Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Lokar neutral switch

rooster57

Have any of you had trouble adjusting the Lokar NSS. I can get it to lock out rev and drive but not low2 and low. PITA but nessessery for safety. I followed the instructions but the detail is vague for liability reasons i would bet.

I have been wrestling with that lilsumbitch for three years!!! You can fool some of the gears all of the time, or you can fool all of the gears some of the time, but you can't fool all of the gears all of the time.

I emailed Lokar tech support with a link to this thread.

I have had problems too, and still do. I called them and they told me to use the little thingie that came with the shifter to adjust the NSS. Still doesn't work all the time and will startle you sometimes by starting in gear and jumping 5 feet before you get it stopped. :eek: I also have a problem with it dropping down into 2nd gear if I am on the interstate and hit a bump like a bridge riser in the pavement...........that also will get your attention! :eek: I have got to get in there and play with both issues before it causes me any problems.

I think I might go to a Gennie shifter in the new rod I am putting together, I hear good things about them.

Don

So-Cal had a great selection of gennie shifters. I may try to mount a switch on the trans arm or maybe gennie will give me a good tradein on my Lokar.

I don't know what the problem is with your switch Rooster and Don. You had me wondering about mine so I went to the garage and checked mine and it worked perfectly. It will only start in park and neutral. Maybe I just got lucky with mine.

In my other car, the '37, I have a Gennie unit and I am very pleased with its operation also.

Jim

I have the same problem with 1st to 2nd moving if i hit a bump but i have a big scull on mine.I know this is a dumb question but i'll ask anyway lokar includes instructions on how to set the neutral switch did you read that?:hide:Mine works fine.

I read um but it doesnt seem work quite right i just need to spend some time with it and get it right.

With mine i found that if you bolted the bracket to the trans tight then installed the shifter unit it would not work.Loosen the bolts that hold the bracket to the trans and let it relaxe(find its own center)then snug the bolts side to side.

I think thats the solution rick i will try that this weekend.

Like they say, "when all else fails, read the instructions."

Jim

Stock GM floor shifters work great, also the NSS switch is perfect. just bolt them to your floor board, not the trans... I have great luck with these. :D I can click it in gear with my leg. as I always sit at a light out of gear... Just me here...

I got mine to work correctly by following their directions with the dummy switch and loosening / tightening the sliding bracket - but here's the thing- you need to mess with the threaded rod that connects the Lokar lever to the trans lever (up front). I've found that as little as one or two turns of the rod-effectively lengthening or shortening it- can make a big difference in how it "sees" a gear.By doing this and using a test light on the two contacts at the switch I was able to dial it in. Lokar tech suggested this to me. Hope this helps someone- keep dinkin' wit it !

Neutral Safety Switch

I dont know a thing about how these work but, I learned the hard way. I was at a car dealership I sell to. couldn't get my Bucket to start, Using my remote jump starter switch,with my knees on the ground jumped my starter, it started but was in gear, well I thought it was just rolling in neutral but it was in gear, Duh I tried to get up, as well as hold it and just dragged me on my knees till I was smart enough to let go. after I got up it was on its way through the parking lot and about to hit a wall. Thank god the parts manager managed to reach in and push the brake. I had to change my pants after that ordeal. Scraped up knees, Well I'm about to replace my hurst shifter pro shift 2 with something? any recommendations. The neutral switch will not allow me to start the car without putting preassure to the right against the switch, and the switch alone it $45.00. Sloppy wiggle shifter anyway so I might as well get a new on.

Re: Neutral Safety Switch

harleydude said:
I dont know a thing about how these work but, I learned the hard way. I was at a car dealership I sell to. couldn't get my Bucket to start, Using my remote jump starter switch,with my knees on the ground jumped my starter, it started but was in gear, well I thought it was just rolling in neutral but it was in gear, Duh I tried to get up, as well as hold it and just dragged me on my knees till I was smart enough to let go. after I got up it was on its way through the parking lot and about to hit a wall. Thank god the parts manager managed to reach in and push the brake. I had to change my pants after that ordeal. Scraped up knees, Well I'm about to replace my hurst shifter pro shift 2 with something? any recommendations. The neutral switch will not allow me to start the car without putting preassure to the right against the switch, and the switch alone it $45.00. Sloppy wiggle shifter anyway so I might as well get a new on.
Your lucky dude i did it with mine last year and it ran up my leg and drove with my leg under the rear slick then hit my work bench after i reached in and shut it off it rolled back enough for me to get out from under it i could not walk for several weeks i went to the hospital and it was a seveeeeeeeer sprain/strain.

I am not real happy with our Lokar either. It's hard to tell what gear you found, and I worked for several hours tring to find why the starter would not engage, and it was the Nuetral switch. I removed the washers behind the switch, made adjustments the the linkage with the shifter loose, and it works. But it could have been made a lot simpler....

Pete your 27 looks very nice i like the duel carbs.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back