Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Open Headers?

Mr. Fixit

Putting aside noise levels, and the governing laws, just wondering how many of you are running with open headers and why. Having built many hot rod custom motorcycles over the years, I have found that there comes a point where (if the engine is breathing well) no mufflers provides more power on the dyno than with mufflers in the headers. Realizing that there is little back pressure at that point, I wonder if this is a good formula for street crusing?

I am constantly seeing rods in the folds of Hot Rodder and Hot Rod magazines that feature cars with open headers and wonder if it is for "show or go" for a properly tuned street cruiser that sees a limited amount. Of WOT. Please enlighten me.

Thanks..

I am running open headers, stock Ford 302 Mustang motor, 26" extensions. I question it, every time I park it from riding around.
I do not know if it is the wind noise or the header noise, that is bothersome. I can get it in a no load cruise and it is barely noticeable, but under any load it gets progressively louder. I tried the sprial diffusers on the other set of headers and hardly noticed any change, although my son said it did not sound as good. I would like to hear the muff inserts. I guess, I am not in love with the sound I have and want to find something else.

At one point, I had some Car Chemistry collector inserts that were still pretty loud, but did quiet down the full open sound without restricting too much flow. Since I lived in a gated neighborhood at the time, I did not keep them long. While I did have them I packed them with some steel wool to quieten down further. Just wanted to be considerate of my neighbors so I put my glass packs back on.

I have 4" straight through racing mufflers on mine. I don't think it could be any louder. After about 30 minutes it will leave your head ringing. I just wanted it legally loud. Tn is real easy on muffler and noise laws. Law says, it has to have a working muffler, nothing about decibels and nothing about enforcing anything else.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Besides the noise, I was wondering if anyone had the experience with and without the mufflers with all other things being equal. Just wondering about the performance differences.

Thanks..

I tried mine without the muffler inserts and it was LOUD! Sounded cool, but LOAD. I have nice neighbors and I like to go for early morning runs. I'd hate to ruin the friendship I have with them. So... I run the inserts. Still sounds like a hot rod. Or maybe a street rod. LOL

You guys got it sweet. We have a prescribed noise test we have to register under 95dBA at. Thats still pretty loud but nowhere near open sprint car type headers which are usually over 100dBA. No such laws for bikes here though, the Harley guys all chug round with straight pipes, least you can hear them coming..................

I tried mine without the muffler inserts and it was LOUD! Sounded cool, but LOAD. I have nice neighbors and I like to go for early morning runs. I'd hate to ruin the friendship I have with them. So... I run the inserts. Still sounds like a hot rod. Or maybe a street rod. LOL

Probably best to stay friendly with the neighbors. Besides it being loud, did the performance differ? Did you lose the low end pull without the muffs?

You guys got it sweet. We have a prescribed noise test we have to register under 95dBA at. Thats still pretty loud but nowhere near open sprint car type headers which are usually over 100dBA. No such laws for bikes here though, the Harley guys all chug round with straight pipes, least you can hear them coming..................

That's no fun. I have had more police trouble with my Harley's due to DBs than my cars, at least so far. Lol

Gonna run Lakester headers with glass packs under car. I can always remove the header end plates if I want to run wide open.

Probably best to stay friendly with the neighbors. Besides it being loud, did the performance differ? Did you lose the low end pull without the muffs?

Man, I didn't even try a drive. It was THAT loud. Where I was building it when I tried it, I was surrounded by people in expensive townhomes. I didn't need the greef. They never complained when I laid rubber, almost every day, but load exhaust would have been the road to trouble.

I have a friend who runs Lake headers with no baffles. You can here him coming from VERY far away. It sounds cool, but only because I can imagine the looks from his neighbors. Besides, these are street cars. Is the power gain really worth the possible legal hassles? My car is registered as a 1920. I have antique plates that I legally don't qualify for. I don't need john law having a reason to check my car too close.

Man, I didn't even try a drive. It was THAT loud. Where I was building it when I tried it, I was surrounded by people in expensive townhomes. I didn't need the greef. They never complained when I laid rubber, almost every day, but load exhaust would have been the road to trouble.

I have a friend who runs Lake headers with no baffles. You can here him coming from VERY far away. It sounds cool, but only because I can imagine the looks from his neighbors. Besides, these are street cars. Is the power gain really worth the possible legal hassles? My car is registered as a 1920. I have antique plates that I legally don't qualify for. I don't need john law having a reason to check my car too close.

Fred,

Those are good points. Mine is registered as a 23 and I am not looking for trouble either, just wondering what the population of rodders are doing.

Thanks,

I'm running auger mufflers welded into the end of my lakes style headers I built. To be fair, they are really long and turnout just in front of my rear tires. I love the sound and they keep the db down to an acceptable level. My girl still wears earplugs, but I think it's ok...

I have side pipes on my bucket and it is still really loud. That being said, we just got back from Cruising the Coast and open pipes, zoomies and what ever else you can think about is the new trend. To be honest they didn't sound any louder then my side pipes.

I tried the Sanderson Zoomies and lost quite a bit of torque. Now I'm running the 20" mufflers with the 7" insert. It's still loud, but the torque is back.

I just put the auger type mufflers in the replaced headers and tubes, today. I had previously cut one of the screws off and notched the blades that were left. I wrapped between the two remaining blades with stainless steel wool. Maybe it will last a little while. I fired it up and the improvement was good. It still sounded like a hotrod, but not like a farm tractor with a split manifold. The wife and I made an 80 mile trip last weekend. I wore earplugs the first leg of 40 miles, nice. She wore her hoodie, I guess it did some good. On the trip back, no earplugs and I knew it the rest of the day. This was my first long trip since the 2.76 to 3.73 gears. It really put the engine in the sweet spot. The speedo is 10 mph fast, but is adjustable, if I can get my hand behind the dash. I googled the distance and used 4 gallons of gas. 20 mpg, I like it, especially with a 7 gallon tank. Got my led taillights in, with a Rapidfire module that pulses 3 times before burning solid. This may be our last week of 60* and higher temp. I need to run it as much as possible. I think we'll go get lunch right now.

I use Dynamax racing mufflers on mine 4" straight trough with no baffles at all. You can actually put your arm through them. With the blower and a straight cut gear drive, it is loud. I have been told it can be heard coming from 2 miles away.

I use Dynamax racing mufflers on mine 4" straight trough with no baffles at all. You can actually put your arm through them. With the blower and a straight cut gear drive, it is loud. I have been told it can be heard coming from 2 miles away.
Ehh!! Whaadja Say

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back