Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My first T build.

I just picked up a th-350 transmission from Craigslist for $150.00. I was told it was rebuilt 10,000 miles ago and it has a higher stall converter but after the last thing I bought from Craigslist not being what I was told I am assuming that I merely have a rebuildable core. At least now I can finish mocking up the drive train after I finish the front suspension and steering.

I just picked up a th-350 transmission from Craigslist for $150.00. I was told it was rebuilt 10,000 miles ago and it has a higher stall converter but after the last thing I bought from Craigslist not being what I was told I am assuming that I merely have a rebuildable core. At least now I can finish mocking up the drive train after I finish the front suspension and steering.
I bought a 700R4 for $100.00. Been under water in may flood. Took it apart and rebuilding myself. Ordered a video and this is my first build. Might have 4 gears in reverse when done but im gonna try.

I bought a 700R4 for $100.00. Been under water in may flood. Took it apart and rebuilding myself. Ordered a video and this is my first build. Might have 4 gears in reverse when done but im gonna try.

Did that with a VW bus one time!! Four reverses and one forward. Tricky as hell to drive in reverse at 60 mph!! Last 700r4 I did had reverse only and no forward. BUMMER Valve in valvebody stuck.

I got the 700R4 and the GM 60V6 I'm using for $100 for both. They came out of a daily driver Camaro that the guy was swapping for a TPI V8. At the time I bought them I had no idea what I was going to do with them...I just knew I couldn't walk away from them. If they're shot, they'll be good for mocking up...and I'm going to have a lot of parts to peddle on ebay.

Did that with a VW bus one time!! Four reverses and one forward. Tricky as hell to drive in reverse at 60 mph!! Last 700r4 I did had reverse only and no forward. BUMMER Valve in valvebody stuck.

Ya gotta love VW buses. I had one that I was using as a beater that died about 4 blocks from home...I drove it home powered by the starter motor in short bursts with a bit of gravity assist.

Ya gotta love VW buses. I had one that I was using as a beater that died about 4 blocks from home...I drove it home powered by the starter motor in short bursts with a bit of gravity assist.[/QUOTE]

Surprised the battery last that long. They didn't have much reserve back then.

Ya gotta love VW buses. I had one that I was using as a beater that died about 4 blocks from home...I drove it home powered by the starter motor in short bursts with a bit of gravity assist.

Surprised the battery last that long. They didn't have much reserve back then.[/QUOTE]
That was the benefit of running an 8 volt aircraft battery in place of the weak 6 volters

Only a guy with military connections would know how to [requisition and acquisition] such things!! Lot of that going on in Vietnam.

Only a guy with military connections would know how to [requisition and acquisition] such things!! Lot of that going on in Vietnam.

My connections were with a shop that built tubs, buggies and Formula Vee cars...,they kept a supply of the 8 volt aircraft batteries around...and the Bosch adjustable regulators. When they moved and I started doing custom Beetles on my own I just went to the local airport.

My connections were with a shop that built tubs, buggies and Formula Vee cars...,they kept a supply of the 8 volt aircraft batteries around...and the Bosch adjustable regulators. When they moved and I started doing custom Beetles on my own I just went to the local airport.
Love them flat 4's. I use to have a v.w. shop. Them little engines could sure turn it out.

Love them flat 4's. I use to have a v.w. shop. Them little engines could sure turn it out.

Yeah, they were fun....until the supply of ones that were not rusted into oblivion or overpriced ran out

cheaper to build a T bucket now days.

I hope so....LOL

If it were not for my mobility limitations, I probably would have chosen to put a sport suspension/wheels/tires under a sand rail frame, for my return to gear-head-dom. I always wanted to do that .

My saind rails were hard to get in and out of, even with steering wheel removed. Bo duke that bad boy. Im gonna miss that rollcage. This T might have one before i quit.

My saind rails were hard to get in and out of, even with steering wheel removed. Bo duke that bad boy. Im gonna miss that rollcage. This T might have one before i quit.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my wife will end up insisting on some form of at least a roll bar...and "she who must be obeyed" usually gets her way...LOL

Only had a couple of hours to work on the car today. Made new shackles and got them installed.
20150419_164846.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's hard to see in the pic above, but the bat wings are not square to the axle. In order to keep the shackles from binding I ground the inside of the mounting hole face until it was square to the axle. Then I added material to the outside with my squirt gun and ground it smooth. Finally I redrilled the hole so the pivot would fit properly and there you have it. Problem solved and it looks like it should instead of rigged. Now I am trying to decide if I want to use pinto/mustangII shocks or go old school with friction shocks. Gonna have to think hard on that one.

Would've been alot easier to heat & bend the tabs on your batwings perpendicular to the axle...... I modified the pinto/mustang II shocks by cutting off the upper threaded portion & welding on "eyes" [peices of tubing] to accept standard shock bushings..... tried the friction shocks & wasn't able to come up w/ acceptable control......

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back