Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How wide is your rear end?

Rick said:
Question.
Don't your tires skuff when you turn with a true posi?And a locker wont work cause there's not enough weight to make the clutch's slip.This is acording to people at Reider Gear

No tire scuff at all... only thing that ever happens is when I'm doing a long stretch of freeway driving... when I take an exit and make a tight turn, I get a slight clunk as the posi-traction disengages (slips)... and that it till next time I do another long stretch on a freeway...

I want to use an 3/4 mopar. I plan a bobtail (tankrear) and want something centered and smooooth. any Ideas?
Mike in ep

I have a Chevy 10 bolt from a Blazer for mine.

For those looking for the 8" or 9" look, but on a budget, look into Toyota axles. You can get them in widths of 55", 56.5" 57" and 60", and they are about $100 at you-pull yards. They're pretty much bulletproof too. If you find one from an automatic it will have 3.73 gears.

Also, some of the V6 axles came with factory lockers. And the 4WD Tacomas came with electric lockers.

tfeverfred said:
I'm using a S-10 Chevy rear. Spirit uses them also. They are cheap as all get out and everywhere. I wanted a 8" Ford and the ONLY one I could find in my area was at a Mustang shop and they wanted $475 with no guarantee on condition!:eek: The guy on the phone said that price like he was doing me a favor.
wow i have a 8 inch ford i gave 175 for it and its a posi 373 gears ill take 175 if anybody interested i went with a 10 bolt out of a 72 nova instead.:cool:

I'm using a rear out of my 75 C10 full size Pickup. It has 3.73's and with the motor and tranny combo I built it does real good. So now I'll part out the truck and use the drive train on the T.

mine is 6 foot 10 inches wide with n50 x 15 tyres and a stock width S-Type jag irs i think the axle is 58 inches if i remember rightly, not ideal on our tiny roads but who gives a sh*t
Russ

supernats08025-copy.jpg

How often do you say that to a guy Al? :rock:

But that is one sweet looking ride.

My rearend is out of an old Ford Bronco, the 66-77 ones. The width from axle to axle about 58 1/2" though the orginal Bronco was 58". I replaced the axles with aftermarket ones because I wanted to have disc brakes in the back. The offset for the stock Bronco was too little short at 2 1/4" so when I ungraded the axles I went to 2 1/2" spacing. The Bronco rearends are stronger than the early Mustang rearends but not as much as the full size trucks. But then it did not need to be shortened either. I'm running a tall 3.0 to 1 posi third member. I have a 3.5 to 1 with a mini spool if I want to go crazy.

One has a 62 ford 9 " , one a 46 olds with stock 4.56 gears amd a finn alum rear cover and the other one a big lincoln 9 3/8 with disc

149-rear-end-finallly-complete-coil-overs-four-link.jpg

I used an 8.8 on my car. it was wide but i was able to put the coilovers out further which i was happy about.

58 1/2. A lot of width variation can be compensated for by wheel back spacing. Team 111 says any backspace deeper than 5 inches can cause interferance with disc brake calipers.

CEEC

I will be using 15x 4 1/2 steel wheels front and 15 x 6 steel in the back. 4 1/2 inch backspace on rear drums. Does that help.?

Last time I bought eight 9 inch Ford rear ends from the wrecking yard for $20 each, and every one of them was a different width. At least used on a T Bucket, it really does not matter what the width is, just buy the wheels to make it the width what you want or need.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back