Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Elec. Fuel pump.

oino

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
If I wanted to have my fuel pump run only why the car is running. Could I move the power going to it to the coil side of the key switch?
Would there be any problem with doing this?

This is exactly why i set a ford solenoid to feed the fuse panel for all the accessories. before you know it the switch i burnt up because the fan,fuel pump,head lts,and so on are on the key switch contacts.This is how i did it and it works flawless. When you install your key switch i let the ACC of the key feed a ford solenoid so when the key is on the solenoid closes and the battery voltage feeds through the solenoid main posts to the fuse panel for all accessories IE horn headlts fuel pump headlts and so on. This way when you turn the key off EVERYTHING is OFF The start position feeds another ford solenoid that feeds the starter only this way the cable that goes to the starter is only hot when the key is in the start position.

When my key is off everything is off. When I turn to ACC the fuel pump and light will work.
I don't want my fuel to run wail in ACC. Just why the car is running.

I was thinking a toggle switch, But then I'd forget to turn it on. hehe

When my key is off everything is off. When I turn to ACC the fuel pump and light will work.
I don't want my fuel to run wail in ACC. Just why the car is running.

I was thinking a toggle switch, But then I'd forget to turn it on. hehe
TOGGLE SWITCH, SO WOULD THE PERSON THAT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE DRIVING YOUR CAR! :bow: THE START SIDE OF THE KEY SWITCH, IS WHAT TURNS ON MY IGNITION AND FUEL PUMP, THE STARTER POINT WILL HONK THE HORN, TO CATCH SOMEONE TRYING TO START MY CAR, A NO NO... I ONLY USE A SEPARATE STARTER BUTTON TO WORK THE STARTER MOTOR... WHEN THE COIL IS DEAD, SO IS THE FUEL PUMP, BUT A SEPARATE TOGGLE IS STILL GOOD IN THAT LINE... :)

Can't you put it on a oil preasure switch, that way it comes on when oil preasure comes up
IF YOU RAN OUT OF GAS, THAT WOULD BE A REAL FIX, NO FUEL TO THE CARB TILL RUNNING, NOT GOOD IN ANY CASE, OIL PRESSURE SWITCH FOR THE IGNITION SHUT-OFF MAYBE FINE, MIGHT BE BETTER TO HAVE THAT SHUT OFF THE FULL BATTERY SUPPLY?... UNLESS YOU HAVE BATTERY POWERED POWER BRAKES OR STEERING :bow:

IF YOU RAN OUT OF GAS, THAT WOULD BE A REAL FIX, NO FUEL TO THE CARB TILL RUNNING, NOT GOOD IN ANY CASE, OIL PRESSURE SWITCH FOR THE IGNITION SHUT-OFF MAYBE FINE, MIGHT BE BETTER TO HAVE THAT SHUT OFF THE FULL BATTERY SUPPLY?... UNLESS YOU HAVE BATTERY POWERED POWER BRAKES OR STEERING :bow:

Wile cranking the engine you should have power to the elect pump. in the "on" position it requires oil pressure to close the circut. makes a good safety system in case of an accedent, (as well as a loss of oil I'm sure).

Russ

As it turns out their is a million ways to do something

I like the oil preasure switch idea, But I don't have a elec. oil switch.

I like the oil preasure switch idea, But I don't have a elec. oil switch.

Lots of late 80s GM cars use them. ac delco # d1808a - for the matching connector use pico # 5609pt
I recomend wiring it through a relay so full pump voltage load isn't put through the sensor/switch.
Russ

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back