Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

CCR's T Bucket Chassis Plans

RESINATOR

Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
The California Custom Roadsters Chassis Plans for the Do-It Yourself types out there will be available in a digital and downloadable format in the near future. We are very excited to team up with TBucketPlans.com to make this long standing set of Bill Keifer designed Blueprints available online.
We will keep you informed as to when they become available, and would welcome any input as to what would be helpful to add to the Plans.

Jerry

Jerry,

On this forum, Ted Brown recently shared with us that the CCR design that he did for the Jag Rear End mount has an error in it.

Have you / Will you update the plans to reflect this correction?

Mark

What Ted was refering to was mounting the Jag in rubber or some other energy absorbing material. He's trying to find a way to isolate road shock from feeding back to the chassis. From what I can see, and I'm no expert, there's nothing "wrong" with the CCR set-up. Lighter springs will cure most of the road shock. To do this I would suggest going to an aftermarket coil/shock. No need to have spendy coils made when QA1, for example will exchange springs for free. Even if you have to replace the springs they are cheaper than custom made ones. One point Ted made and I wholely agree, you don't need 4 shocks back there. It's not so "bussy" looking with 2 anyway.

Ron

The students and I built our first bucket from this set of plans. I would buy a second set with the FAD "T" FOUR-LINK FRONT END Mods. Also would be nice to have Front Shock patterns and options. We plan starting new bucket project this spring.

Mark and Ron,

I took a look at the thread you linked to, and after I got past the fantastic illustrations GAB had done, I see that what your refering to is rubber mounting the whole Unit. This is sort of what Concours West (CWI) was doing for years (it is a bitchin set-up). The way CWI did this was to hang the Center Mount in two large Rubber OEM bushings that then hooked to two tabs welded to the rear crossmember. They did not use bushed shock mounts seeing as the shocks have their own Rubber(Jag) or urethane bushings. They did however have a sliding shock mount plate to allow the upper mount to move inboard or out depending on the rear-end width (we do this by just putting in two extra tubes). Kugel also mounts their Center Section with four standard 4-Bar bushings.

Bushing the whole Crossmember is a great idea, maybe we could spend some time looking into how to simply use the existing rear crossmember and mounts in the Plans, and bushing where it mounts to the frame. GAB's drawing represents the XKE or a narrowed XJ rear shock location when using a 26.5" wide frame, this might get a little more complicated with the shock mounts being set for a stock width XJ (the most common) at about 27.5" C to C. The best bet would be to find a nice Steel Sleeved OEM style bushing, sort of like a Mustang II lower control arm bushing, that would pass all the way thru the frame in four locations like the drawing represents ( add an eccentric type bolt and bushing and be able to adjust pinion angle as well - Ted would be excited about that).
Put your brains to work and I will see if this is something that can be added to make the Chassis Plans even better.
there's always room for better,

Jerry

Estesken,

The Front Shock Towers and the lower Mounting Plates are something that we have been thinking about adding, along with the Master Cylinder Bracket and Brake Pedal. I hope to have these added soon.
The 4 Link set-up is something we have been building since the early 1980's. To us this is a Looks thing, our Radius Rods are so long that there really is no advantage to go to the 4 Link, although I actually like the looks of it. I would'nt try to talk you out of this if your after that look, but it would not be something you would notice from the drivers seat. What really works great on the Radius Rods is to upgrade the Heim ends to Urethane bushed ends at the Frame Mount.
We still offer The 4 Link and are putting together one of our Deluxe Kits for a customer right now with Front and Rear 4 links. I will shoot some Photos once it's put back together and post them- once I figure out how!

Jerry

This has been posted before but here's my version of a bushed Jag mount.

JagxmbrSmall.jpg

Ron

I clearly remember Ted saying that there was an angle wrong in the orginal design resulting in the suspension not working properly.

Ted - Where are you?

Mark

That one is in a T that's going together now. He hopes to be on the road with it this spring. I want to see how it performs before I offer it as a kit. The kit will include the mount,as pictured, the connecting bars for the trunions, a bottom plate, pinion struts, shock mounts for either 2 or 4 shocks, and radius rods. No price on it yet.

Ron

Mark ... I think Ted was refering to the pinion struts being at a less that perfect angle to the frame.

Ron

I clearly remember Ted saying that there was an angle wrong in the orginal design resulting in the suspension not working properly.

Ted - Where are you?

Mark
I don't remember saying there was an angle wrong... Just that the whole unit needed to be mounted as the factory mounts theirs, in rubber, nothing solid to the frame at all... Just the complete CCR Jag cross member with a big bushing at each end mounted to the frame, (maybe a rear spring drive = ft. bushing) and good strong radius rods to keep that top bushing from getting too much stress, same again as a stock jag mount, only with great T Bucket looks, and if Jerry is going to set one up with a 4 bar unit, I know he will make it right, and look good/Great to boot...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back