Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New guy from KC

CustomDave

Hey everyone, been lurking here for a few days. Finally joined up.

I currently dont own a T. Right now I have a 65 Plymouth Fury III 2 door hard top. Its been a fun car for the past three years, but it was never what I really wanted. I bought it on a whim while trying to find some sort of open wheel traditional style hot rod. After looking at a lot of junk that I didn't have the confidence to build its the only thing I felt confident that I could fix. I have it running good now, still needs some body work and a few other things. But I have just kinda gotten bored with it.

After sitting all weekend at a car show I decided that its time to let the Fury go to someone else, and get to building what I have always wanted. I have never built a car from the ground up, mostly just fixed what needed to be fixed on them. I was thinking that buying a chassis and body kit for my first try at this would be the way to go. I have a welder, but I don't know that I am good enough to weld one up by myself, so I would just prefer I get it from someone who knows what they are doing, and can give me the certificate of origin, or whatever it is called. Easier to title that way too.

Still in the initial stages of looking at kits that are available. I have a family to feed so I have to do this on a pretty tight budget. I also have a busted up 72 chevy with a good running 350 that I hope to pull and use when and if I do get a kit. Other than that just want to build a no frills, bare bones ride that I can have fun with. I want to keep it as traditional looking as possible. But I will be sourcing as many parts as possible from swap meets, and junk yards, so there will be some more modern stuff on it.

Getting really excited to start building what has been a dream car to me. But it will probably be a bit before I get to that stage. Got some stuff I want to finish up on the Fury before I sell it, to get a bit more money for it. Having a bigger budget is always a good thing. Until then I will be hanging around here and soaking up as much info as I can.

Any suggestions on what to look for and what I need to prepare for are always appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Welcome from Stillwater,OK. You have joined one of the best sites for T Buckets. You can build a T for a reasonable price and there is enough info here that will help you do that. I use to have a 65 Sport Fury as a teenager good cars to have. You can build your own frames and go from mild to wild here.

Welcome from the sunshine state, Florida! you'll love it here. Lots of great people. Don't think twice about asking questions, everyone will chime in to help you! good luck on the build.

Welcome from Northern Illinois CustomDave, I'd suggest you start by doing some window shopping on our sponsors websites.

Welcome Dave there is several f us tbucket guys in K.C. Lee is a good friend of mine, we are in the same club, so if we can help we are on here every day. Come to a club meeting and meet a fine bunch of bucket heads

Thanks for the welcome. I would love to go to a club meeting and get a good look look at some of the rides up close. Wondering if it would be possible to sit in one to get a feel for them as well? You can sit in my old Plymouth if you want, lol. Like I said, I am still a long way off from buying a kit, hoping for this winter or next spring, but I like to do as much research as possible. I am about 6 feet tall and 220 lbs so I am wondering if I will even fit in a standard 23, or if I should look into the stretched ones. I really prefer the look of the standards, and I am no stranger to a bit of an uncomfortable ride. My fury is lowered and has a bouncy ride, and before that I had a 650 Yamaha that was hard tailed. But I would like to have room to turn the wheel.

As far as the the kits and stuff go, I have been looking around a bit. I want something that has a bit of a lower stance, with the humped leaf spring in the back. I would really prefer something that is already welded with motor mounts and all that, and preferably comes with a body as well. But, like I said, I have a long way to go before I get there.

Thanks again for making me feel welcome, even if I am still a wannabe, lol. Some of the other sites out there are fun to look at, but they get a bit militant about building a frame yourself, and using only pre 65 parts, real steel bodies, etc. For a guy doing his first real build with limited experience that seems a bit intimidating.

If you are anywhere close to Flippin Ar. this weekend could answer a lot of questions. Just thinkin'.......

Would love to go down there sometime, I hear its beautiful. But usually the closest I get is Springfield to visit family, or Bennett Springs for fishing and canoe trips. I did go to Dog Patch once when I was a kid though. :)

I live in Independence to Dave. When you start your T I would be glad to help. The Cowtownts wont have a meeting this month because of a get together at Osage Beach, but October we will have a meeting, and you would be welcome to attend and meet some of the people, if the weather is nice there will be several cars.

Wondering if it would be possible to sit in one to get a feel for them as well?
I would guess that you can not only sit in any of our Ts, but most of us will let you drive!! I didn't drive a T until I drove mine on its first test drive after completion!! In hind-sight, I may have gone for a stretched body had I known how tight the stock '23 is. And I have short legs (30 inch inseam)!!

I would guess that you can not only sit in any of our Ts, but most of us will let you drive!! I didn't drive a T until I drove mine on its first test drive after completion!! In hind-sight, I may have gone for a stretched body had I known how tight the stock '23 is. And I have short legs (30 inch inseam)!!

I would be ok with just sitting in one and getting a feel for it. I would honestly be kinda nervous driving someone else's car. But I wouldn't mind going for a ride in one. Now I just gotta focus on getting the other car ready to be sold, and that is getting really hard to focus on. Seems I sit in front of the computer for at least an hour every night looking at different kits, build styles, etc. Not sure how I will even decide on one once I do get it sold.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back