Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Headlight conduit

rooster57

Well i ment to post this a while back for you fellow cheapskates like me . I ordered some headlight looms from speedway for cheap and they were just that , But i didnt want to pay 100 clams for headlight conduit. SO this is the deal they say "can NOT be bent beyond 90 degrees" i think they ment 45 deg. Any way my way for what its worth is to remove the plasticliner from the center of the conduit and cut two 1 inch pieces from it and install the two pieces in each end this will hold the braided part in the alum fittings for each end. Then i uses THHN it has a thermol plastic coating and Wil Not be abrased by the conduit . And inside with the headlight wires i slid a piece of solid number 14 copper this allowed me to form the conduit however i wanted and it would stay where i put it . And not Rub my shineys. I hope this is usefull.

Good post Rooster!!!

Ron

That's a great idea Rooster :thumbsup:.

The conduits on the woody T were made from 3/8th inch chrome copper toilet plumbing using a Pep Boys throwaway bender. $2.71 I think at Home Depot. Haven't thrown away the bender yet. :lol:

Cecil

The headlight conduits on my car are more hardware store parts. The chromed brass hose off a sink sprayer. Moen I think LOL....

The braded hose is easy to come by, its the fittings on the end that make it look like a custom job or a plumbing job.

LKE said:
The headlight conduits on my car are more hardware store parts. The chromed brass hose off a sink sprayer. Moen I think LOL....
do you have handy pictures easily accessible?

Tim, those look really nice!!!

rooster57 said:
The braded hose is easy to come by, its the fittings on the end that make it look like a custom job or a plumbing job.

Actually the fittings on the end make it big & bulky, and looking store bought. Don't confuse something you took out of a box as custom.

CAVZFHKC.jpg

Sorry crappy cel phone pic :lol:

I know most of you won't have access to it but the armored cable from an old pay phone headset works great...I use to work for the Old Bell System....

I think i was refering to a bulkhead situation where a transition is needed . A hose through a hole is clean but not always possible. So if you use the fitting out of the box or turn something on a lathe it will look more custom than with no fitting.

I used those Speedway braided hose conduits. Wish you could buy just the billet ends and then use some scrap pieces of braided hose. I drilled my headlite buckets for one end. Then I drilled a hole in the outer side of the frame for the fitting. Then I drilled a bigger hole on the inside of the frame so a socket would fit to tighten the nut. I also removed the plastic liner inside the hose.

Yea if you leave an inch of plastic in each end it will stay in the fitting and be more plyable in the middle.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back