Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Found them on E-bay

I like the look of this bucket offered by NEHR Speedcraft, LLC, (http://www.nehrspeedcraft.com/) long and low... I think this must be one of the first fiberglass rat rod kit cars... :rofl: But I really do like the looks of it. What do you think? Anyone know of them or had dealing with them? Not that I'm ordering one (The wife would kill me)

It looks like a nice set up. I just wonder why they would call well built hot rods, rat rods? But this is something I've noticed and overheard many times in the last few years. It seems that to the uneducated or the folks trying to be cool, a rat rod is a hot rod. Yea, it's just words, but to me it shows an uneducated public. When I say uneducated, I mean as far as hot rods go. I've noticed a lot of folks in my area starting to get an interest in hot rods and that is a great thing. Then the first words out of thier mouth is, "I want to build a rat rod."

I like this definition of a rat rod:

"What started out as a rejuvenating breath of fresh air in the stagnating culture of arena rods in the early Nineties has, somehow, become a cartoon version of itself: poorly-built heaps cobbled together by misguided “ratrodders” who revel in their rusty buckets, throwing their empties in the parking lot and yelling “goldchainer!” and “ol’ skool!” in the same sentence. Shame is, they don’t really have any idea what got them there in the first place." - Auto Culture website.

It also seems like companies like this are pushing the term "rat rod", to capitalize on the term. Well, I guess whatever gets the dollars in the register. Kinda sucks.

It seems like a well thought out product and is a change from the norm (being lower). It looks like something I would build, if I was into that look. But I have to admit, sometimes, explaining why a T Bucket looks like it does and why a person sits in it like they do, is part of the fun. As horiffic as this may sound, lack of room and sitting high, is part of what a T Bucket is. To me, T Buckets are about simpicity. I am starting to see a lot of them that are actually over engineered. If I was going to go through some of the modifications I've seen some guys do, I'd just build a regular car. These cars are as basic as a car can be and that's what they were meant to be. Hell, that's thier roots. Why are so many people trying to make them so hard?

I like 'em simple, not as simple as mine maybe, but a BUCKET. It's not meant to be so complicated. I wonder how many guys have started a T Bucket project and given up because they lost the idea of what they were building? Trying to get a smooth ride? Get a dang Lexus! Trying to get leg room? Build something bigger!

Wow. that was a hell of a rant. :soapbox: Wonder where that came from? :rofl: I guess this is what happens when I don't post as much as I used to.

Well said Fred :rofl:

You got it Fred. Sometimes as i'm rollin' down the freeway (not to often 'cause i don't really like freeways) in my T-Bucket, watching the front wheels rollin' along, the fan spinning and cars speeding by i really have to admire the simplicity of these things. Then other times i wonder what the hell i'm doing out there with nothing between me and those big ole behemoths but a flimsy little fiberglass shell and a few pounds of metal. No matter. I know i'm having a ton more fun than they are.

I just went to their web site and checked 'em out. I think they really missed the boat by classifying them as rat rods. It looks like a pretty cool kit.

In my opinion, they made a rather ugly Z-ing of the front frame because they were too cheap to spring for a dropped axle to get the beautiful low look. Other than that, I like they way you sit down inside the body and they profile quite nicely too. But like they say, "opinions are like ***holes, everyone has one and they usually stink."

Jim

It looks like their welder needs to practice a little more. Not that good looking weld beads you would expect from a pro built shop. Just my 2 pennies worth. Dwight

For the money, they could have sprung for some nicer stuff. The seats say CRAFTSMAN on them for Pete's sake.

I van remember a time when a ''T'' was called a Hotrod. Then they where called ''Bellybuttom cars''. Next came ''Street rods''. And now ''Rat rods'' by the unwashed masses. My point is they all are terms for what we here have come together for, the wonderfull lil ''T'' bucket.

In the early '70's I finished my 396 powered, MAS bodied ''T''. The first time out, I used the gas for the lawn mower to get to the station to fill her up. As I'm pumping my gas, a kid on a Stingray bike coasts up to look the car over. After a few minutes he says ''Nice dune buggy mister.'' I was about ready to shove his punny lil head in the windshield washing bucket. Instead, in my best fatherly voice I told him it's a ''T bucket"". The kid is now 48 years old and has one of my chassis under his own bucket.

This company using the term ''Ratrod'' is using it as a marketing tool and wisely so. That's the termiology for these cars with todays entry level guys. If that's what it takes to draw the into the sport, then so be it. Once they're here we can hone their thinking.

As for the quality of cars the ''Ratrod'' embrasses, that also where the experienced folks here are such a boon to the new guys. We all, new and old builders can learn from each other. I've been doing this for a long time. My first car would easily fit into this catagory. I'm thankfull to all the guys who have helped me over the years to develope the knowledge for my builds.

Ufda .. that got really long, sorry.

Ron

Good story Ron. I do like some of the design ideas on those cars.

My problem is after going to runs and seeing things like mailboxes used as scoops the term "Ratrod" is starting to make my skin crawl. In the beginning of the ratrod phase, with the bare metal frames and flat finishes there was some great cars being built. Now it seems that would be builders use whatever kind of trash they have laying around to stick on a car. I feel that a car should be safe to drive and pleasing to the eye. There has to be a measure of fit and finish to them.

:bubble:

I don't see $12,000 being entry level. I should have $3k to $4k in mine finished and painted (nicely - not spraybomb). For the quality I see, the kit should be a complete roller (all assembly required) for $3k to 4k. Who can afford $12,000 with no engine or trans?

