Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Death wobble seems to be gone.

Cured my Death Wobble.
Situatation before I touched anything, checked alignment it was :
Camber Left= -1/2degree right= -1 degree
Caster left= +6.5 degrees, right= 7 degree
Toe in= 1/4"
Tires are radials MT 24by 5/15" Tire inflation L= 32 psi, right 27psi
Found one jamb nut loose on the tie rod, both wheel bearings were loose and out of spec.
Right front tire was out of balance

The fix:
1)Remove and inspect wheel bearings, repack and torque to 20lb/ft then loosen nut , re-torque while spining tire(no brake caliper), loosen one flat install cotter pin. Checked by spining tire, very slight drag, they are tighter than normal spec, so I'll leave them there and watch for wear but think I'll be fine with that light front end.
2) Inflate both front tires to 22psi, balance rt front.
3) re-align front end to:
Caster: 6 degrees both sides
Toe out 1/16"
4) Torque all heims and tighten jamb nuts.
5) Install SoCal steering dampner

I'm doing jumping jacks on the steering and ride now, so much more smooth, no more bouncing (too much tire pressure) and the bad bumpy roads dont send the car into seizures now.
;)

Good for you. Sometimes it only takes a few little things to make a difference. Does your steering feel more stable with the stabilizer ? I love them and just installed one on my current project...........won't ever build a car without one again.

myrpulowershockmounts004.jpg

Don

Definitely noticed a positive effect Don, seems much smoother on the steering control. I'll really shake it out over the next few days.

We find what cures the death wobble is the toe. Changing from toe in to toe out will usually fix it.
Thanks Ron for your input on this matter, it helped me bird-dog this problem.

I have heard that even if you put in a little toe in the effect of the car going down the road pushes the tires back slightly and lessens that toe in angle and maybe even changes it to toe out. Not sure if that is true but just something I read somewhere.

Don

Yes toe does change going down the road. Effected by play or flex in steering parts.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back