Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Engine is lower than rear end. How do I mount these???

I know this type of question is drawn out like crazy and have read many pieces of info on this. However I think my situation is a bit different.

I have been mocking up my frame with major components and notice how things are sitting.
It appears that my engine will be sitting lower than my rear end. If I am leveling the engine by the carb, I will have approx a 3* negative angle. This is bad since the rear is (maybe 5 inches higher as it sits on its wheels)

Do I need to raise my engine (maybe 5 inches) to get level with the rear end or do I raise my trans so it has a positive 3* angle and have my rear at a neg 3* angle????

This seems backwards but I dont see any difference other than engine/ trans not being at a good angle for operation ( fuel/ oil levels)

I will have to measure the difference to be more accurate when I get home but I know that the rear is definitely higher.

Thank you!!

The drive shaft and ujoints don't whether they are running up hill or down hill. Lots of these type cars have the engine lower than the rear end. Sounds like you are fine. Could you post up some pics?

So than in my case, should I raise the trans so that I have a positive angle going up to the rear? Because as of now, a negative degree on both the trans and rear would not work from my research. Yea, I will try to get some pictures however nothing is set in place completely yet. Thank you.

So than in my case, should I raise the trans so that I have a positive angle going up to the rear? Because as of now, a negative degree on both the trans and rear would not work from my research. Yea, I will try to get some pictures however nothing is set in place completely yet. Thank you.

When you hit the go pedal, the rear end will try to spin forward, meaning the pinion will go up. Remember traction bars from the old days? Like Ron said, it doesn't matter which is higher, trans or rear end. Tilt the pinion down 3/5 degrees and you will be OK. Ujoints will work just fine as long as they don't bind up as you rotate drive shaft.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back