Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hiding wires

choppinczech

Not there yet, but I'm thinking about wire routing from the body up to the front end.

How have you guys routed your wiring along your frame rails to your electric fans, headlights, etc.?

Make a nice harness then just attach it to the frame on the inside face of the frame rail. Make one for each side of the car, so you don't have to cross over right up in front, cross over under the dash.

All my headlight wiring is mounted on the left front frame rail at the bottom edge of the inside vertical part of the frame with the brake line above it. With my frame being black and the wires covered in black split tubing you have to look hard to see them. My right headlight wires branch off and are mounted on the lower front side of the cross member the sits directly behind the radiator. The headlight wires on both sides are concealed within the headlight mounts. I do not like the looks or sound of an electric fan on an exposed engine so I'm running a stock fan with absolutely no cooling problems even down here in the HOT "Sunshine State". However, it would be no problem to add those wires to the bunch and connect to the fan. IMHO

Jim

Mine are all inside of the frame. Took extra work but That's what I wanted. oh everything is in sheathing .

I to have been pondering for quite a while the wiring issues. Here is what I've come up with so far...

• At the fire wall, I'm planning on using a 22 pin Weatherpack bulkhead connector. I want to be able to remove the body as easily as possible, and this will make disconnecting the wiring easy.
  • From the bulkhead connector, I want to seperate the wires into 4 black split conduits. One to the engine. One to cross the firewall for the left front wiring. One for the right front wiring. The last for the rear wiring.
  • All the conduits to be run along the lower inside of the frame rails. I figure the conduits should blend in somewhat with the bed liner covered frame rails.
Then there is an idea I had for the conduit going to the rear. To avoid having to go through crossmember(s), using a pair of these to neatly enter and exit the main rails....
wiring cover.JPG
and fishing the conduit through inside the rails. I know that fishing the conduit would have to wait until all welding on the frame rail is finished...but so far I've not seen any other drawbacks <shrug> :unsure:

Mine are all inside of the frame. Took extra work but That's what I wanted. oh everything is in sheathing .
What Butch says. Most of my wiring is inside the frame. Fishing is easy and it not only looks clean, but protects the wiring. At several exit points (taillights and other body items) I use multi-pin connectors (I had the silly idea I might want to remove the body someday; that was 20 years ago). At the headlights the wires go thru a hole up the middle of the mount into the shell. Very clean. Universal Brass Headlight Mounting Brackets, Polished

Last edited:
I have my headlight wires run through the frame. I have headlight stands of the same style that PotvinGuy referenced but mine are polished aluminum. I ran the headlight wires from inside the frame through the channels in the headlight mount. All my other wiring is in black split loom secured with zip ties to mounts like this.These mounts are also available at Lowe's and probably other big box stores.
Self Adhesive Cable Tie Mounts - 4-Way, 1-1/8 Inch

I have two connectors on the firewall; one is the engine harness, the other is the chassis harness. Chassis harness splits three ways; rear, left front and right front. The front harnesses are run through the frame rails. The rear harness is clipped to the side of the rails on driver's side the around the back. Tail lights and plate light are on connectors.

I ran all my wiring through the frame rails. I only have 3"-4" depending... that peeks out of the rail to connect to the intended piece, starter, alt etc.... My headlight stands have a hole to run the wiring up through. It is a very clean look. I added weather tight plugs to separate where the body meets the frame, so in the future I could easily disconnect and remove the body without cutting wires.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back