Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

coilovers

Francis Blake

I like the looks of coilovers but don't know a good way to mount them on the front. I called speedway and was told they don't sell the proper parts to install them. am hopeing someone on here will be able to help, if its not a good idea I will do what is best.:D. Francis

setting up with a leaf spring is much easier than coil overs. maybe engine 24355 will post a pic of his coil over set up. it's one of the cleanest i've seen.

Ron

Youngster said:
setting up with a leaf spring is much easier than coil overs. maybe engine 24355 will post a pic of his coil over set up. it's one of the cleanest i've seen.

Ron

Since Ron twisted my arm here...LOL. Thanks for the compliment.

IMG_0053.jpg

Let me know if this helps Francis Blake. If you need any information or other pics, just say the word.

Thanks!

That really looks good, that is just what I needed I will file that so I can look at when I get a little closer to that point in my build. Am going to get frame metal this week. Looks like things are comeing togeather a lot quicker than I had hoped. I am sure I will need more info when I get there:D (i'm smilein allready)..Francis

engine24355,
When I saw your photo, I thought that the car looked familiar. Looked back through some favorites that I had saved from other websites and found a series of photos of your car. I hope that I am not stepping on any toes by putting this here, but the pic shows my sentiments. :D

39_3-1.jpg

Yes, I've been screwing around with the edit function in Photobucket :rofl:

There is one very important thing about this front end and that is that proper Ackerman has been retained. Most do not think about that when reversing the tie rod. I know that Ted does not like having the tie rod in front but if done correctly, the car will steer and handle the same as if the tie rod were behind the axle center line.

Jim

GAB said:
engine24355,
When I saw your photo, I thought that the car looked familiar. Looked back through some favorites that I had saved from other websites and found a series of photos of your car. I hope that I am not stepping on any toes by putting this here, but the pic shows my sentiments. :welxome:

39_3-1.jpg

Wow, that car looks familiar...LOL. Thanks for the compliment, but I cannot take all the credit as I bought the car already built. I have been making it my own and using it as a learning tool in case I decide to build one from scratch. At this point, I have learned sooooo much and appreciate all of the fellow tbuckteers help. That said, I have been trying to track down the original builders of the car. I know it was built in Oregon by a shop that builds race cars and Vettes, but have not had any luck yet. I would love to call these guys up and get all the info I can. If anyone has any thoughts let me know. In the mean time, I will just have to cruise and have fun with the "Silver Bullet".

engine24355,

That's about as clean and simple as one can ask for. In my opinion coil overs are much easier to mount. Coil springs are really good riding and it is very easy to adjust or even change sring rates. Dollar for dollar and ease of fabrication, coil overs are as cheap or cheaper then most other front suspension systems. Nice car my friend!

George

GAB said:
engine24355,
When I saw your photo, I thought that the car looked familiar. Looked back through some favorites that I had saved from other websites and found a series of photos of your car. I hope that I am not stepping on any toes by putting this here, but the pic shows my sentiments. :welxome:

39_3-1.jpg

I'm sure there will be a couple people question that top mounting bolt to much shear angle.Me i love the look of that thing kinda mean looking from the front.Nice ride.

Rick said:
I'm sure there will be a couple people question that top mounting bolt to much shear angle.Me i love the look of that thing kinda mean looking from the front.Nice ride.

Thanks for all of the comments guys.

Rick, you are right on with the top mounting bolt. I have been questioning it myself and would like to add some type of bracing to strengthen. My thought is to add a piece of steel under the bolt housing (gusset), but open to other ideas. Trying to maintain the look, but not at the risk of breaking a mount.

gusset on the top, gusset on the bottom...lots of possibilities.....but why??? great looking mount...why fix something that obviously is working?

Ron

engine24355 said:
Thanks for all of the comments guys.

Rick, you are right on with the top mounting bolt. I have been questioning it myself and would like to add some type of bracing to strengthen. My thought is to add a piece of steel under the bolt housing (gusset), but open to other ideas. Trying to maintain the look, but not at the risk of breaking a mount.
I was thinking about the bolt being so long that it could bend or break.What are your thoughts?

Rick said:
I was thinking about the bolt being so long that it could bend or break.What are your thoughts?
Well you are right as far as to at least think about it, but as stated, this setup is working fine so far, and if you have been driving it a lot, and someone drove it before you, it must be pretty strong, as long as you do not bottom the shock/springs out, HARD, you should be OK... As far as coils being such a great ride, I will differ with you on that one, for sure, very hard to beat either torsion or leaf springs, coils are just a cheap easy mount, especially for the car factories, and room conciderations or constraints I should say. But, did you know the the average short coil is over 11 feet long? all one wire, now for a light front end, a very small wire, long wire coil is in order, but never will ride better than the proper leaf spring... as far as every thing I have ever tried, and I have tried a ton... on every type of chassis possable, both on and off road:) BUT! for wild (tons of) wheel MOVEMENT, coils are the answer... but for T Buckets, this in another critter all together, light weight.

Just as a point of reference, a coil spring is a form of a torsion bar. In order for the spring to compress, it depends on the coil material to twist to some degree along its coiled length. The torsional strength of the bar returns it to its "as wound" condition.

Kind of a hard concept to envision...but true! :)

Coil springs, leaf springs, and torsion bars all have springs rates. Spring rates are expressed as lbs. per inch of deflection. Any one of them of a given rate applied at the same location on a suspension system, will give the same results. It's how they are applied that makes the differences.

Hey Ted,

I think that we had a common customer. I noticed somewhere in your stuff that I thought you had built one of Al Vander Woude's "Flying Dutchman" early floppers. I built his last funny before he went over to sprint car racing.

Scan0009.jpg

was wanting to know of the lower mounting brackets on this frontend.. are the mounts off the axle or integrated to the radius rod mounts?

go back to the pic in post#3... they could be mounted off the axle but the frame mounts would have to be taller.

Ron

Brucer said:
was wanting to know of the lower mounting brackets on this frontend.. are the mounts off the axle or integrated to the radius rod mounts?

Brucer -

The lower mounting is tied into the lower radius rode connection. It just uses a longer bolt and about a 1" spacer. Hope this helps.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back