have looked all over the net and have come up with two different models for the P/N I have (4070, 4594). Anyone have any knowledge of Carter P/N 152-875? I am trying to make sure this pump is matching the pressure needed for the new holley. Thanks!!

I have a # 4070 Carter pump....puts out around 6psi.....
Sorry I don't have specs on those other part numbers.

However I have installed a Carter pump in a marine application, the numbers were 1389-P4389-05314 ( private company part # I think) ...That pump put out over 30# psi, I had to install a Pressure Regulator. It looks the same as the 6psi pump I have in my car...
This,( IMO ),is always a good idea anyway, install a pressure regulator, and a switch to shut the power off to the pump if the engine isn't running....
Single Holleybuetors really don't need anymore that 6-8 psi pressure for the street...
"BH"

Baby Huey said:
I have a # 4070 Carter pump....puts out around 6psi.....
Sorry I don't have specs on those other part numbers.

However I have installed a Carter pump in a marine application, the numbers were 1389-P4389-05314 ( private company part # I think) ...That pump put out over 30# psi, I had to install a Pressure Regulator. It looks the same as the 6psi pump I have in my car...
This,( IMO ),is always a good idea anyway, install a pressure regulator, and a switch to shut the power off to the pump if the engine isn't running....
Single Holleybuetors really don't need anymore that 6-8 psi pressure for the street...
"BH"

Thanks for the information BH. I think I have either the 6# version which would be about right for my single Holley 670 carb. However, I used to have the dual carb setup that this same pump ran so not sure how much pressure was flowing. I hope to get a pressure gauge on it soon so I can know. All of the Carter pumps show to have an internal regulator, but not sure how good they are.

Thanks!

Carter was bought out by Aeromotive.......they still have the 4070........which is a street pump......the next pump up is their Hi-Perf. street/Race pump.
4070 is a 6-14 PSI pump......the other is alot higher..........go to any Parts site. go to carter, and search......there you have the specs. Since they were consumed by Aeromotive and just the prices were marked up.....they still have the old parts #'s..............

Oh, and let me add.......always run a regulator, and put a Tee below your oil pressure sending unit and put a pressure switch there. That way.....you can accidently leave your switch on and not cause a major castrophe!!!!!!!!!!!!!But be sure to run a hotwire with a toggleswitch for priming purposes should you have to let your rod sit for a long time...........just to be safe and all.....just keep the prime switch in off position until you need it......:cool:

[quote name='Screamin' Metal']Oh, and let me add.......always run a regulator, and put a Tee below your oil pressure sending unit and put a pressure switch there. That way.....you can accidently leave your switch on and not cause a major castrophe!!!!!!!!!!!!!But be sure to run a hotwire with a toggleswitch for priming purposes should you have to let your rod sit for a long time...........just to be safe and all.....just keep the prime switch in off position until you need it......:cool:[/quote]

Thanks for the tips Screamin. My fuel pump is connected to my ignition switch or so when I turn one notch the pump will start running. Then, the second notch will turn the engine over. The fuel pump is so loud there is no way to miss it...LOL. I will look into adding a regulator as I am always trying to make inprovements.

Thanks!

Glad to be of some help Engine.....I've run Carters the past 20 years in both street and all out racing applications with great luck. They're a quality pump.....what urks me......the same pump, in the same box....with the same old dust on it.....35.00 for the street pump.....now over 60.00....thats just plain stupid..........

Rigging up a blower setup for one of the NTPA folks......having to add a pump....the Carter rotaryvane pumps are great for lift pumps on Diesels too.....so I added 2 to the tractor......I about had a cow when I saw the price increase.....cause I ordered like 20 ft of braided line with an fittings, 2 pumps, 2 regulators, 2 full canister spin-on filters.....yada,yada,yada.....solved the guys problem but DAWM!!!!!:cool:

Add a gauge to the line so you can monitor the psi at all times.

As Rooster said a gauge and regulator are a must as the output is way to much for the float needles to hold back.4 to 6 pounds is tops.In my opinion anyway

Sounds like I need to invest in a regulator. Since I have no experience with regulators I need some help picking one out and mounting. I plan to run a pressure gauge on my new dual feel line setup as soon as it comes in from Summit. However, I have read that Holley regulators have a dual outlet and that you can run a pressure gauge on one of the outlets. Anyway, I need some help here so let me pose some questions:
  1. What regulator should I run (have carter pump to Holley 670 SA)?
  2. What type of plumbing should I use (have hard line from pump to fuel line now)?
  3. Where should the regulator be located?
Need all the help I can get here guys so please let me know what the experts advise. Seems like it would be easier to run braided line instead of hard, but just a thought.

Thanks!

Food for thought...

DSC_0073.jpg

I like Lees setup i put my regulator on the frame after the filter before the hard line.

I have quite a few of the Holley regulators on the shelf. They are new never installed. $25.00 each and I'll pay the shipping for ya.

This is the regulator that comes with the blue race pump 4 1/2-9 psi.
hly-12-803_w.jpg

RPM said:
I have quite a few of the Holley regulators on the shelf. They are new never installed. $25.00 each and I'll pay the shipping for ya.

This is the regulator that comes with the blue race pump 4 1/2-9 psi.
hly-12-803_w.jpg

Sounds good Ron. I like the idea of the carb mounting plate. Do you have anything like that designed?

Regulator goes on the delivery side of the pump. I mount mine next to the pump (as close to the tank as you can get it) which then gives you a length of line to smooth out the on/off pulses of the regulator. Filter should be first in the lineup before the pump. Braided armour line is more durable than solid in a vibration situation, long as you use the correct terminations like Lee has. Looks cool too.........
Hook the pump electric feed to the coil energiser, in a bucket you can hear the pump come up to pressure when you switch on.

engine24355 said:
Sounds good Ron. I like the idea of the carb mounting plate. Do you have anything like that designed?

No I don't have anything along those lines. We used a lot of the blue race pumps on hot rod diesel trucks and I have these regulators left over.

Hey Engine, Grab yourself a small piece of aluminum plate, drill the large hole and the 4 mounting holes, break it right beside the regulator, then pop about 2 or 3 holes in it for mounting........those are a great deal that Rons got going, grab a couple.....install one and put one as backup.........also what Mango said is the way to go that way you like have a large long fuel log going. When running pressurized fuel lines under the car......run a piece of hard tubing over it to help protect it from road debris....unless your gonna run braided lines.........:cool:

So I need to mount close to the pump then and not close to the carb? I am thinking it would be eaiser to run all braided fuel line from the pump to the regulator. Then from the regulator up to the carb. Would this be an okay way or should I use a hard line? Also, I have a fuel filter between the tank and pump, but should I run another filter between the regulator and carb? Thanks for the advice!

For what its worth i have mine mounted on the manifold with a gauge next to the carb that way i can see the pressure kinda hard to see and adjust under the car.By the way the regulators Ron has for sale is the one i have its adjustable.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back