Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Mustang radiator Help

rooster57

would some of the guys who are running a mustang radiator with a chevy motor post some pics of the mounting and how it fills the front of the 23 grill shell. I am tring to decide if a 3 core from autozone or just order an aluminum one for a 23.

Thanks guys

wish I could help ya. My new camera and my old pooter just dont seem to agree with each other.
Im running a 65 stang radiator with a total perf frame. I had a glass radiator surround and I just couldnt make it look nice so I swapped it off and built one out of aluminum, much nicer. The setup seems to work pretty good, Ive never overheated, using a swapmeet general motors electric fan on a semi warmed up 350 chebbie..

Thanks for the info did u build the shell because the TP shell was to wide for the radiator???

Yup!
I could have made some brackets on the frame to hold the surround but decided not to cuz I still would have had to butcher the surround to fit anything I built to support the radiator.
Theres alot of critters here to, I wanted a bit more out front so I dont get left out on the road stranded after I hit a pheasant or some goofy thing. Just a bare radiator core out front wouldnt last 2 seasons.
I was originally going to use a MAS surround, probably not much different.

norseman said:
wish I could help ya. My new camera and my old pooter just dont seem to agree with each other.
Im running a 65 stang radiator with a total perf frame. I had a glass radiator surround and I just couldnt make it look nice so I swapped it off and built one out of aluminum, much nicer. The setup seems to work pretty good, Ive never overheated, using a swapmeet general motors electric fan on a semi warmed up 350 chebbie..

Norseman, can you show a pic of how you mounted the radiator or explain it? I may have to go that route.

Hey Fred! you werent in chat tonite...
I started by making 2 1/2 inch plates with 2 1/2 inch holes drilled and tapped for 1/2 inch bolts. Those were welded to the frame. To those I fastened 2 16 gauge bent angle plates that I had done the math to get the leg width right., the radiator is fastened to the two upright 16 gauge angles.
The biggest thing here was just getting the math right, splitting up the difference from side to side and getting the height and angle right. If it was easy to take apart and warm in the shop Id take it apart and take pictures for ya..

It fits perfect. I'll get you better pics but here is my dad's car. He had to make his own brackets to the frame but it's great and the car never gets hot. In fact I've forgotten to turn the fan on more than once while driving and haven't seen temps over 200 even on the hottest days.

oops, I guess it would help to add the pic.
tbucket4.jpg

Thanks guys. That gives me an idea of how it could work. Like a lot of things, when I get the radiator in hand and set it to the frame, I'll think of something. You've given me a leg up on the situation.

Thanks again.

norseman said:
Hey Fred! you werent in chat tonite...
I started by making 2 1/2 inch plates with 2 1/2 inch holes drilled and tapped for 1/2 inch bolts. Those were welded to the frame. To those I fastened 2 16 gauge bent angle plates that I had done the math to get the leg width right., the radiator is fastened to the two upright 16 gauge angles.
The biggest thing here was just getting the math right, splitting up the difference from side to side and getting the height and angle right. If it was easy to take apart and warm in the shop Id take it apart and take pictures for ya..

I swear I am not being an @$$, I am confused. Is it two 1/2 inch plates or is 2 1/2 in plates? I think the other is two 1/2 inch holes drilled and tapped. Just trying to make it clear.

Two 1/2" plates sounds about right. You're not being a butt, Todd, I reread it a few times myself.

lolol I thought about that when I was typing it too and was going to put a - in there but I didnt know if that would cornfuzing too. lol I shoulda typed it out like todd did! lolol Yup, two 1/2' plates around 2" wide with two 1/2" holes tapped into each of them which I ran some short 1/2 inch bolts in to hold the two angles upright. If you get really carried away you can slot those holes in the angles to adjust your angle of the angles....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back