Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

i saw this shock mount at a car show

rooster57

I see a lot of posts about shocks . I saw this front shock mount at a car show last week and thought some of you might would like to see a different idea. I took the pics with the I phone i hope you can see them. The shock upper mount was a stainless rod threaded the bent to the height and shape. welded to a plate and he welded it to the frame but it could be bolted. The lower mount was a plate using the spring pivot bolt and he drilled another to keep the bracket at 90 deg to the shock. These look like a very easy fab with very minimal welding for the guys who dont weld so much.

I see a lot of posts about shocks . I saw this front shock mount at a car show last week and thought some of you might would like to see a different idea. I took the pics with the I phone i hope you can see them. The shock upper mount was a stainless rod threaded the bent to the height and shape. welded to a plate and he welded it to the frame but it could be bolted. The lower mount was a plate using the spring pivot bolt and he drilled another to keep the bracket at 90 deg to the shock. These look like a very easy fab with very minimal welding for the guys who dont weld so much.

I actually don't like it for several reasons.
first is that it places the lower shock attaching point so far away from the axle that it has a lot of leverage over the axle. extra stress on all components involved.
second reason is that it's bolted on to the spring hanger bolt. that bolt is so critical that I feel it should never have anything besides the spring hanger attached to it.

All IMHO of course,

Russ

If you like it or dislike it isnt the reason for posting it . Some guys have built their cars and want to convert from friction to hydraulic. These guys have their cars painted and need the least intrusive solution they can find to add hydraulic shocks. IE no welding.

Russ' points are valid however that mount could have been moved forward a couple of inches and a shackle mount could have been used. That is an F-1 shock mount that has been trimmed down for this application. They are available from Speedway. They come in 6 1/2" and 5 1/2" lengths. they are forged so if you heat and reshape you could get a lot of different positions.

Ron

I myself would never hook the shocks up to the shackles, like Russ says, already enough strain on that spring hanger bracket... But, being 6 0r 7 inches behind the axle, does not hurt a thing and it has to travel less than the axle which works great on a light T roadster... I run mine on the bottom, even behind the spring, also helps give a softer ride... as far as the top shock mount, if the two sides were connected together with a bar (like a light bar) the shock mounts would be a ton stronger, as I found that flexing in that area, gives up in time/miles, if you plan to drive your car that is... More than just to car shows... :foottap:

True those pic's show they could use a little design improvement,but most likely work fine. I don't think there is much strain added to axle flang in this case though.
The alinement of eye is off at bottom of shock,so that's not good and dose look like arm of top mount could use more bracing as stated.
Thanks for posting,love to see ideas.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back