Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How wide is your rear end?

Coupefreak

It was a fairly decent day here, 'cept for 30-40 mph winds, gusting to 50+:mad:

did a little mock-up with a 8.8" rear end I took out of my Coupe. it looks a little wide to me:confused:
its 56 1/2" from backing plate to backing plate.

I have a TP frame.

I measured 7 1/4" from the backing plate to the spring bucket, is that too wide?

what are y'all using for rear ends?

Vance

I'm using a S-10 Chevy rear. Spirit uses them also. They are cheap as all get out and everywhere. I wanted a 8" Ford and the ONLY one I could find in my area was at a Mustang shop and they wanted $475 with no guarantee on condition!:eek: The guy on the phone said that price like he was doing me a favor.

I have a 8.8 rearend also. It's about 4" wider than most, but you can put on wider tires.:D I do like the fact that I have disc brakes both front and back.

thomas:)

The '98 S-10 I have is just right on the width. Spirit uses what they get from the Wrecking yard across the road from their shop. I was real happy to see that a 15x12 rim, with 4.5 backset fit perfect. I have 6" at the body, and 3" at the tailgate on each side. And it looks correct, I think. Plus that generation of 10 bolt in the S-10 also includes a drum brake for the e-brake, w/ the disc brake.

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the info.:D

Vance

my axle is 58 inches wide with the wheels on the width is 6ft 8inches. It was wider before I changed the axle from a chevy 10 bolt to an independant Jaguar one.

Tbucit said:
Wish I knew who needed an 8 inch and had 400 to spend on it. Local pick a part price was $50.00 Then 2 weeks later a guy gave me two of them
Why would you want to sell one for $400.00 when you got it for free.Damn good deal dude.

I just put my rear end housing temp in place. From flange to flange it is 53 1/2". Looking forward to getting it off of the saw horses soon.

PaulR

I was able to snag a ford 8" for $75 from a neighbor's buddy. Looked high and low at the wrecking yards here and they are harder to find. Even harder are the corvair and vega steering boxes. These yard owners seem to be getting wise to what the hotrodders are looking for. If you can find the stuff, prices are now at a premium. Speedway is looking better everyday.

all-world1 said:
I was able to snag a ford 8" for $75 from a neighbor's buddy. Looked high and low at the wrecking yards here and they are harder to find. Even harder are the corvair and vega steering boxes. These yard owners seem to be getting wise to what the hotrodders are looking for. If you can find the stuff, prices are now at a premium. Speedway is looking better everyday.
Call Mikey at
1-936-544-4849 tell him the butt ugly guy with the Yellow Bucket told you to call from Mich. and he'll sell you a corvair top shape for $175.00 and he pays the shipping.Now hows that for a deal?

Went looking for an 8'' this summer with $200 in my pocket. Found an out of the way yard 40 miles from here. Bought 3 Mavs for $150 and a steak dinner. Put a smile on my face all the way home!!

Youngster said:
Went looking for an 8'' this summer with $200 in my pocket. Found an out of the way yard 40 miles from here. Bought 3 Mavs for $150 and a steak dinner. Put a smile on my face all the way home!!
Mav.might be to narrow but i may be wrong.Whats the Dim.from backing plate to backing plate?

56 1/2'' perfect, all I've ever used since the '57 to '59 Fords disappeared.

Rick said:
Call Mikey at
1-936-544-4849 tell him the butt ugly guy with the Yellow Bucket told you to call from Mich. and he'll sell you a corvair top shape for $175.00 and he pays the shipping.Now hows that for a deal?

Yes that's great, many thanks Rick. I will give him a shout.

I'm running a Mav rearend.

Chevy S-10 here. It's about the same width as an early Mustang rear.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back