Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Corvair engine

barnbikes

Anybody have any pictures of a Corvair powered t bucket?? Or know anybody who ownes one??

Street Rodder magazine dec 1973 Has one on the cover.

Yes, there are several pics of a Corvair powered super low T Bucket on Carnut dot com... one of my favorite websites!

If I Recall Correctly, the pics should be found in the coverage of the first / second NSRA Street Rod Nats.

Two separate occasions and two different paint jobs also.

And I have a pic around here somewhere of a VW powered T... with the engine in the front.

T-Odd

There was one on the show circuit about 20 years ago. they removed all the cooling sheetmetal so it would probably overheat very quickly if they ever drove it. I built a couple of corvair dunebuggies, I was teaching an auto shop class and the college had a cou[ple million bucks of equipment to use. I machined extra openings in the head-manifold and added carb mount flanges, I ended up building a tubing spider leg manifold and ran a 500 holly 2 bbl. It would do wheelies in 2 nd gear.

I normally wouldn't HOTLINK these images, but I've included the links to the pics on Carnut.com also.

Auto Hobby Page Car Pics

tul038.jpg

Auto Hobby Page Car Pics

tul037.jpg

Auto Hobby Page Car Pics

nat084.jpg

That flat 4 makes for an interesting look. Really cool.

I wonder what that is on the front of the engine. An oil pump? What do you suppose was used for a transmission in this T and how they adapted it to the VW? Since i like both Ts and VWs I wouldn't mind building something like this.

This particular corvair appears to be the six cylinder version.

There are LOTS of adaptors to mate almost any engine to almost any transmission.

I'll try to find the pics of the front engined VW T Bucket. Might take a while.

That's a pretty interesting front axle design too.

T-Odd said:

You're right. I should have looked closer.

i have a book shows you how to build a mid engine vw trike it shows how to gut an old vw transmission and make a plate at the end with a shaft running through it that you connect to another flipped transaxle then you use or make some long shifter linkage i bought linkage from jamar dune buggy co. bada** trikes sells a plans book shows how to do this the booklet is $75 ouch lol :cool:

I saw that sucker floating around Tulsa in 73. Looked neet but was too low to drive in the real world. But the guy was having a ball.
Mike in ep

Barnbikes

One thing you should be aware of is that the Corvair engine turns in the opposite direction of most other engines. If you just adapt it straight over without fixing this, you will have several reverse gears and only one forward.:eek:

Captainjunk touched on this when he mentioned the flipped VW transaxle.

If you ran an old Ford banjo type rearend, you could just flip the rearend over and everything should work OK. Should be strong enough for the typical Corvair engine.

Seems to me, I remember that someone used to sell a reverse rotation camshaft, too.

Makes for a very unique looking and cool setup, though. With a modern 5 speed and decent gears in the rearend, it should move a T really well and get good gas mileage, too.

Good luck!

Mike

3181729754_33a052f3d8_o.jpg

Front engined VW T Bucket

"One thing you should be aware of is that the Corvair engine turns in the opposite direction of most other engines. If you just adapt it straight over without fixing this, you will have several reverse gears and only one forward.:eek:"

I had no idea...Makes sense when you think about it, I just never thought about it. One of those little nuggets of information that will be stored in my head till I die but probably never used. Still interesting though,

It looks like a remote oil filter and the alternator on the front. the stock corvair had a fan mounted on the top of the engine. the belts made a 90 degree turn to run the fan. I had a friend that had 3 corvairs, the one i liked the best had a paxton blower on it. It had the remote oil filter. Big Jim, the corvair man set it up. He cut off and machined the oil filter casting and added remote mounts like the T has.. the paxton was a 2 speed unit. lots of low end boost then at higher speed the planetary ball drive slowed down the blower so it wouldn't over boost. I took it out for a test drive after I had been working on it and at a stoplight a guy in a GTO was eye balling the 10 inch wide tires on the back. The "vair pulled away from him...the engines are very sensitive to overheating. all the pushrod tubes will leak if you burn the o rings. if the air flaps on the back don't work right they toast in a hurry. You used to see a few with an oil film on the back end .. like some old
VW's

I used a 61 in one of my buggies. I used the stock crosmember and built a tube frame, wv front end like the gray T , and a rear hoop around the back of the engine for the motor mount. I saw one T that had the pickup box over the corvair engine. I have seen corvair engines in boats

when you put a small block in the back seat of a corvair the trans adaptor hooks up and the trans runs the same direction. the later full IRS corvair used bigger car gears in the trans.

T-Odd said:

There are LOTS of adaptors to mate almost any engine to almost any transmission.

I'll try to find the pics of the front engined VW T Bucket. Might take a while.
Corvairs are only 6 cylinders never had any other production engine stock.Lots of different hp ratings from 85 to 180.2 carb,4 carb,turbo charged and super charged but all 6s

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back