Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Chrom grill shell ???

Hate to say this but there is an old expression. If it's got T's or wheels, there are no good deals! :cool: Speedway has some good lookin ones.

I couldn't find any chrome 23 T grill shells at Speedway. The only way I know of to get a chrome one is to buy an original repo and have it chromed. Would have cost me $350.00.

The only T grill shell Speedway has is fiberglass.

I did a brass slip over shell that looked like a 15 for one of the speedsters I built. I got a 20 ft by 30 in stainless heater reflector out of a remodeled car wash for free. was thinking of doing various shiny pieces with it. a friend taught Jr hi shop so I had access to all the sheet metal tools.

last time i was in Obsolete ford parts in oklahoma city they had one and so did Parr automotive in Oklahoma city.

oldtman said:
I did a brass slip over shell that looked like a 15 for one of the speedsters I built. I got a 20 ft by 30 in stainless heater reflector out of a remodeled car wash for free. was thinking of doing various shiny pieces with it. a friend taught Jr hi shop so I had access to all the sheet metal tools.

I didnt think of making one from brass or copper ! I may give that a try this winter!
But i still want a chrom one too? I didnt realize it was a hard iteam to come up with,i have seen so many of them out there ,i figured that some one was selling them?

I already have some ideas to build another T,sence i been driving this one i will make some changes on the next one for sure.

chopper tom said:
I didnt think of making one from brass or copper ! I may give that a try this winter!
But i still want a chrom one too? I didnt realize it was a hard iteam to come up with,i have seen so many of them out there ,i figured that some one was selling them?

I already have some ideas to build another T,sence i been driving this one i will make some changes on the next one for sure.

The company that used to make them went out of business because the machine that stamped them out broke and it was too old to fix. Even if you find one , it'll be expensive since supply is virtually nonexistant. Ebay or a swap meet will be your best bet.

Hey ChopperTom! Have you looked at the new paint that I have been seeing pop up on more and more custom bikes that looks like chrome? It may take some experimenting but I have seen some that look very close to chrome, first ones look more like Jet Hot and some of those type coatings, but lately look real close at first glance. That way you can use your current fiberglass shell and if you don't like the present insert, there are tons of different corrugated metals out there to choose from in all types of finishes. One other idea that came to mind is have you considered the polished stainless trim that sticks on that you see on cars and trucks that they use it as a guard on the lower part of the body and rockers? It's fairly light and flexible, and you could cut it into panels for the front of the shell and it would be easy to cut one piece to do around the outside. Would have to be careful cutting and shaping it so it doesn't look bad, but if done right it would look great, and have your body color for contrast, similar to some of the polished firewalls you see on buckets, same idea. Hope this helps and is food for thought. Good luck and post pics if you give this a shot! Eddie :cool:

FastEddie59 said:
Hey ChopperTom! Have you looked at the new paint that I have been seeing pop up on more and more custom bikes that looks like chrome? It may take some experimenting but I have seen some that look very close to chrome, first ones look more like Jet Hot and some of those type coatings, but lately look real close at first glance. That way you can use your current fiberglass shell and if you don't like the present insert, there are tons of different corrugated metals out there to choose from in all types of finishes. One other idea that came to mind is have you considered the polished stainless trim that sticks on that you see on cars and trucks that they use it as a guard on the lower part of the body and rockers? It's fairly light and flexible, and you could cut it into panels for the front of the shell and it would be easy to cut one piece to do around the outside. Would have to be careful cutting and shaping it so it doesn't look bad, but if done right it would look great, and have your body color for contrast, similar to some of the polished firewalls you see on buckets, same idea. Hope this helps and is food for thought. Good luck and post pics if you give this a shot! Eddie :cool:
Thanks eddie ,sounds like you got some great ideas there!

You're welcome Chopper Tom! Glad to share anything I've learned over the years if it will help others! Good luck and hope one of them works out, Eddie :cool:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back