Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Engine too! More problems.

Have the wife or a friend drive the Uhaul and you drive your bucket.Now that sounds like a plan.

:hoist: now thats a plan!!!! and thanks to all the great folks here at the land of T's that helped us figure all this mess out.

See, OinO, you were thinking engine rebuild, wouldn't run right, this n that, Ron an Mike had to smack me around a little.... :spank: ......(I need it quite often, folks call me a idiot savante).... :wacky: .... hey, but we got a guys T goin', WITHOUT rebuilding his motor. ( OK Ted, Engine. :jester: (Don't tell anyone I said that! :foottap: )

Now, I getta go play on the dyno!!!! :beat:

:wacky: now thats a plan!!!! and thanks to all the great folks here at the land of T's that helped us figure all this mess out.

See, OinO, you were thinking engine rebuild, wouldn't run right, this n that, Ron an Mike had to smack me around a little.... :beat: ......(I need it quite often, folks call me a idiot savante).... :wacky: .... hey, but we got a guys T goin', WITHOUT rebuilding his motor. ( OK Ted, Engine. :hoist: (Don't tell anyone I said that! :foottap: )

Now, I getta go play on the dyno!!!! :beat:

:jester: Hey now, Were not out of the woods yet. Don't forget my last post. :spank:

S.M., apologies if it seemed I was trying to beat up on you. That wasn't my intention at all. All I could see was someone trying to convince himself a new carb was going to brighten his day and we both know it would not have made spit's difference.

We've managed to get oino a bit closer, but there's still some work to do on that carb. Flames out the exhaust are doubtless down to all the fuel he's been trying to run through the motor. And maybe a fresh set of plugs will clean it up, but I'm still wondering if he doesn't have a vacuum leak somewhere, trying to trick the power valve.

Poor ol' carbs always get the short end of the stick, whenever anything goes wrong. Because most people have never taken the time to see how simple they really are. Maybe I should have been selling new carbs to people, rather than putting in check balls to protect Holley power valves or epoxying up secondary metering well welch plugs in QuadraJets all these years. Heck, if I'm doing a Holley for something I know will be getting junk gasoline run through it, I even modify the metering block gaskets to keep them running right. See what you get for trying to be the nice guy? :foottap:

:foottap: Hey now, Were not out of the woods yet. Don't forget my last post. :jester:
Crank in another 10* advance @ idle, vacuum advance disconnected. Reset float levels to stock height. Check accelerator pump adjustment. HAVE you changed the oil/filter yet? Probably like kerosene by now. Are there mufflers on the car yet? That will tame popping and banging. Check primary power valve operation, might be blown. Find out if the primary jets were changed and if so, find out what stock jets are for say a 300 HP 350 and replace. If you googled the numbers on the carb, it should also give stock primary jet sizes. If they are smaller than what you have in there, replace w/ smaller jets. Does this carb have a secondary METERING PLATE or a secondary JET PLATE? If secondary JET PLATE, does that plate have a power valve? Check it for operation if there is one.
If the balancer/timing pointer combo are correct for engine and the balancer rubber has not torn and allowed the balancer ring to slip and move, set timing @ 10-12* initial w/ vacuum advance disconnected. It will make a BIG difference.

John

P.S. Send lots of pictures of semi finished car.
P.P.S. Fouled plugs will never run right after fouling and cleaning. Replace asap.
P.P.P.S This is carb boot camp, it is rough but effective. You know we luv u.

Crank in another 10* advance @ idle, vacuum advance disconnected. Reset float levels to stock height. Check accelerator pump adjustment. HAVE you changed the oil/filter yet? Probably like kerosene by now. Are there mufflers on the car yet? That will tame popping and banging. Check primary power valve operation, might be blown. Find out if the primary jets were changed and if so, find out what stock jets are for say a 300 HP 350 and replace. If you googled the numbers on the carb, it should also give stock primary jet sizes. If they are smaller than what you have in there, replace w/ smaller jets. Does this carb have a secondary METERING PLATE or a secondary JET PLATE? If secondary JET PLATE, does that plate have a power valve? Check it for operation if there is one.
If the balancer/timing pointer combo are correct for engine and the balancer rubber has not torn and allowed the balancer ring to slip and move, set timing @ 10-12* initial w/ vacuum advance disconnected. It will make a BIG difference.

John

P.S. Send lots of pictures of semi finished car.
P.P.S. Fouled plugs will never run right after fouling and cleaning. Replace asap.
P.P.P.S This is carb boot camp, it is rough but effective. You know we luv u.

mufflers are on the car. Good oil and filter. I'll check the plugs when I get home.
Check this out. This is the Carb I'm using.

Hey Mike,Ron and the rest of the guys, hey, don't even give it a 2nd thought.....I just have a ball, run around working on racing stuff all day and drop in to try to help a little young one out! Sometimes I deserve to get slapped around alittle, a little reality check! haha....don't worry ya'll, I'm not thin skinned, can't be if ya into building racing stuff or you'd stay in the shop all the time and never get out.

Wanna see some fun? Get 2 crewchiefs hot under the collar at each other , ones 1st in points, next one trying to catch him, then stand the 2 side by side.....YEA BABY...FIREWORKS!!!!

I'm sure Mike has seen it....see the Major League Baseball folks empty the benchs....they evidently haven't been around a bunch of hot tempered drag racers. The only ones worse are the circle or oval track boys....you can get hurt up in there!

Hey oino, give the motor more timing, as you were told, and just for conversation, how old is the fuel in this thing? Fresh? No rain and sun directly on the tank?

Keep us informed, we'll be standing by.....

Hey oino, give the motor more timing, as you were told, and just for conversation, how old is the fuel in this thing? Fresh? No rain and sun directly on the tank?

Keep us informed, we'll be standing by.....

Good gas. 2 weeks old. Only been putting in 1gal at a time.
I'm going to get a gal. today and put in there.

Do you mean 3310-3 has #72 jet. or 3310-2
Because I have 3310-3.
Both have 72 primary jets.
What is in the carb now?
Maybe oino didn't mention that he got the carb from a next door neighbor who is a racer. Could be more fingers in this carb pie than thought.
Also secondary metering plate or jet plate?

Both have 72 primary jets.
What is in the carb now?
Maybe oino didn't mention that he got the carb from a next door neighbor who is a racer. Could be more fingers in this carb pie than thought.
Also secondary metering plate or jet plate?

metering plate.

It was my neighbors brother inlaw. I also think he thought it was a 650. It had a tag on the carb. when I got it that said 650 and I asked him for a 650.

metering plate.

It was my neighbors brother inlaw. I also think he thought it was a 650. It had a tag on the carb. when I got it that said 650 and I asked him for a 650.
72s in the your primaries or larger? Did you check the power valve? Should be 6.5 stamped on it. Take it out and suck on it. I don't know which end, but it should hold a vacuum. If not, replace it. (Or is it blow?)
Do metering plates have power valves? Check for one back there (in the secondaries). Wonder why it would be tagged as a 650? Does the base plate (throttle plate) sit flat on the manifold w/no gasket?

John

Neighbor's brother in law? How much did you pay?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back