Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fadsters new photos volume 1

Man that is so COOL. Up on the wheelie bars and going staright. Congrats on the 8.90 pass. All your hard work paid off.
MF4M3332.jpg

Cool pics, congrats on making it into the 8's. :cool:

8.96 - well thats a big challenge for me. :lol:

Im running about where you were before you fitted the NOS. My best is 10.2 but Ive just upgraded from an oversized 454 & 671 to an oversized 540 & 671. So Im expecting to go to mid 9s next season with no other changes. Only got one meeting in this year, and it was with a borrowed engine and no blower so that doesnt count for anything.

My biggest problems are weight, (1120kgs without me in it) and lousy 60ft times (high 1.6s).

So educate me.

Transbrake?
rear gears?
Spool?
blower overdrive?
Carb size?
Fuel?

We are on the edge of winter down here so no more racing till September.

I dont think any of us are capable of running 8s, but you do seem to have excited a few who may take their buckets out for a quartermile smile:D

Well done

Cheers
Hot Rod Todd
Christchurch
New Zealand

Hot Rod Todd said:
8.96 - well thats a big challenge for me. :lol:

Im running about where you were before you fitted the NOS. My best is 10.2 but Ive just upgraded from an oversized 454 & 671 to an oversized 540 & 671. So Im expecting to go to mid 9s next season with no other changes. Only got one meeting in this year, and it was with a borrowed engine and no blower so that doesnt count for anything.

My biggest problems are weight, (1120kgs without me in it) and lousy 60ft times (high 1.6s).

So educate me.

Transbrake?
rear gears?
Spool?
blower overdrive?
Carb size?
Fuel?

I dont think any of us are capable of running 8s, but you do seem to have excited a few who may take their buckets out for a quartermile smile:D

Well done

Cheers
Hot Rod Todd
Christchurch
New Zealand
Yooo Todd, Pics and lots of them with your car leaving the line...
I see Fadsters T is looking like Stone Woods and Cook's AG/S willys used to look, when it was also a squat chassis... If you change that to lift, or no squat at all, you will pick up a bunch, in every direction... Plus get those springs in front of the rear end, in back is only for heavy cars... well you just may fit in that bunch hehe :lol: What gear did you say you run? E me...

Well done Andy, that's some achievement...

I'm surprised you didn't break anything else after that wheel stand, looked like it came down rather heavy! Clean pants? :)

Hot Rod Todd said:
8.96 - well thats a big challenge for me. :)

So educate me.

Transbrake?
rear gears?
Spool?
blower overdrive?
Carb size?
Fuel?

Well done

Cheers
Hot Rod Todd
Christchurch
New Zealand

Hey Todd,

2009 spec is as follows

Engine: 406 dart SBC, dart pro1 heads, roller custom grind cam, JR forged pistons, 175 shot nitrous, dual 600 cfm edelbrock four barrels, 6-71 weiand running 9 psi, super unleaded fuel with no additives, steel crank, eagle rods. Last dyno reading was 966 hp at 6700 with 950 ft/lbs torque.

Gearbox: 2 speed JW 'Glide with transbrake and manual shift.

Torque converter: JW 3500 stall saturday night special.

Axle: 9" Ford with 3.5 gears and LSD....No locker.

Tyres: Mickey Thompson ET Street in a 315/60/15..these are street legal tyres...not slicks.

60 ft times are around 1.40 - 1.44. Usually running 128 at the 1/8th and 150 - 155 in the quarter.

There really isn't anything special about the set up, just some cheap ladder bars at the rear with GAZ adjustable shocks and 225 springs.

Front end is a speedway stainless job with radir wheels front and back.

4000 miles on the road last year and some 400 miles already this year so definitely a street car.

Incidentally Todd, I ran quite a few times this weekend without the nitrous to check over some figures for the set up and the track conditions and we were running as good as 9.27 @138 without the gas so thats a big improvement for us.

Andy in the pics you posted, the car has different headers on it. Did you switch headers at the track? If so which ones were faster?

I watched that video about six times. Lovin it.

Didn't seem to make any difference. I ran the zoomies, which I had thrown together the week before the race meet, and did my 8.96 run. Then I discovered a nice crack on one of my less successful welds so changed onto the more traditional headers and ran an 8.96 again so there didn't appear to be any difference regarding performance.

There was a difference with the engine note though and I have to say, I preferred the trad headers for tone......zoomies looked better though I think....what do you reckon Ron ?

