Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Header coating

railroad

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I am waiting for my new gas tank to arrive from Ron and looking for some small projects to get the "purple beast" roadworthy and looking a little better. The headers
are painted and peeling in spots. What is something I can put on, that will look OK to good and last?

Ceramic coating, period. We have it on 4 cars, the longest one has been my 27 that I built 20 years ago with JetHot coating on it. I am restoring the car now but could use the headers as is if I wasn't shooting for really nice. They exhibit no rust except for surface rust down in the crevices where water laid from numerous rainstorms and washings. I am sending them back to Sanderson to be stripped and recoated, and they quoted me only $150.00 for the pair.

Nice part is, you take some metal polish on a rag and they shine right back up. No other way to go in my opinion. OH, they now coat in the original silver, but now black and white too, plus they coat them inside and outside as well.

Don

Yep, Ceramic coating is the way to go.

Do you mean the ceramic coating like Eastwood sells or something like Jet Hot?
I would prefer something I could apply. I can glassbead and heat up with engine heat, which is the procedure Eastwood uses for their product. If you can recommend a brand or supplier, I would appreciate.

thanks,
railroad

If a hammer won't fix it, it's an electrical problem.

I had Jet Hot coated from Sanderson on mine. After I had the exhaust pipes bent and fitted I sent them and the brake pedal and intake manifold off to jet Hot and had them coated too. Worked out great.

I bought mine ceramic coated, don't know how will the paint on stuff Eastwood has works. Eastwood does have good products usually.

If you are going to coat your headers, have them professionally done. Nothing against Eastwood's products, but to have them done right, it requires the ceramic coating to be baked on (at 500 deg). Then get the bright finish, the headers need to be media polished. Some have tried to hand polish them with steel wool, but after a few hours they'll still be dull and your arm will be very tired.

:welcome:

Thanks guys. Sounds like a winter project. I will be doing good to get in some miles before winter, without sending the headers off to be coated.

railroad

If you just are looking to get it on the road, VHT or whatever brands are out there now of header paint will temporarily get you going, but long range consider having them professionally done. Headers rust out from the inside, and when they coat them they do inside and out.

I never had any luck with spray can header paint, but when I built the baffles for my 23 I didn't have time to get them coated. The lip shows between my header flange and my turnouts. I followed the directions to the T, and let them cure something like 7 days before starting the engine. Darned if it doesn't still look good and is sticking well. When all else fails, read the directions I guess. :eek:

Don

I took my headers to Jet Hot in Oklahoma City. Nice folks to deal with. They did a great job, coating inside and out. They have a good warranty and will recoat for free within 3 years I think. After the warranty, if they need recoated, it is only half the original cost. I noticed they stamped a number on the inside of the flange so they know it is their stuff.
Tex-T

Yep, the ones I have that are 20 years old were done by JetHot originally. Back then Sanderson was sending their stuff to JetHot to be done then they would ship them to the end user. Very happy with that coating. Now Sanderson is doing it in-house and we have two sets that they did and those look nice too.

Don

TEX-T said:
I took my headers to Jet Hot in Oklahoma City. Nice folks to deal with. They did a great job, coating inside and out. They have a good warranty and will recoat for free within 3 years I think. After the warranty, if they need recoated, it is only half the original cost. I noticed they stamped a number on the inside of the flange so they know it is their stuff.
Tex-T

What was the turnaround time there.

Can they apply ceramic coating over chrome? I've got an old set of Sanderson headers sitting out in the garage that are pretty burnt up but other then that they are in great condition.

I haven't seen it in a store lately but we used stove pipe paint about 30 yeas ago . slowed down the rust. .you have to use the exhaust heat to cure it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back