Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front Spring Perch

bucketkids

Well fellow Bucket Brothers. Months ago we discussed the ride height on my bucket. lot's of good ideas came out but the bottom line is my set-up has been driving me nuts!!! finally this weekend I stuck a piece of 2X4 in between the perch and the spring and wallaa,,, perfection. I couldn't see using a 1 3/4" shim so as you can see in the photos it was chop, cut and reweld. I am tickled pink how it came out. What do you guys think??? Do you think it is stout enough or should I weld on some more bracing?

I also put a pic in on what little Bucket Kid picked out for paint. I just sprayed a corner and I think it will be OK.

Hope everyone had a nice Easter!

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 299
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 262
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 182
Looks like the perch was made a little to high .The only thing I would add is I would weld the backside of the perch to the axle to just to add more weld area because you did change the area of force by quite a bit where now it is on two vertical welds. Just looking to be safe.JMO

If your welds are real good, that should be plenty, if you don't mind me saying so, if this were my project, I would cut 1/8" off both ends of the bolt on spring hangers, This will allow the shackles to slide back and forth... with the short front radius rods, when the frame moves up and down it will want to pull the spring back and forth, this will relieve that binding, just me here, just want you to be on the safe side, broken spring leaves and or hangers are no fun... Ride safe :)

Worked tonight on the radiator brackets. looks good will post a pick tomorrow.

Good idea putz, the other thought I had tonight while mullen over was to weld a 1/4" plate across the top covering the nuts but leaving room to get e wrench in.

Ted, I value your opinions and have read many of your posts to help me on this build. This time you got me though. I don't understand what I need to cut? If you could take a moment to explain I would be most appriciative.

Good idea putz, the other thought I had tonight while mullen over was to weld a 1/4" plate across the top covering the nuts but leaving room to get e wrench in.

Ted, I value your opinions and have read many of your posts to help me on this build. This time you got me though. I don't understand what I need to cut? If you could take a moment to explain I would be most appriciative.
Shorten the spring hangers that bolt to the axle plate, the ones that the shackle rides in, now they are probably 2" wide total, if you either machine or grind off 1/8" from each side, it will now be 1 3/4" wide, narrower than the spring end, this will allow for movement of the front spring without binding when the frame moves up and down... stand on the front perch and bounce up and down, you will see your main leaf trying to be pulled back and forth when the frame moves, due to your short radius rods, the longer the radius rods, the less that movement will be... You can e-mail me if you need more help with this.. tedabrown(at)juno.com

took me awhile to understand ted as well but got it now.he suggests more inwood angle on the spring shackles which makes sense-less chance of it rocking sideways.if you want to weld that extra plate on the perch, why not either put a threaded plate in first so you don't have to worry about nuts or weld the bolts in facing down and use them as studs with the nuts on the bottom.
paint looks good! as does whole bucket

You could add a third gusset in the center over the spring center bolt.

Ron

If for some reason you think you don't trust your welding and want another gusset, you could add one to the bottom side where the perch comes close to the center tube, that will fill in that space and give a bit more support, but you really don't need any more, remember a clean weld itself, is now the strongest part... Ride safe. :) PS, about the shackle hanger being cut down narrower, from 1 3/4" to 1 1/2' plus cut the bushings for that part also, this lets the shackle slide in that part, stopping any bind.. I guess I was not very clear, with my poor choice of words, needs a picture I reckon.. Ride safe :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back