Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

EFI Plus Carb = Increased Performance

one finger john

In this months Popular Hot Rodding (October), there is a comparison article that involves attaching a TPS sensor to a carburetor and in one test use the carb alone as a carburetor while in a following test use the carb as a throttle body for fuel injection. Everything else was the same. Engine, cams, headers, intake manifold, all were the same. Injectors were positioned in the manifold so they were left in place while the carb tests were run. After the tests the question was asked weather using both F.I. and carburetor at the same time would provide a performance advantage. The only answer was a cryptic "Yes". Any comments on the possibilities and probabilities on such a combination ?

John

In this months Popular Hot Rodding (October), there is a comparison article that involves attaching a TPS sensor to a carburetor and in one test use the carb alone as a carburetor while in a following test use the carb as a throttle body for fuel injection. Everything else was the same. Engine, cams, headers, intake manifold, all were the same. Injectors were positioned in the manifold so they were left in place while the carb tests were run. After the tests the question was asked weather using both F.I. and carburetor at the same time would provide a performance advantage. The only answer was a cryptic "Yes". Any comments on the possibilities and probabilities on such a combination ?

John

A lot of it depends on the ECU and if they used a Wide Band O2 sensor.

I'm in the process of converting to EFI and I can already tell a difference just listening the engine idle and the lack of an overbearing Rich smell.

Part of the problem for T-buckets is the making all the wiring look neat on an open engine car. When you have a coolant sensor, TPS sensor, Idle Air Control sensor, Air Inlet Temp sensor, MAP sensor, and O2 sensor, plus the injector harness, it's hard to hide or make it look neat. It can be done, just takes some thought to plan it out.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back