Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ignition tip

railroad

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Had a guy and his dad come over to see The Purple T and a Falcon I have for sell. They wanted to hear the pipes on the T. I had just put in a new power valve and adjusted to carb to a T, ha ha. I cracked the throttle and hit the key waited for the instant roar to life. I cranked and cranked, finally letting up, with the assumption I had move the throttle too much and flooded the engine. I told the guys we could look at the cars and it should start after sitting.
When I tried starting it later, it finally caught, but something was not right.
I started checking and found the previous owner had the fuel pump on the coil side of the coil resister. He also has the fan wired straight, no thermostat, comes on with the key. I started cutting and putting in some new wiring with the coil on a dedicated wire. Boy, did the starting get good. I was really doing some good on this rework project.
I was telling my brother about my latest corrective action on the beast, when he noticed I had a 4 post starter solenoid. He said, if you'll run a wire from the second small post to the coil side of the resister, you'll have 12 volts to the coil while starting and when you let off the key, the coil will be feed by the resister.
Now you can walk by the car and hit the key and it will fire before you can get off the key.
It started good before, but this is unbelievable.
The distributor is a Mallory Unilite and the coil is one of those big sand colored Accel I think. If anyone is still running this kind of stuff, it really wakes up the starting.

Accel SUPER COIL. I had one of those big uglies on my camaro. It worked great, now accel makes junk apparently. I switched my big ugly for a Pertronix oem-style coil, car ran just fine with it and underhood looked a lot cleaner

Glad youre un-engineering a lot of the previous owners err eccentric behavior. Sometimes its a wonder used cars even run LOL

I think a chrome or painted beer can coil would look better than the UFO bakelite one.

I may slide a Budweiser can over an old Ford coil and see how it looks.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back