Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Installing front axle

Johnny

When installing the front axle should I use Grade 5 or Grade 8 bolts? Also, on the heim joint attaching to frame do I use washers on both sides of the bearing?

Thanks

I have been around racecars for 20 years and am of the belief that there is no bad time to use a grade 8. Regarding the Heim, we never used but on a street car a larger size washer could act as a saftey if the heim ball came out of the housing

Here is what is accepted by the NSRA in there Safety 23 Inspection.

img041-1.jpg

Always use a washer that is large enough to keep the heim joint connected in case of failure.

Jim

Here is what is accepted by the NSRA in there Safety 23 Inspection.

img041-1.jpg

Always use a washer that is large enough to keep the heim joint connected in case of failure.

Jim

Jim are spacers still considered necessary if they are used in a double shear set up (each Hiem inbetween their own pair of batwings) and the 4 links parallel to frame, no angles? I hope so because we have already welded all 4 batwings on.

Lee

Jim are spacers still considered necessary if they are used in a double shear set up (each Hiem inbetween their own pair of batwings) and the 4 links parallel to frame, no angles? I hope so because we have already welded all 4 batwings on.

Lee

I would not think so because there should not be any lateral movement in your set up. The spacers are to allow lateral movement of the heim.

Jim

Okay, another rookie question. Is this a good starting point. On the heim ends should it be 1&5/8 in. from end of rod to center of heim? On the clevis ends, 2&7/8 in from rod to center of clevis?

Thanks

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back