Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Howdy

Bad Bob

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I must say this site isn't as user friendly as I had hoped...

My first attempt at acquiring a T-bucket from a private party fell through, so I thought "Hey... why not try one of the local dealers? They always have nice cars..."
So I sent in my information for financing and waddaya know, they called back.
Long story short, I was told that the vehicle in question has been sitting for two years due to the death of the owner and the family's reluctance to part with it.
It's been neglected and appears to have been sitting in a garage for quite some time, but I can see it's potential, so I made an offer, which was accepted.

In my ignorance, I thought I was home free.
Wrong.
Turns out the title was from 1999 and had been listed as a "project vehicle", which meant that before a "constructed" title could be issued, it had to go through a Level III inspection, complete with emissions.
(I live in Arizona, where the titling process is NOT friendly to hot rodders.
SEMA came here and tried to make it right, but got their ass kicked by a bad referendum and ignorant voters, so we STILL have to go through this crap just to own a hand built vehicle.)
After passing emissions (1964 or so Chrysler 361) the T failed the inspection because the tailpipes do not extend to the end of the vehicle.
Now the family who owns it has to connect some pipes to the 3-bolt header ends and take it back for a re-inspection.

They say "Good things come to those who wait".
It's probably the last car I will ever buy, so I'm staying very zen about it.

I've already learned a bunch from this site, so I thought I might as well join in the fray...

Your attitude will go a long way to helping you acquire and enjoy one of these little cars. They are an absolute gas to drive, so the wait will be worth it!

PS - I have some buckethead friends who also live in AZ, and I will ask them if there are any tricks to titling a T-bucket.

At your age, patience will be a virtue. Don't give up even if it won't pass inspection now, there will be a way to do it.

I have only registered new construction T-buckets in California and Arizona but although CA wasn't difficult, AZ was even easier. Maybe taking a 2 inch high stack of receipts helped.

Thanks to all...
It took me a day to find the "introductions" tab...
Went today and put the down payment on my new T (the one in the avatar).
She's a "rat rod" at present, but I'm aiming to change that... the price was right and I love a challenge.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back