Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Main rail length for a 23 T

has anyone ever spliced a frame rail to get more length ? and was it sucsessful?

Well....I haven't lengthened a TBuckets frame before....but lengthened (2) F-350 frames, shortened (1) Long wheelbase Dodge 3500 to a short wheelbase.... Lengthened (4) fuel altereds, (2) Econo-dragsters, (1)1500 Chevy that was wrecked....ground the welds loose on the front frame, broke the welds loose (used a 3" air tool with a slicer wheel)....slide another section into place and rewelded it.

I would think that, yes, you can do it if the techniques are right....however....there are certain guidelines that need to be held to....from a safety standpoint.

Put it like this....you gotta tack on alot of brackets and pieces parts to keep the twisting and springing under control....but I have a big chassis jig to mount this stuff on , I can weld rails down to it to keep things from getting outta control....hope this helps...

Mine is kinda like Rons @ RPM....made from 10" I-beam....

I got a frame laying outside the shop here that someone else stretched and is a good example of how not to do it.

Yea Ron....sometimes I think some of those Youngsters just try and get themselves hurt! This one kid I got working in the shop has this sand rail and he's gonna reweld the rear suspension bracket, the origional was cracking.....after he got thru, it'd looked like a cow backed up there and took a dump.... and I told him "No, Hell No, OH HELL NO!....that ain't how we do things like that around here!", So I spent the next hour lecturing him on safety while driving and racing and that stuff will get your butt killed if you try and patch stuff together, and then told him to redo it, as I'm looking over his shoulder....

Yea Ron, on the frame jig....I got those old metal wheels on it....I've got a ole 20 horse lawn tractor I pull the thing around with! Ha!

Yea Ron....sometimes I think some of those Youngsters just try and get themselves hurt! This one kid I got working in the shop has this sand rail and he's gonna reweld the rear suspension bracket, the origional was cracking.....after he got thru, it'd looked like a cow backed up there and took a dump.... and I told him "No, Hell No, OH HELL NO!....that ain't how we do things like that around here!", So I spent the next hour lecturing him on safety while driving and racing and that stuff will get your butt killed if you try and patch stuff together, and then told him to redo it, as I'm looking over his shoulder....

Yea Ron, on the frame jig....I got those old metal wheels on it....I've got a ole 20 horse lawn tractor I pull the thing around with! Ha!

LOL that is how I move mine with the Cub Cadet!

has anyone ever spliced a frame rail to get more length ? and was it sucsessful ?
I have added extra length to frames, and trailer axles, on the frame I cut it at 45 degrees, then I took a piece of the frame and cut it down to fit inside the main frame, I slide it in 4 inches and weld it solid then I slide the other part of the frame over the insert, and check that it is square measuring X wise from corner to corner then weld it solid. Leave a gap when sliding together to get good penetration, fill the gap, then you can grind weld smooth. I use 8 inch insert for strength, you could also drill holes in the the frame before putting in the insert and then weld through the holes into the insert and fill the holes with weld, doing 8 of these will make for a strong frame. The insert is cut into 4 parts and welded back together to fit inside the frame. Hope this helps.

We stretch Semi Truck frames all the time, however when it comes to a Hot Rod the tubing is just too cheap (less than 60 bucks a 20ft stick) vs. labor. I just made the main rails for my new build and they are 100" vs. the 88" on Yougsters plan to acomodate the blower dive and stretched body.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back