Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Postcard from Frisco!

STONER

I've had this '23 bucket for two years now and don't know much about its history. I know it last came from Oregon and I heard it might have been in a magazine in the '60s, but haven't seen any evidence of that. It's got a T-350 automatic in it and I was told it replaced the original Powerglide that the car was built with. That and the wheels and tires seem to be the only changes to the car since it was built in the early '60s, but that's just a reasonable guess. Can you dig it!

Attachments

• 10533789-7BE2-4642-98D4-8B87736BD01C 2.JPG
    10533789-7BE2-4642-98D4-8B87736BD01C 2.JPG
    473.3 KB · Views: 22
Welcome aboard! Cool ride there. Definitely full of '60's vibe - Buick nailhead, VHT coated headers, Hallcrafts in the front, Ansens in the rear. It's a neat survivor-type hotrod. How does it drive?

Welcome aboard! Cool ride there. Definitely full of '60's vibe - Buick nailhead, VHT coated headers, Hallcrafts in the front, Ansens in the rear. It's a neat survivor-type hotrod. How does it drive?
Good eye! And you're right--it's an absolute survivor. It's a great bar-hopper, but it gets a little sketchy at-speed on the freeway. One thing I can't figure out, tho: how do I figure out who made the body? I can't find any distinguishing marks or numbers on it, but maybe I don't know where to look?

how do I figure out who made the body? I can't find any distinguishing marks or numbers on it
Given its history on the West Coast, I'd guess it's from CCR (California Custom Roadsters). If you're ever near Chino, drop by their office & see if they can help.

Given its history on the West Coast, I'd guess it's from CCR (California Custom Roadsters). If you're ever near Chino, drop by their office & see if they can help.
Too new, Spanky! CCR was started in '72, I think? This thing has its roots in the early-mid '60s--would that be U.S. Speed Sport or Cal Custom or...?

I'd opt for U S Speed Sport - their bodies have some of the details that I notice on your car, like the bed hinges and the little "shelf" around the edge of the cowl where the hood would fit.

(PS - I don't know why the link is in weird letters . . . :rolleyes: )

Last edited:
I'd opt for U S Speed Sport - their bodies have some of the details that I notice on your car, like the bed hinges and the little "shelf" around the edge of the cowl where the hood would fit.

(PS - I don't know why the link is in weird letters . . . :rolleyes: )
That's great intel--I've never heard that before, but that gives me some direction to go in!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back