Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front Shocks

Hey Guys,

What size shocks are some of you guys running and does anybody have pictures these shocks set-ups? I was at a car show where a t-bucket guy had a set-up where it was connected from his frame with a bar going up that had connected to the top part of his shock and the bottom was connected to the leaf spring shackle.

Thanks, T-Bucket Bob

Here is my setup.

Don

tinstallpaintedfrontendparts011-3.jpg

I am using front shocks from a '49 plymouth. They are short and have a good rate. They are available from Rock Auto in Wisconsin, and they're cheap. About half the price of Speedway short shocks. If you are goiing to make your own mounts anyway you can make them to fiit any shock.

I wouldn't put them on the radius rods (too weak) unless you did it like the black and gold car. GUSSETS

butch27 said:
I wouldn't put them on the radius rods (too weak) unless you did it like the black and gold car. GUSSETS
With the support brackets that come with Totals kit that is not an issue.You tie the top and bottom rods together and they act as one large mount.

the '49 plymoth shocks have been the rodders friend since 1949. nice and short. if you run into a clearance problem with the top tube, cut it off and it will work just fine. when mounting this or any other shock, keeping it at a 60 degree angle will allow it to function properly. any thing less and the dampening drops off quickly. if you are replacing a shock mounted at a sever angle, go with the heavy duty version, otherwise the standard replacement will be the best choice

Ron

Any one have dimensions and specs and more pics of the 49 Plymouth shock?

Looking at rockauto, looks like they are monroe #5752 shocks??

My radius rods ar not the cheep total 3/4 rods mine are the 7/8 seamless 3/16 very strong

Rooster57,

Did you make or buy your gauge bezel?

paulski, i think they have the same specs as the P&J shorties. at least that's what we were led to believe when they were introduced.

Ron

Don......great pix of the shock mounts. Same rad rod as I got (whatcha call 'em...? Wishbone??) Am trying to fab the towers using 1/8" x 1-1/2 steel strap, boxing for strength, and will weld 'em to the frame, and the lower mounts, fab'd from the same stock will weld to the wishbone(?) radius rods. By the by, how the heck do I get my own snapshots in the body of my post like y'all do?? Oh, yeh, am using Monroe 5752ST units. Kit.

rooster57 said:
My radius rods ar not the cheep total 3/4 rods mine are the 7/8 seamless 3/16 very strong
the 3/4 tube RRods are way too weak for a good street rod, ok on race cars, but not my race cars.. hehe I like things strong. a nic e lookin bracket to connect the top radius rod to the bottom, make a great shock mount.. now setting them at an angle is a very good thing when working with these light T Buckets, as all shocks are made for much heavier cars, so that is a great way to lessen the power, and the throw, if you have a lot of up and down movement, the right spring, then you can keep them from bottoming out by laying them over, as they work in most any position, and every mounting position makes your car act differently. So, do what makes your ride, ride BEST!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back