Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Direct mount gauges

tfeverfred

Today at work, I played with the thought of running direct mount gauges for my oil presure and water temp. Just to be different and have a minimal dash layout. Has anyone run them? Other than having to get out of the car to check them, are there any cons?

moon.jpg

Driving down the road.Oil pan plug loosens abit or road debree puts a small hole in the pan and oil starts to leek out all of a sudden you hear a god awfull knock then the engine stops and won't turn over.STILL WANNA USE THEM?

Hmmm... that could be bad.:eek: I'm just playing with different ideas for stuff.

tfeverfred said:
Hmmm... that could be bad.:eek: I'm just playing with different ideas for stuff.
Dont play with that one bro.

You could run the remote gauges and a small idiot light inside the cockpit.

Youngster said:

How would that wire up?

Youngster said:

Idiot light to tell you your loosing preasure or you have no oil and you have damage already?I wouldn't play with this idea.

Rick said:
Idiot light to tell you your loosing preasure or you have no oil and you have damage already?I wouldn't play with this idea.

But most new cars have just a light. Does the light come on at a pre-set pressure drop?

It would require a 'T' with 2 senders. Simple to do, sometimes hard to hide.

Youngster said:
It would require a 'T' with 2 senders. Simple to do, sometimes hard to hide.

Nah, that wouldn't look good at all. Oh well. It sounded cool when I was day dreaming today. I get all kinds of ideas at work, when it's slow.

Rick, I'm not EVEN going to post my idea for a fuel gauge alternative!:eek::eek:

Rick said:
What,let me guess.Jump out and use a stick?

It wasn't THAT slow today!:lol: I was thinking a site glass or tube running along the outside of the tank.

I hope it's busy tomorrow.

What about mounting the gauges on the cowl? There used to be some little cups for mounting fuel pressure gauges out side of the drivers compartment. You could mount any gauge in them. Or maybe in the back of an air cleaner?
I have my tack mounted on the cowl and the fuel pressure and boost gauges on the back of the blower.:lol:

VERY impressive setup, RPM! I'm going to stick mine in the dash like everyone else. I was just brainstorming and thought I'd toss an idea out there.

The sight gauge is a good idea, but can you imagine what position you would have to be in at 65 mph to read it?

I toyed with putting the gauges in the back of the carb scoop, would look good but didnt want to cut holes in a new one!!

Will look at it again later.. should be reasonably easy to do and will be in my eyeline as well, at the moment my gauges are beside the steering box at floor level. The only gauge on the dash is a dakota digital speedo.

I think it would be wise to heed ricks advice. Finding out you have a problem and seeing you are getting a problem are two completly different things. I know you always look for ideas and there must be at least 1 or 2 gazillion ideas on different style gauges for a T bucket. Maybe I don't have enough confidence in what I do but I am constanly watching and listening to the engine when I am runnig down the road. Maybe you could do both, there are several very small, bout 1-1/8 inch gauges that could be fitted to the engine and would not be too obtrusive.
Good Luck

Randall

Guys.... I was just brainstorming and thought I'd throw it out and see what the opinions were. I do that a lot, it's just the way I am, I guess. I'm NOT going to do it. I'm mounting a set in the dash, just like everyone else does. I do appreciate the opinions though.

I saw that Mooneyes had them and wondered why I had never seen any on a hot rod before. All your answers are good. Remember, I'm a learner, so I tend to think a little outside the box. This time, I was waaaaaaaaaay outside!:lol:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back