Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hey, gang! It's been a while........ but I'm back!

Mine currently has a 4:56 in it behind a 427, 4speed. I defidently plan to detune it before it is unleashed on the street, lol. I don't know if the fuel tank is big enough to get to the gas station.

47 years ago , I had a street legal '57 chev , c-gas ['member the old gas classes?] had 4.88 gears .running down the highway[ I was dating a girl in a town 25 miles away] that sucker SCREAMED !!
dave

[QUOTE="But seriously, 3:52, 3:73 or 4:11?

It depends on what color seat belts you are going to use. :whistling:[/QUOTE]

They'll probably be black, for the folks that think they need 'em, since I'm planning a red interior.:whistling:

It depends on what color seat belts you are going to use. :whistling:

They'll probably be black, for the folks that think they need 'em, since I'm planning a red interior.:whistling:[/QUOTE]

OK....black seat belts....conservative choice, therefore, 3:52

WAIT.....black seat belts with red interior.....complimentary contrast, probably should go with 3:73

BUT.....if you decide to go with chartreuse seats belts with red interior.....that would definitely call for 4:11

Ain't the harmony of the universe grand? :rolleyes:

47 years ago , I had a street legal '57 chev , c-gas ['member the old gas classes?] had 4.88 gears .running down the highway[ I was dating a girl in a town 25 miles away] that sucker SCREAMED !!
dave
The things we do for love....lol. I had a ford 1 ton dump with a 460 c6 and 4:10 gears. It got about 6 mpg loaded or not. I liked it, but got rid of it due to that reason and replaced it with a diesel. It cost me almost as much to haul stone as it did to have it delivered, but fuel was over $3.00 then.

3.73 or 4.1 with a 700r4. look at the overall gear ratios that trans offers.
Multiply the trans low gear ratio times the rear end ratio. That will give you an idea of how the car will leave from a stop sign. So the 700r has a 1st gear of 3.06 vs a 350 of 2.52.
4.10 x 3.06 =12.54..............700
4.10 x 2.52=10.25................350
you would have to run a 4.98 gear with the 350 to get the same overall effect
now look at high gear
4.10 x .7 = 2.87
4.10 x 1 = 4.10

The more modern OD transmissions offer so much more in the way of stop light acceleration and then high gear OD

Tranny Ratios

They'll probably be black, for the folks that think they need 'em, since I'm planning a red interior.:whistling:

WAIT.....black seat belts with red interior.....complimentary contrast, probably should go with 3:73

BUT.....if you decide to go with chartreuse seats belts with red interior.....that would definitely call for 4:11

Ain't the harmony of the universe grand? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
Sounds like political logic....lol
3.73 or 4.1 with a 700r4. look at the overall gear ratios that trans offers.
Multiply the trans low gear ratio times the rear end ratio. That will give you an idea of how the car will leave from a stop sign. So the 700r has a 1st gear of 3.06 vs a 350 of 2.52.
4.10 x 3.06 =12.54..............700
4.10 x 2.52=10.25................350
you would have to run a 4.98 gear with the 350 to get the same overall effect
now look at high gear
4.10 x .7 = 2.87
4.10 x 1 = 4.10

The more modern OD transmissions offer so much more in the way of stop light acceleration and then high gear OD

Tranny Ratios
you can make the 700 strong too. I put a hardened clutch basket and heavy clutches in mine with a good converter and a shift kit, external filter, cooler and it held up fine to a very healthy 383 stroker and a very heavy right foot! The tricky part was converter lockup control when you want it, but that was only an issue because I was pushing the envelope with compression and having some preignition.

Ain't the harmony of the universe grand? :rolleyes:
Sounds like political logic....lol[/QUOTE]

Yea, that's some high brow thinking, ain't it? :rolleyes:

I'll stick with the trusty 350TH and a shift kit. They've always been good for me.

I don't do transmissions, but we have had them built locally. The guy makes the converter lock up when it goes into OD if you have a switch on the dash turned on. We use a converter for a 4cyl s-10 truck, They will stall about 2500 RPM and lock up too. I had one in a bucket with a healthy 383 stroker and on the highway it would get 25 mpg.

I went with a column shift and a th350. I got 3:73 gears . I kept the PRND123 indicator incase I upgrade to the 700R4.

If you want to upgrade, make sure you allow room, they are longer than a short shaft 350/400. From memory, they are the same length as the medium shaft 350 like they used in vans. FYI, there is a 350c that uses a lock up converter and offers some od, not the same as a 700 as far as gear ratios. I know they put them in Camero's in 81 and c series trucks.

Short tail TH350 and the TH200-4R are essentially the same
length.... within 1/8" and they are the same spline. I built my
200-4R to replace my TH350. I'm using the exact same drive-
shaft, but I did have to modify the transmission mount thou.

transmission-dimensions.gif

I called a few auto yards the other day and 8.8's out of a '96 Explorer are going for $350 - $400 with 3:73 gears and disc brakes. So, I'm really leaning in that direction.

Lots of info about narrowing the 8.8 to center them out there on the web. I did mine in home shop a few weeks ago. Did it using the method of drilling the 3 drivers side plug welds that hold the tube in the housing, pull the tube out, cut 3" (yes, three) off, chamfer cut tube and press it back into housing, weld it up (need to weld complete circumference as stated in earlier post if high HP application). Then you can use another passenger side axle. Hardest part is drilling the 3 plug welds) Also, trued it up without a fixture. (will leave this subject open as I expect lots of "feedback" on it would hijack thread. PM questions to me).

Thanks, guys. There's some great info here and I really appreciate it. Last night, I was asking myself why I needed or wanted a 9" or an 8.8" and the reason was because I could get them with Trac Loc and do real cool smokey burn outs. My final conclusion was to stop thinking like a 16 year old and get what I have used before with GREAT success. So, I'll probably end up with a S-10 or S-15 Blazer rear end and convert it to disc brakes.

But if I later decide to go the 9" or 8.8" route, I'll do so. Ain't this shit easy?

Fred: you can find the S10 rears with disc brakes and posi (Gov-lock). I see them all the time at the pic-a-parts around here. You can read the codes on the tag in the glove box and it will tell you the gear ratio and whether it has a posi. I've got a post somewhere on this site that gives all the codes and such.

Reactions: RPM

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back