Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Is it or is not

ram rod2

Ron
Is your "you weld it frame kit" 100% weld ready(except for cleaning and beveling) or is their some fab work that needs to be done on the front cross member?

All of the angles are cut, you can finish the front out several different ways, so we leave that to you. Something to keep in mind the perimeter frame is only one small part to make up an entire T Bucket. There is a lot of fab work that needs to be done after the frame is done.

There is so much welding after that and it takes a lot of time to make sure everything is square and matches the other side of the frame. IMO it is so cheap to buy a completed frame that it is not worth the time or effort to buy a build your own kit.

Yes I know your right!(been their done that) But you wont have the satisifaction of saying you did it all yourself! And welding is my thing.
Got a real good price today on the tubing(1.5 x 3 x 1/4 24 feet) and pipe (2.5 i.d. sch.80 26")for the frame at a local machine shop($100.00) my son does all his I.T. work on his computers. I have shopped around and no one can even come close localy.
So I have not made up my mind yet how I will go. totaly raw or kit? I have all the brackets fabed up and motor and rear end ready to go! all i need now it the frame and body. I will no dought go with Rons body!!

Yes I know your right!(been their done that) But you wont have the satisifaction of saying you did it all yourself! And welding is my thing.
Got a real good price today on the tubing(1.5 x 3 x 1/4 24 feet) and pipe (2.5 i.d. sch.80 26")for the frame at a local machine shop($100.00) my son does all his I.T. work on his computers. I have shopped around and no one can even come close localy.
So I have not made up my mind yet how I will go. totaly raw or kit? I have all the brackets fabed up and motor and rear end ready to go! all i need now it the frame and body. I will no dought go with Rons body!!

1/4" is thick wall stuff. Great except the weight factor.

Reactions: RPM
Yes its a little thicker than the norm.
3 x 2 x 3/16 is 5.59 lbs per foot verses 1.5 x 3 x 1/4 at 7.11 lbs per foot. Thats a difference of 1.52 per foot ,times 24 feet
comes out to a little over 36 pounds heaver. I may be wrong but I am not going to get to excited over 36 lbs. on a 2200 pound street car. If I were building it for the drag strip it wood be a different story. hp to weight ratio will be around 3.38 pounds per 1 hp.

1/4" is thick wall stuff. Great except the weight factor.
If I had it to do over, I would go with 1/4" wall stock. I think the extra weight would help with the ride, and since I drilled and tapped my frame numerous times for mounting stuff, I would be more confident in the threads in the frame rails (although I have not had any strip-outs in my .188 frame).

If I had it to do over, I would go with 1/4" wall stock. I think the extra weight would help with the ride, and since I drilled and tapped my frame numerous times for mounting stuff, I would be more confident in the threads in the frame rails (although I have not had any strip-outs in my .188 frame).

I use self threading bolts to mount things on my cars. Total Performance recommended them. I buy mine from Fastenal in bags of 100. Never had any problems installing or removing since the early '80s.

My TP bucket had them and I am not a big fan. The material is so thin there is only a couple threads holding. I guess it is one of those things that seems to work even though I think it should be better. lol

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back