Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How wide is your rear end?

I too am using a S-10 rear end. I installed an Eaton 4:10 posi unit in mine though.

One thing that some may not be aware of is that the rear end from a 4WD S-10 is wider than one from a 2WD version.

That 8.8 should work out just fine for you. I use Maverick rears at 56 1/2" or 57".

Ron

I called Jerry at CCR, and asked him when I first started my build and collecting parts.
He told me that around 55" Outside wheel flange to outside wheel flange was about right.
I found a 9" Furd, and it was 68 1/2", so I narrowed it down to 55".
This is all subject to change with the Wheel Back spacing...BUTTTTTTT, be carefull there, because it depends on how wide your wheels are going to be as to how much back spacing they will allow when they build em..(Steel wheels...). So it would be kinda nice to have the wheels and tires in hand as you "Mock Up", The body too so you can check the tire clearence...
Jus my 2 cents worth...."BH"

Hey Baby Huey. Are you using an extended body from CCR?IF so I'm trying to put a car together with one of their bodies and talked to CCR about the width of a 9" rear and they said the housing was 54" and over all width is 59". Using a 4 1/2" back spacing. Does that sound right? Thanks. Do you have any pictures of your ride?

KAA said:
Hey Baby Huey. Are you using an extended body from CCR?IF so I'm trying to put a car together with one of their bodies and talked to CCR about the width of a 9" rear and they said the housing was 54" and over all width is 59". Using a 4 1/2" back spacing. Does that sound right? Thanks. Do you have any pictures of your ride?

YUP, mine is a "Long-Smooth-Door-Body" with a "Sport Deck". So now they changed their minds? Oh well, long as it works. I have a few pictures, but my body is not mounted yet, I keep packin it back and forth, someday I gotta drill the hole in the frame and weld in some threads.... LOL. "BH"
I'll see what I can find for body pics. My tires are kinda narrow , I'm using BFG 285X15 with 10" wide steel wheels....So I have about 1 1/2" clearence on each side of the inside of the tires.

With the mavrick rear, 15x10's and 16.5 wide Hoosiers. :cool:

ArtinthePark54005.jpg

Seems that the cheapest and more modern way to go with these are the 2wd S10 rear ends. I have a buddy with a 31 Chevy 5 window coupe and he runs one under his. It is perfect width and takes the power that he puts on it. He said that for the T buckets and early 30's coupe or any vehicle of that width, the S10 rear is perfect for them.

Actually no you are not, I know a few people that run a 56 and 57. I actually have a 57 Chevy rear end under the house that was going to go under my 48 Chevy coupe but decided not to go that way and just keep the rear end stored. If I do not use my 9" because of it's width I may just use the 57 rear end with what I am guessing is around 3.73 gears.

I ran them on the first 3 cars I built. Then found out about the '57 to '59 Ford 9". They were cheaper at the yards around here believe it or not. By the time other folks discovered the 9"ers, the Mavricks started showing up. Looks like the S-10 is the next one in line. Personally, I like a smooth housing on the back of a fenderless car. The S-10 looks a little busy for my taste. But that's just me.

Ron

Well I have a 9" housing and then a full 57 Chevy rear end. A few people told me the 57 is not worth anything and it wont take any power and then a few said they could get a couple hundred from a 57 and they WILL take the power... Who to believe? I am the same way I am picky about the housing and it being plain and clean looking. I'd love to have a quick change rear end.

I donno, when I was into kiddy cars I really abused my '55 and didn't have any problems with the rear end.

Ron

Shawn F. said:
...A few people told me the 57 is not worth anything and it wont take any power and then a few said they could get a couple hundred from a 57 and they WILL take the power...

I know my Chevy rear end will take everything I've thrown at it just fine, but a ford 9 inch is definitely stronger and is better suited for High Horsepower applications, particularly in heavier cars that might hook up better...

What ratio do you have in the rear Lumen Al?

Question.
Don't your tires skuff when you turn with a true posi?And a locker wont work cause there's not enough weight to make the clutch's slip.This is acording to people at Reider Gear

I have an Eaton 4:10 posi unit in my '96 S-10 2WD rear that I installed in my T and am very pleased with it. I have experienced absolutely NO scuffing of the tires even on the tightest turns.

Okay there are a couple different 4WD s-10 rearends out there.

The standard 4wd is usually a 7.5 rearend.

The ZR2 model 4wd comes with an 8.5/8.6 - 3.73 is standard and limited slip is standard.

I have one of these trucks running 33 mud tires and the rear end holds up to whatever I throw at it. Though I have heard the g80 limited slip can be a weak point. I just measured mine in the truck and its 56.25 backing to backing. Mine is a 95 with drums on the back I believe 97 and up are discs.

You can usually find these for a fair price.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back