Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Opinions needed, please.

tfeverfred

Today I installed a transmission cooler that I found at the local Auto Bone. It looks like a good spot for it. There is a 1/2" gap between the cooler and the frame to allow the fuel line to pass behind it. I fabricated the brackets from aluminum and used thin pads to cushion the cooling fins from the brackets. It looks like it will work. The bottom portion of the cooler (about 2") is barely visable from a side view, but looks right at place for a home built hot rod. What do you guys think?

23T_pipes0004.jpg

Also, I cut the ends off a pair of 26" extentions (too long anyway) that were given to me. They're not as shiney as the rest of the exhaust, but they are close and FREE. I really like the look, but a friend mentioned that the heat coming from them may be too much for the rear brakes and lines that are on the rearend. The distance from the exhaust exit to the rear tire is about 6" (it routes BEHIND the tire) and about 20" from the rearend tube. I don't think it should be a problem and need some opinions on this as well.

23T_pipes0003.jpg

If these don't work, I'll just give up the cash for the 20" extentions with turnouts.

I don't see a problem but can you post a pic showing where the end is pointed?

Rick said:
I don't see a problem but can you post a pic showing where the end is pointed?

GRRRRR! I didn't get a close up.:eek: The exhaust end faces directly between the frame and the back of the rear tire.

Rick, do I get a thumbs up or down on the heat issue?:neutral:

Untill i see the close up thumbs up from me

Rick said:
Untill i see the close up thumbs up from me

Well, that will be a while. I still take pics the old fashioned way.... with film. But the end of my exhaust is about where the end of your turnouts are on your bucket.

Your trans cooler will be just fine.

From what I can see of your exhaust, it looks to be OK. If you can get a picture of that area, it might show something we can't see from this shot.

I'm with Rick, you get a provisional thumbs-up.

Looks good from here. You have my vote also.

thomas:)

Thanks, Mike and Thomas. I sent Rick an email with a pic and he was able to enlarge it and said it should be okay. I kinda knew it was, but it never hurts to get other opinions. Especially when one of the opinions has experience with these buckets. My neighbor said it would get too hot and melt everything!:rofl: Of course he still kinda thinks it's a dragster and not a street car! Hahah He cracks me up.

So, today my tranny dipstick came and the mufflers for the extentions. The Lokar dipstick is nice and simple. I'll probably mount it to the firewall. Now let me tell you about the "slip in" mufflers. I thought I was going to need to drill a hole in the extentions and run a short bolt to keep them from sliding out. HAHAHA RIGHT! It took quite a bit of "persuation" to get those darn things in. I'm not worried ablout them "slipping" out because they sure as heck didn't slip in!:lol:

So with the dip stick and mufflers installed, my power plant is.......DONE! *pats self on the back* Now I'm keeping an eye out for an auction on that radiator I have had my eye on. If Thomas and Rick remember, the place is close to you guys. The Buy it now price is $365, but I've seen them slip thru for $305. I'm goona try my luck, otherwise I'll pony up the cost. Once I get the radiator, I'm gonna fire her up. I'll try and make a video of the moment, so you guys will have something to laugh at during Thanksgiving.:lol:

i think it looks great fred !! heat probly wont be an issue
the tranny cooler looks cool
i was thinking of only going with the trans cooler in the radiator.
i only have a mild small block (2 bolt mains )
now im up in the air on this shuold i use an exturnal cooler or not ??
by the way my motor should ship on oct 29 and be here first week in nov ( crossed fingers ) i havent ordered tranny yet so it will sit on a stand for a bit

datonamanmike said:
i think it looks great fred !! heat probly wont be an issue
the tranny cooler looks cool
i was thinking of only going with the trans cooler in the radiator.
i only have a mild small block (2 bolt mains )
now im up in the air on this shuold i use an exturnal cooler or not ??
by the way my motor should ship on oct 29 and be here first week in nov ( crossed fingers ) i havent ordered tranny yet so it will sit on a stand for a bit

I chose to use an external cooler because I have had good luck with them in the past. My full size daily driver uses just an external cooler. The combination of my stock engine & tranny and the light weight of a T Bucket should be no problem for the cooler I chose. It's rated for an intermediate size car weighing over 3,000 LB. I think it will do fine. I also was looking for a cleaner look and didn't want to run lines up to the radiator. With a stock drivetrain, I think it's just a matter of choice with cars this light. I think with a stock engine and tranny, the cooler in the radiator would do fine. That, however would depend on the quality of the radiator.

I don't know how many of you have ever heard of Griner Transmissions. Steve was actually one of the first persons to ever cut a torque converter apart and modify it for higher stall speeds. Remember back in the mid to late 70's when NHRA was having hissy fits about automatic trans racers using lock-up torque converters? That was Steve. Internal trans brakes for PowerGlides and Turbo 400's (long before anyone else knew what they actually were) were also a couple of Steve's brainstorms. Coan Transmissions? Dave Coan used to use Steve's transmissions in a front-motored B/ED that Danny Nimmo drove. The car would leave the starting line, you would hear it shift to high gear and then Danny would lock the converter at about half-track. It was pretty impressive watching the car snatch the front end up in the air, that far down track. :eek:

Steve is from here in the Lafayette area and I've known him for 35+ years. When we ran the A/ED back in the late 70's and early 80's, his transmissions and converters were all we used.

He always said trans fluid would pick up more heat in a radiator cooler than it was capable of transferring in an external cooler. However, people in this part of the country that would be driving in the winter months would need the radiator cooler in the loop, just to warm the trans fluid, as it would never come up to temperature with just an external cooler.

If a car is using a high stall speed converter, it needs a larger cooler to handle the higher trans temperatures. When we're talking about the curb weight of a T-Bucket, extremely loose converters are a waste of time and money. No heavier than they are, you could never approach the same stall speeds as the same converter in a car in the 3200-3600 lb range.

What this all comes down to is this. In TX, you will have great luck with running just an external cooler. In MI, the external cooler will work well if the car is only driven in summer weather. In either instance, if you are running a stock converter or a converter that is only ~500 RPM loose, the radiator cooler will do the job all by itself.

Thanks for the info, Mike! The knowledge base on this site is growing every day.

I just noticed that I'm a senior member! Do I get a cane or a walker? LOL

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back