Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Painting My Speed Demon Carburetor

Indycars

Decided that my carb was looking a little rough and it needed to be painted. Eastwood has several
paints for carburetors, but I decided to use the Por-15 Detail Paint. Except for the body and that
was painted with Krylon. Both paints had the better nozzles that shot a fan shape pattern instead
of the usual cone shape.

https://www.eastwood.com/paints/underhood-paints.html

As I started disassembling the carb it became very apparent that I would need a kit because the
gaskets were dried up and were being destroyed when the pieces came apart. I have always kept
bowl and metering plate gaskets on hand, but not the base-to-body gasket. I purchased the carb
in December 2012, so it's 8 years old now and time for a rebuild anyway.
FP01_PaintCarburetor_01887.jpg
FP01_PaintCarburetor_01892.jpg

No doubt I will need a complete set of gaskets to put this carb back together.

FP01_PaintCarburetor_01898.jpg

I used Chem-Dip carburetor cleaner and soaked the bowls and metering blocks over night. For
some reason the blocks were fine, but the bowls were effected negatively by the Chem-Dip. It left
a coating on the surface and you could not just wipe off, I had to use Scotch-Brite (Red) to remove
this film.

In the photo below you can see where I could not get the float bowl complete submerged in the
Chem-Dip. The photo is also after cleaning with Scotch-Brite. There was no room for the body, so
that was soaked in PSC 1000 solvent.

You probably can't tell, but I went around the carb removing any sharp edges, paint just will not stay
on a sharp edges with the slightest bump from anything.

FP01_PaintCarburetor_01903.jpg

There were lots of holes and surfaces to tape off or add an extra screw to keep paint out. For this
reason I decided NOT to paint the base plate and metering block. Besides they had a different
finish from Demon that has held up better than the rest of the carb.

FP01_PaintCarburetor_01911.jpg
FP01_PaintCarburetor_01913.jpg
FP01_PaintCarburetor_01919.jpg

Much nicer finish now, but only time will tell if it holds up any better than the
original finish.

FP01_PaintCarburetor_01922.jpg

I'm going to wait a day or two and let the paint cure before I re-assemble the carb.

I found this on the Berryman's website, which explains what happened to my carb.
Soaked Carburetor too long? | Berryman Products

I soaked my disassembled carb in this product for nearly a week. Oops. Now the carb is very dark grey but does not appear etched. What happened to the carb?

Question Tags: carburetor|soaked too long
1 Answers
0 Vote Up Vote Down
chemtooler Staff answered 5 years ago
Berryman Chem-Dip Carburetor and Parts Cleaner (part #0996) is safe on for use on plastic, rubber, and most paints and metals, but it can react with some grades of aluminum and aluminum alloys. For that reason, we recommend on the container that soak times be limited to 15-30 minutes per dip with a total soak time not to exceed 4 hours for aluminum and aluminum-based parts, which is what your carburetor is made of. The darkening you see is caused by the surface formation of aluminum hydroxide and/or aluminum oxide (reaction products from extended soaking). Typically, the carburetor simply looks different but will still continue to function normally.

That's what I call a STROKE and a ZINGER !

Build me up, just to let me down! :p

I love my Road Demon, Indy, so I'm paying attention. So far my carb is holding up pretty well, but . . . time will tell. :rolleyes:

Power train1.jpg

That cast aluminum color is nice. I can see using that on lots of stuff.

I'll surely have to do something eventually to dress up the Plain-Jane carb on my crate motor:

Well . . . I know tastes differ, but personally, I think your setup looks bitchin'! :thumbsup: A nice little air cleaner of some sort (maybe a boat-style 'flame arrester'?)so you don't hide that brutish dominator of a carb and manifold - looks great to me! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-4_9-0-26.png
    upload_2020-3-4_9-0-26.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 20
  • upload_2020-3-4_9-1-55.png
    upload_2020-3-4_9-1-55.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 19
I put Por 15 Blackcote on my Demon 98 carbs. If you happen to spill gasoline on them they just laugh at it.

After two days for the paint to cure, I started the re-assembly of the Demon Carb.

First was to put some wax on the painted surfaces, there will be NO easier time to do this
than now.

FP01_DemonCarbCarnaubaWax_01925.jpg

I noticed that the new accelerator pump diaphragm was holding the float up where it could
not fully open the needle and seat to fill the bowl during hard acceleration.

FP01_DemonCarbFloatBowlObstruction_01928.jpg

It was an easy fix, just clip the extension off ..... problem gone.

FP01_DemonCarbFloatBowlObstruction_01929.jpg

Since I will be installing new headers, the engine will need a new tune. I will most likely have
the float bowls off and on several times this summer. I have an AEM AQ-1 for data acquisition
that will really help getting the tune correct. It can record 8 channels at 1000 times per second.
AQ-1 Data Logger

FP01_DemonCarbGasketSoakOil_01926.jpg

AQ1_ProgrammingSetup.jpg
FP01_AQ1InstalledAndWired_6160.jpg

Watch those mineral oil soaked rags! I refinished some Chestnut trim and came close to having a fire because I neglected to properly care for the rags. I just toss em in the burn barrel now, expedite the inevitable, lol.

Before completing the project, during assembly there were a couple of things to do. One
was using Anti-Seize on all the threads and getting the squirters square so the fuel enters
the venturi at the same location.

FP02_ThreadAntiSeize_01934.jpg
FP02_SquirterAdjustedSquare_01960.jpg

Carburetor is complete and ready for installation back onto the engine.

FP02_PaintedDemonCarburetor_01947.jpg
FP02_PaintedDemonCarburetor_01951.jpg

Thanks Kevinrevin for the great comment !

Wanted to update this thread with my findings.

I am surprised that the POR15 Detail Paint didn't work when subjected to fuel. When I set
the float level that means you are going to get some fuel on the top of the float bowl. Within 20
seconds I tried to blot the fuel up in a rag and the paint was already soft and sticky. The Por15
has been drying for 2-3 weeks so that's not the problem.

Hopefully the black Krylon that's on the carburetor body is OK, it was painted with the Krylon
Rust Tuff Enamel. The other silver parts should be easy to remove and paint again with
something else. Might try the Eastwood carburetor paints.

FP01_PaintCarburetor_01919.jpg

I thought the Por15 would have worked.
They recommend that to seal gas tanks. I sealed my gas tank with that. No problems after a number of years. Maybe they make different Por15 products.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back