I don't know what Ron Reckons but I tell ya one thing... it's been totally cool that from 4718.06 air miles away I've been able to watch your car progress and you get below that 9 sec goal that you've had for the last couple of years... thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with the rest of us... As always, just know that all of us are pulling for you on each and every pass! :thumbsup:

Thanks for that Al....jeez, I'm filling up !! Its such a pleasure to share the experience with like minded guys who love T buckets. Couple of people made the suggestion over the weekend that I might think about buying a racecar..........why ? I love my T !!

The progression and advances, and problems, have been helped along by the enthusiasm given to me by guys on this forum.

We'll have to see what comes next with the T...I have no plans to seek a 7 second run...that would just be a bridge too far. I'm sure there's more in the old thing yet and so the next aim is for an 8.8...something.

Counting down in the tenths, or maybe even hundredths may be the way forward now but you can be sure of one thing, you guys will be amongst the first to hear about it.

All the best from your friend in the UK

Andy

I am suprised there is no difference in ET between the 2 headers. I guess as long as the blower pushs the air out it works.

I think there is a 7 sec pass in your car. More boost? 9 psi is not a lot at all. Can you change you blower drive pulleys? And a lot more tire. Watching the video it looks like a lot of wheel spin coming out. A 1.4 sixty foot is a little slow. A bigger tire would help a lot right there. Also a good posi would help a whole lot. If you were not driving it on the street I would use a spool. I have driven a car on the street with a spool. It can be kinda crazy at times. What kind of a rear end are you using?

Being an old drag racer I love it. :):D:D

andy fadster said:
Thanks for that Al....jeez, I'm filling up !! Its such a pleasure to share the experience with like minded guys who love T buckets. Couple of people made the suggestion over the weekend that I might think about buying a racecar..........why ? I love my T !!

The progression and advances, and problems, have been helped along by the enthusiasm given to me by guys on this forum.

We'll have to see what comes next with the T...I have no plans to seek a 7 second run...that would just be a bridge too far. I'm sure there's more in the old thing yet and so the next aim is for an 8.8...something.

Counting down in the tenths, or maybe even hundredths may be the way forward now but you can be sure of one thing, you guys will be amongst the first to hear about it.

All the best from your friend in the UK

Andy

BUY a race car!!????? I would say a pretty good argument could be made for the case that you aleady have one!! Congrats on the 8

Just Love this thread!!!!

Thanks for your comments Martin, glad you're enjoying it...its just as nice to share it with you.;)

Ron, tyres are a bit of a problem in as much as the class I race in stipulates street legal tyres and any wider, it doesn't fit on the trailer !!:eek: By bigger tyre, do you mean taller or just wider...I assume wider.

The LSD is being replaced with a detroit locker on a yukon 3rd member...currently running 28 spline half shafts so they are being replaced with 35 spline which should help a lot.

The engine was dyno-ed with the 9 psi and although it ain't a lot, there were issues earlier in the T's life when we ran 15 psi with piston crowns letting go. I'm running a low nitrous set up at the moment and I think there is more to come from that......just those damn 60 foots that are killing me...oh, and the rise of 20 mph in the last 1/8th, that would be nice to improve.

I am happy with the performance really though and the R and D side of the tune leaves me with something to do......wouldn't be fun if it came too quick would it ?;)

Yes wider tires is what I meant. No sense making more power if you can't put it to the ground. Can you run a timer on your N2O? Just thinking out loud here. More boost to get off the line then after you get the car going, turn on the N2O in stages.

My inlaws ran a Top Sportsman car several years back with 3 stages of N2O on it. Every shift of the Lenco brought on more N20. The car ran 7.90 @ 200 mph with no blower only N2O.

Already running a progressive Ron although I'm not launching on nitrous it kicks in after 1.4 seconds with 60% then 1 second later on 100%. In truth I'm still playing with the nitrous set up and learning as i go along.

Here is another video from the back of the car showing the type of launches that are typical with a strong pull to the left. This would be nice to cure but I've been told that with a fairly primitive chassis like mine, the effect is simply torque steer on the rear axle.

Don't know how true that is......I do air conditioning :)

Anyway, here it is............

[ame=[media=youtube]mvKI1f_WjOs[/media] - More Fadster[/ame]

RPM wrote...I am suprised there is no difference in ET between the 2 headers. I guess as long as the blower pushs the air out it works.
Ron, when using a blower, the engine gets no HP gain from the exhaust system, it's only function is to aim and quiet the exhaust if running on the street... (or strip) The Blower rules! :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back