Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Exhaust System

Johnny

Alright, I have been looking and looking at exhausts on T-Buckets and it appears that most do the side pipes 20" or 26" long. Lake style headers are waaaay too expensive, for me. It also looks like everyone has the side pipe exit going straight out away from the body. Is there any reason why the exit hole can't go straight down? Would it cause more sound to bounce back into your ears?

I just need to hear a few opinions about exiting the exhaust straight down. Bad idea??

Thanks

Alright, I have been looking and looking at exhausts on T-Buckets and it appears that most do the side pipes 20" or 26" long. Lake style headers are waaaay too expensive, for me. It also looks like everyone has the side pipe exit going straight out away from the body. Is there any reason why the exit hole can't go straight down? Would it cause more sound to bounce back into your ears?

I just need to hear a few opinions about exiting the exhaust straight down. Bad idea??

bad idea it will blow dust and grass all over you i had my exhaust dumped on my truck and i hated it

Well, that makes sense. Any advantages or disadvantages with 20" and 26" side pipes?

Thanks, guys

Well, that makes sense. Any advantages or disadvantages with 20" and 26" side pipes?

Thanks, guys

The 20" side pipes come with a 7" muffler and are significantly louder than the 26" side pipes with the 12" muffler. Depending on body placement, your less likely to burn your legs with the 20" side pipes, that's why I'm running them.

the Classic style headers (all four pipes go straight down then bend back) use the 20" turnouts because the rear pipe is further back. The Sprint style headers use 26" turnouts because the rear pipe bends forward then bend back. I have had both styles and both turnouts. Use a 26" turnout on Classic style headers and it will hit the rear tires. Can't even get them on.

the Classic style headers (all four pipes go straight down then bend back) use the 20" turnouts because the rear pipe is further back. The Sprint style headers use 26" turnouts because the rear pipe bends forward then bend back. I have had both styles and both turnouts. Use a 26" turnout on Classic style headers and it will hit the rear tires. Can't even get them on.
What you say is perfectly true for a short wheelbase car with a short pick up box and a large diameter rear tire. However, if you have a 6" extended body
and a turtle deck which incorporates a 108" wheelbase like my car, ( or a longer pick up box) the 26" turnout with the "classic" style headers will stop 17 1/2" in front of a 31" diameter rear tire as shown in the picture below.

IMG_2721-1.jpg

Jim

P.S. If you are using a "conventional" '23-'25 style body you will experience 11 1/2" between the turn out and 31" rear tire which leaves plenty of room.

bad idea it will blow dust and grass all over you i had my exhaust dumped on my truck and i hated it

I second this. I ran a set of turndowns off a muffler on a previous ride for a while. It was waaaay louder than when it exited our the side!

P.S. If you are using a "conventional" '23-'25 style body you will experience 11 1/2" between the turn out and 31" rear tire which leaves plenty of room.

I would make sure and measure first before purchase. Got sevral friends with 23 regular bodies and short pickup bow with 31" M/T's or Hoosiers and can only fit 20" turnouts. Yes, a long wheelbase is no problem.

You could like I did and run both size turnouts. I wanted a quieter exhaust (the wife insisted) , so I cut the curved part off the 20", installed it with a muffler, then installed a 26" with muffler. Comes out 9" in front of tire and still has a nice rumble. Body and frame are CCR long body.

Attachments

• DSCN0322 reduced.jpg
    DSCN0322 reduced.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 53
How do those baffles install? Just push them in, or do they screw in someway?

Sorry about the dopey question. :suicide:

I currnetly have short 4" turnouts that I mounted on my Hooker big tube headers with a 4" collector. My previous 3 sets of small tube 3 1/2" collector headers had the 20" or 26" turnouts. I modified a set of Speedway augers to fit the 4" collector/turnouts. But right now they are currnetly being used in the jet boat so I just have open turnouts on the bucket. The Hooker headers came with massive 4" turnouts with mufflers that weight about 40lbs each. That is why I use the short turnouts.

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad249/blownt/Picture070DD.jpg

Not to jack this thread but i too am having some indecisiveness over my 26" extensions. I am wondering if i should return them and go with the 20's instead. They do not hit the tire but are pretty close. I do still have another 2"+ that they need to be slide forward on the header. What do you guys think?

IMG_0147.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back