Bruce I totally agree with you. These cars have always been out there it's just that they wheren't accepted in the main stream. Now we see them at shows and there are publications that support them. I wonder how long this will last. I've seen a lot of trends come and go but the well built car has always been here.

Wicked ... you are a builders builder. You have the abillity to fab a car with taste and inginuity, a welcomed talent today with the advent of kit cars. I also agree an entry level car at 12k is a bit out of most peoples range. It's is possible to put together a sweet chassis for under a grand using catalog parts. A rolling kit at 3 to 4k is not unreasonable. On the other hand, if the builder wants to work for MacDonalds wages, putting 200 hours in a chassis and selling it for $1500 ain't gonna make ya rich. Folks that are in the market for a ''kit'' car need to understand that too.

Ron

If you have a jig set up, you should have a chassis with all the bracketry done with one guy in half a day. The other half day to weld components. Another guy can take a whole day cutting pieces out. With materials and overhead, I wouldn't think that $2,000 would be out of line for raw steel. Who knows what heims, bolts, etc. would add up to. I'd say they have $6,000 invested in each kit with labor covered. So $6k free and clear is a great profit, but they totally missed the entry level "rat rod" mark. You can buy "Nice" stuff for that kind of money.

Bruce I totally agree with you. These cars have always been out there it's just that they wheren't accepted in the main stream. Now we see them at shows and there are publications that support them. I wonder how long this will last. I've seen a lot of trends come and go but the well built car has always been here.

Wicked ... you are a builders builder. You have the abillity to fab a car with taste and inginuity, a welcomed talent today with the advent of kit cars. I also agree an entry level car at 12k is a bit out of most peoples range. It's is possible to put together a sweet chassis for under a grand using catalog parts. A rolling kit at 3 to 4k is not unreasonable. On the other hand, if the builder wants to work for MacDonalds wages, putting 200 hours in a chassis and selling it for $1500 ain't gonna make ya rich. Folks that are in the market for a ''kit'' car need to understand that too.

Ron

I like that they're doing something a bit different, yet not obnoxious. I think they may be out of the range of some buyers, but there are certainly others that can spring for it. They do have a nice package even if I don't care for the radius rods and some of the bracketry.

I also applaud anyone who steps into the business of building an manufacturing and building of hot rods. This guy is living the dream and hopefully is going to make it. The 4 guys that are are Banner sponsors are also living that dream. I only get to play with hot rods after I work for the man for 9+ hours a day... :bubble:

Someone needs to contact these guys and get them on board the site!

I can't imagine building a complete car with new parts for $3K to $4K. Now I'm sure guys have built those inexpensive cars when they get stuff given to them...engine, transmission, rear end, etc. But I can say from my own experience that bringing a $200 engine and $25 transmission back to brand new condition, parts only, ended up being about $2,600. Only $185 of that was given to the machine shop for cam bearing install, hot tank and brush honing. I've got it all listed on a spread sheet.

The guys in the business like Ron Pope [RPM], Spirit Cars and others are not getting rich doing what they do. Also, $10k - $15K is not all that much for a custom car. If ya think so, then set your sights on a Cobra replica and see what that will set you back. That's where I started and I can say that I decided that $30K was too much. Try all you like, but you just ain't gonna build a nice Cobra replica for much less. Now some of you guys can relate to this.....

Tell the wife you would like to build a Cobra or Jag replica. Show her the pictures. Explain how cool she'll look pulling up to restaurant in that car or cruising through the country side on a nice fall afternoon. She'll say "Yea, do it...How much?" That's when the hammer falls. "$30K!!! are you kidding or what. You want to spend $30K on a car you might not even finish?" That's when you fall back to the T-bucket, 27 Roadster plan. She still thinks she'd look cool in one of those too. Maybe even cooler depending upon her mood. Tell her it would be half as much as the Cobra and will still be a street rocket. Sort of like the Cobra with a different body. You get full backing for the project. Right guys?

Interesting but not very well thought out and not very well executed. The steering could be better presented rather than what they have... is that a VW box? Lots of those have been used without looking cobbled up.

Don't care much for the front Z right in front of the firewall. Look at how beautiful ExJunk's frame looks in comparison. It's low, but it's also well thought out and very nicely presented.

The welds look like I did it, and that to me is kinda scary. Might have good penetration, but they just don't look too good to me.

Anyone here have big feet? Mine aren't huge but I wear 11.5 EEE and there ain't no way I'd be able to drive this think looking at the interior shot of the tranny hump.

What I DO like is the long(er) bed.

This is my opinion. The end.

Good points all around. Despite the ugliness of the chassis - I've decided to buy one and build me first Bucket. I'll post my progress with pictures on my blog at hotrodnewbie.com. The chassis should arrive mid-July so check in on my work at that time if you're interested.

Derek

Good points all around. Despite the ugliness of the chassis - I've decided to buy one and build me first Bucket. I'll post my progress with pictures on my blog at hotrodnewbie.com. The chassis should arrive mid-July so check in on my work at that time if you're interested.

Derek

After looking at your site I would recommend an electric speedo also much easier to program. On my bucket I will have to get a ratio adapter to get miy cable operated to read right gears are not available with my tires and gear ratio.If you ever decide on different size tire you just have to reprogram.

After looking at your site I would recommend an electric speedo also much easier to program. On my bucket I will have to get a ratio adapter to get miy cable operated to read right gears are not available with my tires and gear ratio.If you ever decide on different size tire you just have to reprogram.
I'm getting by with an extra gps we had laying around since I haven't figured out how I'm going to adapt my used VDO speedo yet.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back