Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Chromoly or Aluminum Driveline

Island Girl

Hey guys,

As I get closer to being able to measure and order a driveline, I wanted to get some feedback on whether I should stay with my original 3" diameter, 4130 chomoly plan with the forged ends/yoke, or to opt for a 4" aluminum shaft.

Either way it won't be too long, maybe a couple feet max . . . .

Aluminum is about $100 more, so not a deal breaker there, but does it have the same longevity / fatigue resistance as the chomoly 4130?

Is it suitable for the street or is it drag race specific?

Are there pros and cons to either or both?

Help me out here guys, which should I get?

Darlene

Darlene,
If it were my car, I’d go with a 4130 shaft with 4130 forged ends. If you are concerned about strength you instead of using 3” with 1350 u-joints, you could go with a 3 1/2” tube and 1480 u-joints. In my opinion I think either one would be strong enough for your needs but talk to whoever you choose to buy from and see what they recommend. The aluminum shafts are typically lighter, which for a street rod really isn’t a concern. The aluminum shafts are usually either made from 6061 or 7075. If the yokes are welded on the tube on the 6061 shafts they sometimes have problems on very high HP drag race cars. 7075 aluminum shouldn’t be welded, so they bond a 7075 billet end to the tube. Some companies are now also bonding a 7075 billet end onto the 6061 shafts to make it a little cheaper option if you don’t need the extra strength of the 7075. The good aluminum shafts are almost twice the price of a 4130 shaft.
Bill

Darlene,
If it were my car, I’d go with a 4130 shaft with 4130 forged ends. If you are concerned about strength you instead of using 3” with 1350 u-joints, you could go with a 3 1/2” tube and 1480 u-joints. In my opinion I think either one would be strong enough for your needs but talk to whoever you choose to buy from and see what they recommend. The aluminum shafts are typically lighter, which for a street rod really isn’t a concern. The aluminum shafts are usually either made from 6061 or 7075. If the yokes are welded on the tube on the 6061 shafts they sometimes have problems on very high HP drag race cars. 7075 aluminum shouldn’t be welded, so they bond a 7075 billet end to the tube. Some companies are now also bonding a 7075 billet end onto the 6061 shafts to make it a little cheaper option if you don’t need the extra strength of the 7075. The good aluminum shafts are almost twice the price of a 4130 shaft.
Bill

This is what I was originally planning:

Trans yoke

Driveshaft

I guess I should stick with that plan . . . .

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back