Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gas tank question.

raidmagic

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
So my new gas tank has a way to get gas in it but no way to get gas out of it. Am I better off putting a hole in the top and dropping a line down in it or putting a bung on bottom and attaching a line there and letting it gravity feed like that old keg I had did?

Gosh i hope that was not one of mine.:eek:

Asuming it is a steel tank, weld a pipe bung in the bottom. Then pressure test the tank with air about 5-10 psi and check it with soapy water for leaks. You don't even want to think about having to fix a leak after it has had gas in it.

If you need a pipe bung let know I'll send you one.

RPM said:
Gosh i hope that was not one of mine.:eek:

Asuming it is a steel tank, weld a pipe bung in the bottom. Then pressure test the tank with air about 5-10 psi and check it with soapy water for leaks. You don't even want to think about having to fix a leak after it has had gas in it.

If you need a pipe bung let know I'll send you one.

Yes,yes,yes.........................do what Ron said..................don't weld on one thats had gas in it. I have a bottle of carbon dioxide that I use especially for that purpose of welding tanks......but i do that kinda stuff for a living.....hehe.....ie, dodging blower belts, sqirting 'go juice' down the gullet of a 600+ cu.in., 12,000+ rpm motor while a friend spins the motor over by the top blower pulley, hoping the dawm thing doesn't belch back, etc etc,.......

I have used a B&M transmission drain plug for just such a occassion, if you don't have a welder and aren't comfortable with that.
That way all you gotta do is drill a hole, and fish the male part thru the hole inside tha tank. Bubblegum and a long rod usually will work......:cool:

The bung goes in the top, not the bottom, if it ever leaks at the bottom you are in trouble, but the top is no worry, check any tank, like for boats etc... Top with a tube down close to the bottom (cut at a slice angle), with a bronze screen or just use a good filter in the line before the carb or?? and a easy way to rid the used tank of gas fumes is to put a tube to you exhaust pipe of your running car for 20 minutes, clean to weld this way, (direct from my fuel tank maker) Good luck with your project. :)

It's a brand new tank so there hasn't been any gas in it. Thanks for the concern there. Thanks for the ideas too.

My plan is to build a ceder bed on the back and put a keg tank. I'v seen a couple pic's that were close to that.

one finger john said:
Does your friend sleep with the keg in his bed or close by? Say within arms length?

Have to know, John.

It's sitting in my shop. I'm letting him build his car here.

On the keg tank i did I threaded the top and got a compression fitting from the hardware store then drilled out the fitting so the tube would go all the way thru but the ferrel would stay in place. I slant cut the end of the tube then pushed it to the bottom then raise it up 1/4 inch then tightened the compression fitting and it sealed the tube. I used a smaller tube for a vent and it went up over, down , sideways then Up.. that way if you get upside down . it is not supposed to siphon gas out.. I think they make one way vent valves that will let air in but not leak fuel out.

I 've welded a lot of tanks, I rinse them with hot soapy water a couple of times then presssure fill them with water and usually braze them If there is no air there will be no explosion. The original 427 cobra's had soldered tanks and they would leak after a hard race or a years driving I watered them then heated the seams and wire brushed them to get the solder off then spot brazed them about and inch apart then resoldered them. I don't know if the tank is still in the car. but the Ford Vp is retired and still racing the car.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back