Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Custom Muffler design or buy?

It's a unique challenge, Spanky. We don't have the room for fancy under-car exhausts with multiple big mufflers. Most of us have to make do with pipes in plain view like the common "roadster" headers. I've seen a few of those with Supertrapps. I'd like to do something a bit different, something like this, only better:
AgGZX9kLcCp3Ia8vt4iHLIA-tRsNDwP6hYNeVVDPoJKjmJhiDT9A3mjDwR8rNek-rOKlRug_qveu-P2NyuYtS7l1hJQwfTGdBG8nDkCyz0DKMbrB7Hv2Ld42ETYgfNFsWIGcG6ZncPTt657NEv_jq12nE4_KfWOSvJ_Yt-2SDOpj0hA7jgNuU05YiILo4GSFlfxPgh_RCl8OucnfaGFBCxwSoKOjO6-tzavMGi9YkuY3bszToFANvCwDZRGbO4MhWiIzGEo1SlYIpOT6YZo-ww3MqrmGJL_Ehg1YMHH1YKhW8PH1HOTgbr-Oy-6E47E2D4r1u48DkrF5C98T40wHqVWHoZll3bb_GZm2RiBYxWrQFQ6qlbnoEzd3hbAjsqOBBkriX8dlwgxF3g5urqnJI8acT4ncl-D-aHNnKbik5F7PoGpdpIWeb8uR53nnFu7spGP5ij2u6e96iXh2Y9DqSGYnVOo52iqTwzvMB-4YKGd-6GVd53dA0xY_S5pxbEy5vElRDuw80CNf2duOdUEv40zo-xJCTt4c830qI_7d5ErFc-v97oTjn1begv6P6SIV3tQkHOl968-ULGNwdZWHsO1LHM3cVVtPACpQbAfvEzOZu0hQgjrjdj0emFBmLJBazf5DgUcH9thYeFItr9WbhXXkh6Fy2nbe0jLd-UnAXLikUb5Kk1VFMAsQoUNZvTU0PQZ3jBR9TULljmzxJdEam47jWNj9FgGzNBpIxazopYTg0oM=w424-h640-no

Big 2" primaries with more curves, SS with exposed welds that will turn color.

Is this what you have in mind PotvinGuy when you said MORE CURVES ??? What did you
mean by different, can you elaborate?
Headers_Wild&Crazy.jpg

upload_2019-10-17_17-12-36.png

I have to say my goals are performance orientated and therefore my statements below.

The length of those primary tubes are way too short for any street engine. I'm calling street,
something that only turns at most 6200 rpm. So the higher the rpm, the shorter the primary
tubes will be. Yes it will have to use more curves and go forward first before it makes it's
turn to the rear of the vehicle to get the needed primary length. This is what I see as my
biggest problem, trying to get some primaries that are close to 36" to 40".

Oh, then there is the collector length where most put a muffler. If not, then there is the
additional length after the collector for the muffler.

SS is a step in the right direction. It will conduct significantly less heat than carbon steel,
something like 10 times less heat. Retaining more heat and keeping the gas velocity higher.
But with the up side, is a down side ..... Elongation.

SS_MaterialProperties.jpg

Last edited:
Is this what you have in mind PotvinGuy when you said MORE CURVES ??? What did you
View attachment 17440

View attachment 17441

I have to say my goals are performance orientated and therefore my statements below.

The length of those primary tubes are way too short for any street engine. I'm calling street,
something that only turns at most 6200 rpm. So the higher the rpm, the shorter the primary
tubes will be. Yes it will have to use more curves and go forward first before it makes it's
turn to the rear of the vehicle to get the needed primary length. This is what I see as my

Oh, then there is the collector length where most put a muffler. If not, then there is the

SS is a step in the right direction. It will conduct significantly less heat than carbon steel,
something like 10 times less heat. Retaining more heat and keeping the gas velocity higher.

View attachment 17442

LOL Top pick makes my head hurt. I agree with your statement on header design & theory. I can definitely feel the difference between the classic roadster headers and the lakesters. Compromise is always a real challenge.

View attachment 17440

View attachment 17441

View attachment 17442
I once knew a African lady with fingernails that resemble those headers... didn’t understand them either, lol!

How about running the primary tubes down under the oil pan and put the mufflers on the other side? You can get some serious length then!

Got to stick with 8 pipes that are shiny...JMHO

Cool ride Gerry! Gotta love an injected bright yellow "T" with 16 shinny pipes.:thumbsup::thumbsup: Are they called shot gun tubes over in England as well? Are yours muffled? Would like to see more pictures of the injection set up. :D

I built the first set of headers for my bucket from a big pile of straight pipe and a bunch of 90 degree bend tubes from Warshawsky Auto Parts in Chicago. Just out of the collectors there was a 90 degree section of tube that turned in under the car where there was a couple of small mufflers. It worked pretty good. They were painted black and got pretty rusty. I ended up changing them out for a set of the typical chrome headers (which are also getting rusty, too!). I ended up selling the black set to a guy on this site. I don't remember his name. He just wanted something temporary to be able to run his engine.

Motorcycle baffles that are placed in the end of the individual pipes and no collector. Los of different ones to choose from.

