Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

CNC Plasma cutting

RPM

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Sponsor
We are thinking of adding a CNC Plasma cutter to our shop. There seems to be some demand for custom one of brackets and tabs. I am just curious how much demand there would be for these services.

So how about some input from you guys about what you might need cut.

We will be able to cut up to 3/8" plate.

Ron,

I think it's a great idea. I want to warn you though, the CNC plasma machines can vary in price a ton. You might consider some of the kits they make. It would save you a lot of money.

The kits are basically made up of all the motors, controller and software. You build the frame/structure yourself (would be easy for you). Then find an old computer to run the software. I have seen the kits for as little as $800. Check out both Ebay and the net. There are at least a dozen groups doing the kits.

Do you have at least a small 2 axis CNC mill in your shop? If you do have one like I do, you can make a super simple bracket cutter using the mill. With a four or five foot long arm you bolt to the table on one end, and a torch holder on the other, you can use the mill's controller to cut shapes. Cut off to the the side over a barrel, or table you make on wheels. I haven't built mine yet, but I have seen it done.

If you make your arm long enough with a spark shield, you don't have to worry about any damage to the machine. The idea is especially appealing to me because I have so little room in my space. Every machine that can have more than one purpose is a big plus for me. The table I will cut parts on will even have a dual purpose!

Take care,

David

David thanks for all the thoughts. But we are now working about 80 hours a week. Looking at the kits it says it would take 60-80 hours to build it all.
With the free time it might take me a couple of years to build. What we are looking at should take no more than 3-4 hours to set up. I am sure there is a learning curve that will take a little time to figure out.

I am just wondering how many custom radius rod brackets or steering drops are needed. The possibilites are endless.

Youngster has pages of brackets shown and it should only take a few minutes to make them up.

RPM said:
David thanks for all the thoughts. But we are now working about 80 hours a week. Looking at the kits it says it would take 60-80 hours to build it all.
With the free time it might take me a couple of years to build. What we are looking at should take no more than 3-4 hours to set up. I am sure there is a learning curve that will take a little time to figure out.

I am just wondering how many custom radius rod brackets or steering drops are needed. The possibilites are endless.

Youngster has pages of brackets shown and it should only take a few minutes to make them up.

Hi Ron,

You're right. It sounds like a turn key system would work best for you. I have heard good things about the "Torch Mate" line of CNC plasma tables if that helps.

David

Ron,

I'm guessing that the Torch-A-Part machine that I sold you hasn't lived up to your expectations? Is there any particular thing that is a problem? Maybe I can help you with it.

Personally, I have never been a big fan of Plasma cutting for mild steel parts. Every time that I have gotten lazy and had someone do some plasma cutting for me, I have ended up trashing the parts or spending a bunch of time grinding to get the edge quality that I can with flame cutting. It is probably just me, but the trade offs aren't that great. Lasers are a totally different cat.

Let me know if I can help. :rolleyes:

DSCN0878.jpg

Hi George the machine is great!!!! No problems at all with it. It is very time consuming making patterns. I spent several hours last night making patterns for one of parts. Also very time consuming have to drill small holes. The next big problem is the amount of steel material that is wasted. This CNC stuff will nest stuff so close there is very little waste.

Thanks for the offer on the help, you have helped me plenty. Thanks again.

Ron, I agree with George on the plasma cutting. I have never been happy with the quality I have gotten from CNC plasma parts. The edges always bevel. 3/16" isn't to bad, 3/8" is. And that includes the holes. So you are faced with making the holes over size, or drilling them out. And the latter option is not good, because the steel is hard from the heat, and jagged from the cutter. Ruining drill bits fast. On the parts that I cut on my pattern cutter, I belt sand the edges, to get out the bevel, and I punch my holes in an iron worker. But on any large runs, over about a dozen, I have my parts laser or water jet cut.

Ron,

I got your message too late to call last nite and I will be gone tonite, so I'll give you a try tomorrow.

Tell me about pattern making. :D Here is what I keep patterns in...well it is supposed to be where I put them but as you can see from the bottom shelf and the top of the cabinet, it don't always get done. Most of the shelves have as many or more patterns as the one that is pulled out. And this doesn't include the pattens that I use on a pretty regular basis. They are in the tray.

PatternsforFlameCutting002.jpg
PatternsforFlameCutting003.jpg

I assume that the problem about drilling small holes is in reference to the 1/8" holes for locating drilled holes in the part and bend lines, weld locating lines, etc. I use a Whitney hand punch like the sheet metal guys have to punch them.

I think that you will find that the biggest problem with nesting parts is in the shape and quantity of the parts rather than the software's ability to position them. As you can see in this photo, I try to waste very little material, but the shape sometimes dictates that there is going to be some waste. Here, on the table, are a batch from yesterday. Not too much waste there.
FlameCuttingSkeletons.jpg

I hope that some of this can be of use to you in determining what you want to do.

I imagine that there are some of you guys who wish it had never been said that pictures were in the rulz! I think I have a tendency to get carried away! :)

George, Please don't stop posting pictures! I have picked up so much info from them and your written posts.

ron

Not carried away pics tell a thousand stories and tell what kind of equipment people have axcess to.To do some of the self builds.It seems we have a lot of machinist/ fabricators on here.

At this time I have a $120 drill press, $170 horz./vert. bandsaw, $60 belt sander,A tig and a mig welder, a HF beadroller, and a 5.5hp Sears air compressor. Plus assorted grinders,die grinders and a Dynafile. That's it. All my brackets, etc are made using these tools.

As for the machinists, fabricators and welders on here....Yup we have those too. But then there are skilled people and there are craftsmen. I'm of the belief we have some of the most skilled craftsmen here. To them my hats off!

Ron

Youngster said:
At this time I have a $120 drill press, $170 horz./vert. bandsaw, $60 belt sander,A tig and a mig welder, a HF beadroller, and a 5.5hp Sears air compressor. Plus assorted grinders,die grinders and a Dynafile. That's it. All my brackets, etc are made using these tools.

As for the machinists, fabricators and welders on here....Yup we have those too. But then there are skilled people and there are craftsmen. I'm of the belief we have some of the most skilled craftsmen here. To them my hats off!

Ron

Ron,

If what you list above for tools is true, then you are an amazing fabricator. I still can't believe that's all you got! If this is true, I would consider you to be one of those super "skilled craftsmen!" See, I used both terms. :cry:

I'm embarrassed now to even share what I have in my garage. It doesn't mean I can actually "do" anything you know. :eek:

David

Thanks David, but I see what George, Don & Sons, Randell, etc., do with metal and I don't think I'm anywhere near that level. These are the craftsmen. I just do what I can with what I have. You ought to see my scrap pile!

Ron

A picture takes up less space than the thousand words it is said to be worth, and is usually more instructive.

RexRod said:
Ron,

If what you list above for tools is true, then you are an amazing fabricator. I still can't believe that's all you got! If this is true, I would consider you to be one of those super "skilled craftsmen!" See, I used both terms. :D

I'm embarrassed now to even share what I have in my garage. It doesn't mean I can actually "do" anything you know. :eek:

David

I can attest to the fact that this is a factual list of Ron's shop. Also, he has incredible skills and modesty.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back