Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Low Budget Roadster Build-up

Leon, I did not make it to work today to ask my friend about his scanner and I will not make it to work tomorrow. I have to have both of my knees replaced and I hurt one of them last night. As luck would have it my orthopedic surgeon was off for 2 weeks and today is his 1st day back at work and they could not work me in until tomorrow, so it will be Wednesday at the earliest before I will be back at work.
Ron

40ford said:
Leon, I did not make it to work today to ask my friend about his scanner and I will not make it to work tomorrow. I have to have both of my knees replaced and I hurt one of them last night. As luck would have it my orthopedic surgeon was off for 2 weeks and today is his 1st day back at work and they could not work me in until tomorrow, so it will be Wednesday at the earliest before I will be back at work.
Ron

I can really relate to having those knees replaced. I had both of mine done at the same time about a year and half ago. It gets a lot better.
When did you have yours done?

Have not had them replaced yet. I was ready to have the left one replaced in December, but my doctor said both were bad enough to be replaced now and he was going to replace both of them at the same time. He wanted to know if I could wait until I turned 60 in February, so I said I would try. I have an appointment tomorrow and I think it is time to discuss setting the date for the replacement operation.

40ford said:
Have not had them replaced yet. I was ready to have the left one replaced in December, but my doctor said both were bad enough to be replaced now and he was going to replace both of them at the same time. He wanted to know if I could wait until I turned 60 in February, so I said I would try. I have an appointment tomorrow and I think it is time to discuss setting the date for the replacement operation.
will you guys be quiet about the knee replacement thing :)My doctors are already talking to me about it and I'm not 55 until next month!Rumitoid Arthritis, Osteo Arthritis and degenerative joint disease in both knees and both hips!And now you know why I changed to a 27 body WITH doors mid stride building the beginnings of a 23 without.No rush on the articles get yourself better first.

Youngster said:
...i have one that was a series in pop hot rodding by jim kirby that has served as my bible. if anyone would be willing to put it in a pdf, i could send a copy to you.

Ron

Ron,

I send you an email with my address awhile back offering to convert the Jim Kirby series into PDF files and make them available to anyone that wanted one... If you've sent them, I've not received them as of yet. :eek:

I made it to work for one day but missed my friend as he was out in the field. I will see him next week and see if I can get the articles copied and sent to everyone who wants it. I will post my outcome next week.
Ron

Ron -- I just got a new scanner last week and I can convert the to PDF.

Steve, Just put me on the automatic list for any articles you do. Thanks

I honestly believe a T could be built for around $5,000.00!!! Donor cars are still available super cheap and complete bodies can be had by MAS or Unlimited Products for $600.00. Particularly if the builder possessed the skills, abilities and most of the tools and equipment needed (less materials i.e. raw steel, ETC.) to fabricate and create most everything.

It's been tried MANY times but they almost always run over budget for one reason or another. Most often you want to make it "just a little nicer" by adding this or that and before you know it........BUSTED!!! I bought a car that was "running-driving 3 years ago" for $3500.00. With that start I don't think I can break $5k, but I'll let you know.

Todd said:
Steve, Just put me on the automatic list for any articles you do. Thanks

PM me with your email address and I'll put it into my address book.

I would NEVER pay $3500.00 for a donor car. My local scrap yard sells complete running 305s and 350s for $500.00, a complete diff with drums and brakes $200.00, tilt steer column (no key's) $50, T-350 trans for $200.00 and a 700r4 $400.00,

$1500 would get me started with an engine, trans, tilt steer column, differential with drums.

http://www.pickapartauto.com/

My "donor car" was an old Total Performance bucket. I could drive it as it is but I want to make it presentable as to not be embarrassed. This is what I meant by "making it nicer" as well as safer.

I understand that of course, A safe, reliable nice car should always be at the top of all our build lists, especially safety and reliability! I know a guy who lives up the road from me who built himself a rat rod. I do not have anything against rat rods, but his car has no floor, no trans tunnel, no seat belts, no E-brake, a half steering wheel and the un-safe list goes on as well as seeing his car being towed home on a regular basis. This same individual has invested an enormous amount of money building his vehicle and I know he has spent much more than what I have invested building my T Bucket, for some strange reason he revels and boasts of what he spends on his car. A low budget build in my opinion can be accomplished without sacrificing safety and reliability... nice does not need be more than a simple paint job.

Youngster said:
the article steve has offered is a good one. i have one that was a series in pop hot rodding by jim kirby that has served as my bible. if anyone would be willing to put it in a pdf, i could send a copy to you.

Ron
Jim is still alive and kickin in the Bakersfield area, close but out of town.. He builds some great parts... I would like to ck out that article as well, probably still have that mag somewhere.. by the way, if anyone is lookin for a certain old Hotrod plus others, mag, let me know, I have a ton... tedabrown@juno.com

youngster
what issues of pop rod were they? I have a large collection somewhere and reeeely want to read that series.
Mike in ep:think:

Jim Kirby's "Scratch Built Street Rod" articles can be found in the 1974 September, October, and December issues of Popular Hot Rodding.

In March of 1975, Popular Hot Rodding printed a sort of re-cap of the build thread as well. It even has a picture of Jim on the cover in his old fire suit:
recap.jpg

But the best thing to get is the first issue, volume one, of the "How to Build a Street Rod" published by Argus in 1975. That publication has all three issues of his build in one place (September, October, and December of 1974). It looks like this just in case you already have it:
howtobuild.jpg

It was this very car that inspired me to eventually work for Jim.

I hope that helped.

David

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back