Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Insani-T Coupe Build

op4wd1

OK here goes I got this 1925 Model T Doctor's Coupe from Montana. Body is very solid only rust through was around the rear fender irons.
I've had the car since 2006 been doing a little from time to time but now I going to try to focus and stay on the build.
My nick name with my friends is Doc Brown because of all the wacky out of the box things I come up with. The build and the name of the car is Insani-T.
I have stripped the flash rust that was on the body by soaking the body panels in vinegar then washing them down with my power washer. It would take from two to three days for the vinegar to loosen the rust up. (Buddy of mine calls it pickled steel)
I am widening the body 4 inches and making it 5 inches longer. I'm adding the 5 inches in the doors. The body frame work support was all wood which most of it has dry rotted after its 80+ years of life. I'm replaced all the wood with steel trying to make the pieces the same shape as the wood was. It will get a 6 inch chop in the front and a 4 inch chop on the rear . Going to do about a 3 inch channel over the frame. So bear with me with the build this is my first rod I've built done plenty of muscle cars in the past.

23-25 coupe.jpg Car in Montana

101_0167.JPG
Taking 80+ year old T apart to be reborn.
I have been working on the car from Time to Time made what I feel a lot of progress in 2012-13.
I will make more post through out what I have done so you can see it as I did it one step at a time
I try to get you guys caught up to present day.

Doc Brown

Dec. 26th 2012
Got pass side quarter window chopped and welded in place. Started this morning on drivers side. quarter window chop ps.JPG
1-26-2013Back window panel.JPG
Well be working on the car when I can. Got aluminum belt line trim widen and studs in trim install. Welded belt line back together after adding 3.5 inch piece then welded over all 34 studs in belt line trim piece. Got the rear window panel welded in and filler strips welded in for the widening process. Got new rear trunk/tail light panel bent up at my friend Bill's race car shop. THANKS Bill for use of your shear and brake. Also got the new trunk lid bars bent for redesign trunk lid that I'm making.
Hopefully I can get tail light holes cut and the opening reinforcing pieces welded in and the panel welded to the body this week end.
More to come!
Doc Brown

30 dash.jpg 1/26/2013

The reason I decided to widen the car is because of the dash I going to use. I have know idea what it is from but it is made from cast aluminum. Here a pic of it.

3/22/2013

Pics of Body frame work made of 3/4" sq. tube.

Attachments

• 101_0700.JPG
    101_0700.JPG
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 43
very cool dash. And making the car wider will be great. I have a 26 and while it has lots of head room, hip room is limited.

Body frame work skeleton.
101_0713.JPG
101_0714.JPG

With sheet metal.
101_0710.JPG
101_0728.JPG
101_0729.JPG
Will have a 29 Model A Vicky windshield frame. Pics of that and new Tail light panel next.
Do change that channel!

That inner frame work looks very skillfully done. This build is showing your talents very well.

Jim

Here is the pic of the windshield cowl modifications. The original T windshield opening is just a rectangle opening as seen on the passenger side. On the right is how I reshaped the cowl to follow the arch contour of the Model A windshield frame.
I had to modify the Aluminum frame of the Model A because it tapers from top to bottom. With the side windshield post on the T being straight up and down I disassembled the brand new Model A windshield frame changed the angle cuts and narrowed the bottom arch so the sides were vertical instead of angled. After a many hours of work I got it right. I then took it to my friend Bill that has a Race Car Chassis shop and had him Tig weld it back together. Now you are starting to see why my friends call me Doc Brown! Also in this pic you can see the sheet metal windshield post at the stock height. They got chopped 6 inches where they are now even with the top of the windshield header. The Model A windshield is just under 12 inched of glass area can you imagine the original T had about 18 inched of road viewing area.

Doc Brown

T-cowl-web.jpg

That is quite an undertaking but your work is excellent.

Jim

I came in late but wow what a great build to follow! I love the craftsmanship!!

Nice work somebody has access to metal fab equipment.Also knows how to use it. NICE JOB.

Since it is finally starting to warm up a little where I can get out and spend a few hours out in the shop.
I'm in the stages of mocking up the chassis, going to have a triangulated 4 link on the rear.
I had a regular 4 bar kit and I decided to make it into the triangulated set-up.
In doing this I needed to have the upper tabs that attach to the rear housing & the upper brackets that attach to the frame. I decided to make the brackets/tabs myself since it was going to cost more in shipping that the 4 upper tabs would cost.
Here is what I came up with; two of the tabs I will have to shorten after I know where they will set on the housing. Chassis bracket may need the angle changed slightly but will see on mock up.
Joe
101_0808_zpse572c312.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back