I built the first set of headers for my bucket from a big pile of straight pipe and a bunch of 90 degree bend tubes

And that's the way I did it as well.. easy as it can get, so long as you can weld and dress the finished piece.

april09 exhaust with JB (39) [640x480] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG april09 exhaust with JB (7) [640x480] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

This is a hard picture for me to put up. Its my late buddy who I spent 40 years or so building various hot rods and race cars with. His son is now as good as he was and we have common ground with the Topo altered.

Knda think thats the picture that defines Hot Rodding

JB, be at peace dude.

Love Gerry

Last edited:
I did a set of individual pipes:
QpvsEfeRqTX2wBZDZWVbY5SuQt3znM4gih4sfEo68PKw4XjK1HMYzkP9KMkSmLAgILVm1wg-Z3ldD-2k9F0seTankULtsCcTWiDejnTbi58UhyiEDPBwVcEyfo7qHpEJGWFWyU0bvuFixatLSxuxOcP9FClJdt6q8jDpCGs0RWMZu2WvggyzIT6dAVGMrIxgHiJmAbjpz4vtpMIuTfjhIGC8zo2t9rxsFJFi_OgjHR4ozkyuQJvL6TrqcFO7kJxbreK1Dc66huo-2QhfDUm8zhqx8Ug3y9ZRhMQ7EifN7eOttp9fTqIop3pkOgu4lnHiCtFJ66RW2zDXTDnmIA9ctosIN7DF0C8ndyigW4azwZwxF2fG5cq5UrwM5r5Jc0fMOg1x5mDuz1T6wtqpHDbD-AoGys_oWDOwmnQ2jg93HfGli8LrDHq_V6ilhGbQNfzJ1Ne3i94zipvn-577zZXWmAAGtOY9mlbP6LmO7AXcg2Luu1eVaKSDlm67qRhz2oQbm49QHCdORPowebfo3xVkKvHE_-RpydxY_xFQxq37A3iX050yf9kaRP1H320VwY3uN0Kjb3nZLUwXPYWp_3JjzEM7fUjwhJ8qWylh0TqY_Xv4DFZ2vPVEEmyB0t4Xd71wZWETXS8Yz9D-wBDP83saNArb8hLDWJtV3fdScsmRFYcdBA_mwJiSwD8k5BfYhLcrlyimBDSs3TUvjC7fULZ4MdhZ6FlDrmImnM-1YhL23IMjg74=w922-h692-no

...and some homemade glasspacks for each pipe:
-2A-Un94JuxmgwRKvx3rY4xQ1I2Z6mP39BdSjqJgekSjO18gY_277yoiDU-rBiL3R1wUDYr7f3cQICiaF_Z7D_Xg1gUXJ6Ss63vV8fFwzw-9Oy-Axp7EDeYx031wLpeU7m2HeCTOTFswcg6IDpa_-PHg6ld3uvTBC9W1K64hLZbipoeHi3dMPREfer-9FRhyEc0QFn-twvljaghusXVep34f_J-Ye9r6Lc1_vDV_Bjn9VxrKIDuaKW5iGTJ34jO6YJHm-zEgGeSmxbOQ1MpV8vQaUp__JO8BDiP8PVTM6KRt_U6mE3jaawIalSVYRff9RWcQKfVxXcr6SvE2yNomArdJ-ImbywrDV1NfASK70lC7mjferzgE9ybeR_n2FKtP6STel3Iu3KLsdmU8rM1xB7J0dss6G7BHIYJnMPnlhSUsJI5zTYUOeaeybX7zaWeuYzm2q8CfqsZaAUjqTTti0Q0Vks_PeeNDNcMVouwiC4rhWedpaJiWML66Jep2-n-iOykr_r8XERSeEh-Fg6c0irYhvTcs0zBkaFeWPpzFoNxA-V6IerSOxYLeQzX9iQzobTA5ue_kotLaEaVbL32_NP0QYYMBLUwtlX25YNN6JJmk_0UXgd7o6lIm-tRHsBFYLZ8NMczWQzvRXFqBvd6B5E092knC1hdJ4p6POC7PgNWFinuYPA7rvvTquPQsUgNys3Fyp8hst9s0qX7DmqL5dwy2HHlfG0uJ5uIWrjsaoM4rdnY=w692-h519-no

Wrapped them with motorcycle packing.

Cool ride Gerry! Gotta love an injected bright yellow "T" with 16 shinny pipes.:thumbsup::thumbsup: Are they called shot gun tubes over in England as well? Are yours muffled? Would like to see more pictures of the injection set up. :D

We just call them 'headers or pipes'. Straight thro S Steel.

Loads of pics of the car and injection already on this site, just do a quick search.

G

Gerry, thank you, and the feeling is mutual.
Nesh, it helps to have quite a lot of OCD. And a wife who doesn't check the bank statements...

One thing about the individual pipes, you can hear each cylinder fire. Eight distinct pops, it's like 4 Harleys idling side-by-side. Collectors merge the pops into more of a drone. But I kinda like the pops...

What the hell is OCD? I'm blind in one eye, can't see out of the other--deaf in one ear and dumb in the other. Crippled up and crazy and enjoying what life I have left and no alphabet syndromes are gonna stop me.

I can hear/feel ya coming and get outta the way. Noise is what gets the idiot drivers attention. LOOK!!!!!!!!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back